Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Noise problem

MERI
July 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Hi!
Today I met my downstairs neighbors and listened to many things about my noisy dog. Of course it's not only the dog who makes them unhappy, but people don't fly usually:( - so there is nothing to do about it.
The problem is that the dog is sleeping right above their bedroom and he has a seasonal allergy, so - sometimes he is scratching himself. They told me that the noise of scratching dog makes them wake up and they are going to complain to the landlord.
Please, if somebody had similar problem, could you tell me what is solution.
I've already been to the vet and it didn't help. I'm going to another vet again next week with hope for the best, but for now his scratching is not something that I can control.
I really feel bad. This neighbors are always complaining, but not very pleasant as the neighbors themselves.
Could they actually do something about my dog?
Thanks.
Will appreciate your opinion.

Puppyluv
July 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I'm really suprised that they can hear your dog scratching himself through the floors... this seems a little extreme, as if they are perhaps stretching the truth. Can they do something? Yes. If they complain enough, and you can't prove it's not true, they can have your dog removed. Did the vet prescribe any medications for the allergies? If not, I would deffinately inquire about that option.

MERI
July 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Puppyluv!
I don't know what they are hearing. I always thought that my dog is the quietest dog in the world:) . I hear his scratching at the morning, but at night he is sleeping. He doesnt jump, not running, just walking. he is basset hound. Yes he is big - 60 pounds.
He was on prednisone due his allergy. he didn't scratch then - just was sleeping all the time. I don't think I can keep hem on prednisone for 6 months.
So he is in e-collar. I have appointment for the next week with Dr Eric Foot. Hope he will suggest something.
Actually they have the dog themselves - but small one:)

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 09:30 PM
try to speak to them and convince them that you're doing everything in your power to minimize the noise. But from what you make them sound like I doubt they'll care.

Try to get some really thick carpeting or rugs to minimize the noise. Or maybe try putting another rug in the spot your dog sleeps in at night. If you have no carpeting, the noise of even the smallest of steps can be heard easier downstairs. In my bedroom i have those green Ikea rag rugs and in the living room i have a thicker rug and I can tell the bedroom is more likely to be more noisy. or try to get your dog to sleep on a really big pillow. That'll muffle the sound for sure.

My building's floors and walls are really thin too so I know what you're going through and I can only imagine what my neighbours are thinking about 3 am cat chases:frustrated: but thank goodness so far there's been no complaints :fingerscr

But hold on..........how are they sure it's your dog's scratching that's waking them up?? How can they even prove that? Does your lease allow dogs in the apartment?

If they complain to the landlord tell, i'd tell them you're up most of the night and will try to keep the foot tapping to a minimum lol
And if your neighbours are noisy too....tell the landlord about that too.

mummummum
July 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Maybe an oatmeal bath (Aveeno makes one) to soothe his itchy skin? Salmon oil capsules to lessen his dry skin/ coat? A real good brushing each night to loosen up the dry skin and promote oil production ?

MERI
July 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Jiorji!
It's me who was stupid enough to tell them that my dog is sleeping there and he is very quite, but scratches now because of allergy :sad:
They were asking what makes that noise "tap-tap-tap-tap..." against the floor. So I suggested that maybe it's scratching - what else?
I should have kept silence and just tel them that I have no idea? Too late:(
I will really check today what's going on at night with my dog.
There is nothing in my lease about pets. But when I signed the lease I asked the landlord about pets. He said that I can have any pets - dog or cat - it's fine with him. There was a dog before we moved in. Maybe he didn't suffered for allergy.

MERI
July 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
mummummum, you mean Aveno for human?
I brush him almost every evening. And I have oatmeal shampoo.

My concern is that they are not relly happy with us at all. Not just with my dog :o

But they can't do a lot against my 8 years old son - so the dog is a good target.

mummummum
July 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Meri, it doesn't matter all that much whether there is a clause which allows you to have pets. You may want to find out what your rights are as a tenant. The legislation will be slightly different in Quebec than the Tenant Protection Act of Ontario but what you are looking for specifically are the grounds upon which you can be evicted. In Ontario, the language in a situation like yours refers to interference with the reasonable enjoyment of the premises. So, it doesn't really matter whether it is your eight year old son or your sixty lb dog making the noise - it's the noise that's the issue. Thick carpet as jiorji suggests and trying to lessen your doggies need to scratch may be your best bet - oh and a winning smile for your WONDERFUL NEIGHBOURS of course:D !

