Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with Sarcoptic Mange

TucksMom
July 31st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Hi Everyone! Hope someone can help my puppy is a Boston Terrier and he's 8 mths old, about the beginning of june he started getting really itchy and biting at his fur, when he started to cut up his ears i took him to the vet who did a whole lot of expensive tests to tell me what it wasen't, she says its not yeast or demodectic mange and not ear mites or allergies so she says that leaves sarcotic mange. After reading up on the interenet i know i have a long haul ahead of me but anything to make my baby feel better. She prescribed prednizone and gave him a dose of revolution and we went back 3 weeks later for another revolution dose and he was clearing up everything was looking good untill the meds ran out and now its worse then it was before, he's due for another revolution which we are taking him for this week. I have tried tea tree oil to sooth his skin mixed it with his shampoo and with water in a spray bottle and I'm using an expensive oatmeal shampoo. He's cuting himself with his nails (I trim them often and buff them to help them not be so sharp) he has a bald spot on his side and has been really chewing at his legs and joints and tail area and scratching his armpits. I'm really hoping the revolution will work but if anyone has any other ideas or anything I can do to try and comfort him untill something works? I can take pics tonight if anyone wanted to see what I'm dealing with. Thanks for listening!

jessi76
July 31st, 2006, 12:39 PM
it can be treated... ask your vet about ivermectin. I don't advise washing the dog w/ a shampoo at all, as it may wash off the revolution. (revolution is a topical treatment, correct?)

another option would be a mitaban dip - but I'd only do that as last resort. it's a very serious chemical dip. (and personally, I wouldn't dip a puppy of 8mths)

you may also need an antibiotic for secondary infections caused from all the scratching. to lessen scratching you can ask your vet for an e-collar. (one of those cones to prevent the dog getting to the spots)

my dog had the other mange... demodex. which was easily treated with a topical ointment, Goodwinol. I'm not sure if it's effective for sarcoptic though.

good luck.

TucksMom
July 31st, 2006, 01:07 PM
I haven't tried Ivermectin yet I've heard about it though and I will ask my vet. They said it was safe to bathe him 24 hrs after the revolution was applied ai guess it does whatever it has to do in that time and it is topical they apply it to his back. He was on prednizone for 3 weeks i heard its not healthy to put him on that for long periods of time, he was on another antibiotic before that but i dunno what it was called the pills were big and orange and smelly. The dips make me a little nervous just because they are so strong and he's so small and young. Thanks for your feedback.

jessi76
July 31st, 2006, 01:24 PM
be sure to wash your hands well. sarcoptic mange is contagious. the mites can't live long on humans, but can live long enough to cause a rash and irritation.

just an fyi.

keep us posted!

TucksMom
July 31st, 2006, 01:32 PM
Unfortunatly I learned that one already I had a small rash on my wrist and my bf has one on his side. Thanks! and I will keep you posted

Maxine
July 31st, 2006, 03:07 PM
Hi there! Sorry to hear about your pooch :(
When you said he was scratching himself, i though of technodoll (hopefully im right) talking about softpaws or something like that to put on the nails, I saw it in the post about hardwood floors, and I can't find it right now. Maybe at least it will prevent from hurting himself while he is healing... I hope it will help!:thumbs up

Maxine

TucksMom
July 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Are you talking about something that would cover his paws? That's a good idea thanks!

Carlson
October 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Hello, Just checking to see if your dog is any better. My dogs have mites also and I along with my husband caught them from the dogs. My Vet. put my dogs on Invermectin shots every 14 days along with Revolution every 12 days. They no longer have to have benadryl and seem to be able to rest and sleep at ease. We are in our 8th month of dealing with this and my husband and I still break out when we touch our dogs. I wish I could read one post where someone has successfully gotten rid of these mites. It would give me hope. R. Carlson

TucksMom
October 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Unfortunatly he's not better and I have lost all faith in my vet. My dog is on prednozone and Ivermectin orally once a day for 60 days and no change, i mean the prednizon helps but when its done he's back to scratching. Now I've been getting advice from others and looking things up over the internet and I'm being led to believe he may not even have mites in the first place he may have a food allergy. I'm frustrated because my dog is only 10 mths old and he's going through hell and if it is a food allergy I could have started treating that right away and not 8 months later, damn vet.

Good luck with your dog!

jessi76
October 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
i'm confused... (as i'm sure you are too).. your vet should of done a skin scraping to CONFIRM mites (mange) before any treatment was given. when my dog had demodex (the other mange) throughout the treatment, we got periodic skin scrapings to see if mites were still there. were skin scrapings done? it's very easy - the vet takes a flat razor blade, scrapes the skin (a few layers) and looks at it under a scope - mites should be seen, dead or alive.

it could very well be an allergy, but I suggest you seek professional advice from another vet to at least confirm it's NOT mange.

I'm so sorry for you & your pooch.. please keep us updated

TucksMom
October 16th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Yeah she did do skin scrapings but she said that with Sarcoptic mange often you do not see any mites on the slide because they are too quick. First I am going to change his food to Natural Balance Potato and duck and give him treats with matural ingredients and none of the major common allergens and if nothing changes in a week hes going to a new vet for an exam. THanks for your concern :)

adallis
October 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Just wanted to wish you all the best with your doggie. Please keep us posted.

I just found out that my doggie has demodectic mange after they scraped a small area to confirm that it was mange. They have perscribed demodex along with antibiotics. He is very sleepy these days.

Take care.
a