Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Something is eating all the cats

scuba0095
July 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hello

In my neibourhood something is eating everyones cat. Most cats just vanish and one owner actually found her cat chewed up and eaten! ITs so close to a conjested area have any of you ever experienced this? Theirs walmarts shopping malls resturants all that stuff here. You would think a cat being a decent sized carnivore with strong jaws sharp teeth and powerful claws most predators would stay clear of them and look for something easier to get? Whatever animal it is is oviously not effected by cat bites or clawing because it has gotten so many cats in such a short period of time! we stopped letting our cat out, or at least try to she still sneaks out tho :( but have you guys delt with this before? Will this creature just eat all the neibourhood cats and then move away when it thinks thiers no more cats to eat? They are doing construction and 2 coyotes have been reported living in the woods in the area but how could such a big animal be creeping in the neibourhoods peoples yards etc. . snaching cats without being seen?

happycats
July 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
We had the same problem in my parents urban neighborhood. Turned out to be a red fox, we actually saw it with a large cat, and my father actually saw it go after and kill a cat (he tried to save the cat, but the fox was to quick) .
I never thought a fox would be big enough to take out a cat, but I guess they are smart and sneaky enough.(I have also seen a female fox here at our office kill stray cats)

That's one ofthe reasons why I have only indoor cats.

badger
July 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM
Sounds like coyotes to me, they are a problem in many built-up areas, attracted by garbage, domestic animals and strays. Keep a close eye on your critters, they're no match for coyotes.

rainbow
July 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Definitely sounds like coyotes to me as well. We have lots of them around and they are very quick and sneaky. They will also attack small dogs as well.

scuba0095
July 31st, 2006, 04:11 PM
OMg that red fox thing is SHocking ive seen lots of interactions between foxes and cats the foxes usually dont mess with them

Foxes and cats share the same enemyies both fishers and coyotes will kill either or

LM1313
August 1st, 2006, 02:54 AM
Could quite likely be coyotes, I know they kill cats around here.