Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jealous doggy?

Brat
July 31st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Whenever my boyfriend and I hug or kiss, my dog goes nuts.

He'll start barking and getting between us. Doing everything he can to make it very unromantic. He's a funny one!

But I'm wondering why he does this. He doesn't look mean, he looks playful. Does he think we want to play? Is he jealous? Does he think that we are fighting/hurting eachother?

Does anyone else's dog do this?

Hunter's_owner
July 31st, 2006, 06:47 PM
Hunter does this as well. I have no idea why, and like you said he doesn't seem mean about it, but he barks and jumps up on us. But the funny thing is it could be anybody. If any relatives come that we haven't seen in awhile and they hug someone (even if it isn't me or my boyfriend), he will try to jump on them also. I guess it is jealousy, but I really don't know.:o

jesse's mommy
July 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Jesse does this all the time. She doesn't let us snuggle very much. We think it's because she gets jealous when someone touches her "daddy". It's her daddy and her daddy only. She lllloooooovvvvveeeessss her daddy. :love:

phoenix
July 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM
Sam does this also. We think it's because he loves his mommy :queen:

hehe. He doesn't jump on us. He stares at my DH and barks.

MyBirdIsEvil
July 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Something like that is usually a dominance issue whether it's agressive or not.
Kind of like if you have 2 dogs and you're petting one and the other one keeps jumping on you wanting attention, that's a dominance thing, the dog thinks you should be giving it all the attention because it's a higher pack member.
I guess there's not really anything wrong with it though unless the dog has other issues, suddenly gets agressive or you find the behavior unacceptable.
Lots of dogs will exhibit dominance behavior in certain situations but never have issues with anything else at all.
One of my dogs sometimes exhibits dominant behavior toward my other dog when he gets lots of attention, but NEVER towards people.
All dogs exhibit pack behavior, but it's just not really noticeable usually unless it starts to cause problems.