Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oakville HS

chico2
July 31st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Our HS has a regular write-up in our local paper.
Yesterday it was about all the cats they have,every room even bathrooms have cats in them:sad:
They also mentioned a By-Law I had no idea about,apparently it is against the law to let your cat roam,the cat has to stay on your property,it also has to wear a collar and ID,or be microchipped,be spayed/neutered.
The problem is enforcing such a by-law and roaming cats will end up at HS,often not claimed.
People who for some reason(and there are many stupid selfish ones) want to
drop off their cat,have to wait a couple of months at the moment,since there is no more room at HS.
I can only imagine what those people end up doing to their poor cats:sad:
But I am encouraged by our HS,fighting for a by-law,even if it is not often enforceable.

jiorji
July 31st, 2006, 05:57 PM
is that only for Oakville or for the GTA?

I'll have to warn my mom's friend about his cat who goes out at night.

OntarioGreys
August 1st, 2006, 06:52 AM
It becomes very much enforcable if you lose your cat and it gets picks up by A/C and you go to claim it. ZThat is when you get hit by the by-law fines and each infraction is fined seperately so if a by-law fine is $200

you could be charged $200 for roaming at large, $200 for not being neutered, $200 for not having ID, if no current rabies another $200 so a possible total of $800 just in bylaw violations plus release fees from the shelter.

They don't need to have enforcers patrolling the street, after a while word gets around from others that got hit with fines when they got to the shelter to find their cat or if a neighbour complains

chico2
August 1st, 2006, 07:55 AM
Once I called HS about a young beautiful cat,whom I had been feeding for a couple of days,it was rainy and cold and he was miserable so I took him in and called.
They came and picked him up and when I called the next morning,the owner had gotten him back,the cat was microchipped,the first thing HS checks for.
The owner later called and thanked me,he only had to pay a $20 fine.
There are pros and cons,people who don't care,most likely will not pay to get their cat back,but people who do will be happy the cat was found.
Jiorji,I am not sure,but I believe this is a municipal by-law.
It does not mean HS is out hunting for stray cats,but if I find a cat in distress,they will pick him/her up and care for him/her.
Heck,they even pick up animals found dead on the road and if you find a wounded bird,they have a special area for birds,I once saw a rooster,a pigeon and a canada goose in the same large enclosure.
I might be a gullable dummie,but I have always had a very good feeling about our HS and I've visited many times over the years,spoken to volonteers.

Skryker
August 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM
chico, a few years ago I worked for the answering service that Oakville Humane used for after-hours. They were all great people then, and I can't think that that has changed at all in the time that has passed. Everyone there truly loves animals and will go to great lengths to help them. I used to work 11pm-7am and so ended up speaking with the A/C officers in the middle of the night, when they would get up out of bed to go pick up an injured animal and take it to the emergency vet or otherwise do rescues. Great people, and I have no problems giving Oakville HS a big :thumbs up !

chico2
August 1st, 2006, 05:42 PM
Skryker,in all my dealings with them,I always felt that way..although I never leave there without crying for all those needy animals:sad: