Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our dog has been diagnosed with..

oreokitty
July 31st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Kidney failure on Friday. We are devastated! Kohl is three year old Doberman. They did a urin and blood test. Could they be wrong?

His symptoms are:

He has lost about 10 pounds in the last five months
Increase in appetite
Throwing up in the AM
Diarrhea
LOVES water

Could this be just worms? Or he has been on a special food that has cranberries for his peeing problem. Could that have altered his results? The vet says that we should put him down because he doesn't have a good quality of life. But he is a very happy active dog not a sickly dog at all. Could the vet be wrong? If so what easily could it be? He did show worms in his stool and we started him on tape worm medication.. Could it be that?

jawert1
July 31st, 2006, 08:33 PM
He could also have a thyroid condition that an ACTH test (timed water deprivation) would prove out, and with meds, could live a long happy life. I would get a second opinion and have them do the water deprivation test to rule it out. Good luck and keep us posted, and be sure to let the 2nd vet know his diet and recent meds.

mastifflover
July 31st, 2006, 08:39 PM
I would get a second opinion as well. I would not go on one set of blood panels and urine especially with something as drastic as having my dog pts. Make sure you give the next vet all the info you possibly can think of. Keep us posted and good luck.

Maya
July 31st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Vets can certainly be wrong, it sounds like your instincts are telling you to look into a second opinion. The symptom of increased appetite doesn't sound like it goes with kidney failure also when my cat had kideny failure he was constipated quite often. I'm not experienced with lots of animals though so wouldn't want to give false hope. One vet I had kept missing something really obvious in my other kitty :( So I am a strong believer in second opinions, it would be nice if this vet you saw was wrong:fingerscr

oreokitty
August 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
I am praying and praying that they are wrong. My dog is like my son being told that your son is dieing is the hardest thing I have ever gone though.,,

I will for sure ask about the water deprevation. If you can think of anything else I should ask please please post it.

rainbow
August 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM
I would definitely take your dog to a different vet for a second opinion. Good luck and keep us posted. :pawprint: :dog:

dogmelissa
August 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Even if it is kidney failure, they should be able to live at least awhile, fairly happily and otherwise healthy on a kidney-food, usually Hill's K/D (vet-prescription food). There is no reason to euthanise your dog unless they're obviously suffering or have a sharp decrease in their quality of life.

What was the peeing problem that he was eating the cranberry food for? Could this have been caused by the kidney failure?

I would recommend a second opinion as well, but even if the second vet comes back with the same diagnosis, they might offer other alternatives to euthanasia.

If the vet you're currently going to now would suggest euthanasia over treatment, they might not be a vet that you want to take your dog (and other pets) to. I know that I certainly wouldn't go back to a vet that suggested euthanasia as a first option!

Not sure if this will help, but my mom's cat is currently 19 yrs old, and was diagnosed with kidney failure more than 3 years ago. The vet told her at the time that cats generally don't show symptoms of kidney failure until they're more than 70% gone. I can't remember why he was checked for this, but when he was diagnosed, his food was switched immediately to the Hill's K/D. He happily eats that, and despite his age, it's not his kidneys which are getting worse; he's now going blind and deaf. He's got other age-related issues, too. But what I wanted to show you is that kidney disease is not necessarily a death sentence, that it can be controlled and the progression possibly stopped, with the right diet. Please look into the Hills K/D food.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
Melissa

Prin
August 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm so sorry for your doggy's diagnosis. I don't have any wisdom to offer, but I hope you find a way to cope and keep your doggy comfortable.:grouphug:

mastifflover
August 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
After looking at those symptoms again is it possible he is diabetic that would be something else to check out

Buddy's Heart
August 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Being a mother of a doggie with several different diseases, i am with the rest of this group............NEW VET.........

My little guy is cushionoid, diabetic, and has had Pancretitis issues. When first diagnosed, text book said: 1 year....going into 4 years.

Do a complete blood panel, with add-on: Amylase/Lipase...Pancreas
Frutosomine: Diabetes
On the blood panel look for the elevation in enzeymes. ALT - Liver,
SGT - Cushions

Never just take the FIRST diagnosis...........Find another vet, do the tests, ultrasound..whatever it takes...........

Prayers be with you.......
Buddy and Nola
Pet Chaplains

rainbow
August 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Oreokitty, do you have an update?

dogmelissa
August 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Oreo... if you get online before the weekend, please update and also I sent you a PM.

Melissa