Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

An unexpected guest!

Skryker
July 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
About an hour ago, I heard noise in the kitchen and wonder what was going on in there. I thought the cat was playing with something, but then I realized she was in the bedroom with me, and the dogs were in the living room with my daughter and her friend.

So I thought maybe we had another mouse-well, it was a rodent, but not a mouse! There was a little bat flitting around the kitchen and dining nook.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0337.jpg

He finally landed on the blind; I had moved the screen and was hoping he would crawl down and out the window. Nope. Seemed very calm about the whole thing, really. He let me get very close and it really seemed like he was going to land on me several times while he was flying around.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0334.jpg

I was able to undo half the blind before he flew off again. We finally got him over by the pantry and he has been safely returned to the outdoors, no injuries to any involved parties. :D

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0340.jpg

Cute little thing!

Skryker
July 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Oops! This is a better picture of the little fur-face!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/Arkayos/IMG_0335.jpg

Bushfire2000
July 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
You're very brave.
Even though I know that they wont hurt me and people out here want them around to keep the bugs down.
I still would have been "freaking out". :crazy:
Bats ,Mice ,Snakes none of them for me.

He's cute as long as he stays in your pictures.

glasslass
July 30th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I would have been freaking for sure! Some bats found in town around this area have been found to have rabies. I've heard they're good for eating mosquitos.

Shaykeija
July 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I have handled small brown bats before. Where I work there is a lot of them and i try to get outside to watch them wake up. They are so neat. They stretch like a cat before they fly. People freak when they all take off, and I am the only fool standing out there laughing while they whirl around me. I have never had one hit me or land on me. During the day if they are a little low on the walls I have been known to pet their little heads. They are so soft. Then I encourage them to climb a little higher. Some people will knock them off the wall while they are sleeping. Mean buggers. With all the West Nile stuff everyone should encourage these little beasties to roost around their property. They can eat up to 1000 skitters each. I :love: bats....

glasslass
July 31st, 2006, 12:04 AM
I couldn't resist taking a photo of an antique oriental chest that I have. This is a handle on the side. Notice it's a bat? Bats are the Chinese symbol for happiness.

glasslass
July 31st, 2006, 12:05 AM
Another shot of the corner - also a bat!

Prin
July 31st, 2006, 12:41 AM
Yey a bat!! I grew up in the woods, and they came in pretty often... They're creepy, but still pretty cool...:o

chico2
July 31st, 2006, 07:34 AM
Awww,he's cute,I've never seen a wild bat,glad he found his way out,unhurt:thumbs up

Skryker
July 31st, 2006, 09:56 AM
He certainly was a little cutey (although he unleashed the bat version of the "barrage of fury" at us when I tried to get him from on top of the panty door and when he was gently scooped up with thick gloves to be returned to the outside). I've always loved bats.

There are tons outside at night, between the large trees in other people's yards (the previous owner deforested our yard completely :frustrated: )and the lights in the parking lot behind us. I like watching them zip around out there after dark, eating mosquitos.

Bushfire-I have no issues with mice, bats or snakes but spiders freak me out and rats scare the crap out of me. :eek:

glasslass, that is a beautiful chest! And if bats sybolize happiness then he can visit anytime he likes. :D Actually, I think this might be the same little guy that we found sleeping on the dining nook wall one morning. My husband returned him to the outside then. And we've had an occasion overday guest in the stairwell going upstairs, too. Huh, maybe the colony outcast comes and visits us?

dtbmnec
July 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
He's so cute :)

I went to a neat tunnel place and there were tons of little holes in the wall (made completely by water centuries ago, up near Ottawa...can't rememeber the name..."bona-something caverns"...big touristy thing too :)) and the guide warned us that there might be bats in the little holes and to not poke unwary hands in unless we've taken a look with a flashlight. It was cool too. We didnt see any bats though :(

I think my only "real" experience with a bat was when one got into our house. All I remember is mom trying really really hard not to curl into a terrified ball in the middle of the kitchen floor (she has a phobia of wings...butterflies scare her) while her and dad tried to get the bat without hurting it or trying to herd the bat towards the open door/window....I think I found it rather funny at the time too :)

Insects are icky....bats are ok....snakes are iffy....spiders are ok (unless they sneak up on me :) )

Megan

rainbow
July 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Well, I'd have been freaking :crazy: with Bushfire and Glasslass. :D

Brat
July 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
he is so cute! I just wanna pet him and kiss his little head.

jawert1
July 31st, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'm with Brat on this one, I love bats and having grown up in the country (now living in Hellburbia), I terribly miss their sillhouettes against the dusk as they swoop and dive catching a meal.

Bushfire2000
July 31st, 2006, 08:29 PM
When my husband was in the hospital for an operation, many years ago, the hospital was undergoing some renovation and a bat got lost in his(my husbands area) and the nurses freaked so there went my poor husband after his operation down the hall saving the nurses from the poor little batty. He tells this story with a great deal of pride that even after the operation(a minor one) he could save the day. The bat was released unharmed outside.

Me I would have been running and hiding with the nurses.

That is a great looking chest. I'd love to have one like it.

AliSam
July 31st, 2006, 08:54 PM
I would have lost my mind. Those things scare me to death. I can handle bugs but I am petrified of bats.