MERI
July 31st, 2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks! I will try to do my best.
Last night I checked my dog very often. He was sleeping.
He woke up at 6:50 and scratched a bit. But was not knocking at all:confused: I wonder what they hear downstairs.
So carpet for now! And maybe I should look for another apartment:sad:

mastifflover
July 31st, 2006, 07:51 AM
Or maybe they should look for a new apartment. Get a thick carpet and tell them you have moved your dogs bed to another room even if you don't. I am sure if you listen you will hear there dog. If they are still complaing keep track of all the noise there dog makes. Or buy them ear plugs

pitgrrl
July 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM
In quebec the laws are laregly on the side of the tenant. Even if they had grounds to try and evict you, which is doesn't really sound like they do, it is a long process.
You can just call the Regie de Logement and talk to an agent.Here's the phone number for Mtl.: 1-514-873-2245

badger
July 31st, 2006, 11:19 AM
but people don't fly usually - so there is nothing to do about it.

Sorry, I'm thick as a plank. What does this mean?

Don't panic. Yes, you were a little, ah, forthcoming, but never mind. Make sure you have a carpet in there to absorb some of the sound. Maybe he could stay in a room which is not directly above their bedroom? And definitely talk to the Régie, so you know your rights.

I hope you can find a solution to his scratching.

jiorji
July 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM
In quebec the laws are laregly on the side of the tenant. Even if they had grounds to try and evict you, which is doesn't really sound like they do, it is a long process.
You can just call the Regie de Logement and talk to an agent.Here's the phone number for Mtl.: 1-514-873-2245

that's not true.

in my case the tenants are allowed pets as long as there's no complaint. If someone complaints I and anyone else can get evicted. The lease doesn't say pets, if it did it would be a different story. That's why it's a bit tricky with the lease, if it's just based on word of mouth, as the landlord has an advantage.

they give you a month to find a new place. DOesn't sound like a long process to me.

LM1313
July 31st, 2006, 12:13 PM
I think she/he means that the neighbors complain about the noise from people walking around . . . My neighbor downstairs did the same thing. "Wah wah, you walk around after 10 PM and it wakes us up!" Sheesh, what would they do if I had a job on a night shift?

Prin
July 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Why not just buy a big fluffy dog bed? That way there will be padding between you and them.

pitgrrl
July 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM
that's not true.

in my case the tenants are allowed pets as long as there's no complaint. If someone complaints I and anyone else can get evicted. The lease doesn't say pets, if it did it would be a different story. That's why it's a bit tricky with the lease, if it's just based on word of mouth, as the landlord has an advantage.

they give you a month to find a new place. DOesn't sound like a long process to me.

The regie states that unless the lease includes a clause which bans pets in the rental, they are allowed by default. I realize people can be evicted due to noise complaints, animals, etc. I've had my share of dog/landlord issues.

My point was only that there is a process to being evicted and tenants should be aware of their rights as renters. A hearing at the regies doesn't happen over night, and there is an appeal process, so if one chooses to go that route one can buy themselves alot more time to find another place to live.
It has been my experience, however, that landlords often don't want to go to the regie any more than a tenant does, and if one is armed with the an understanding of the housing laws and willing to try and figure something else out, that often works.

MERI
July 31st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for your input!
This week I will by new big dog bed and a carpet. If it helps I would be happy (easy solution :) ).
And of course I will check with rental board what could I expect and what are my rights. And will watch for them (neighbors) as well. Will count every "bark" of their dog:D
For my dog scratching it's not so easy (you know). I'm trying hard and really hope the the new vet will help.
Thank you all from Bilbo Basset as well!

badger
July 31st, 2006, 07:07 PM
There are many threads here about skin problems in dogs. Chosen at random:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6168&highlight=dog+itchy

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21370&highlight=dog+itchy

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21133&highlight=dog+itchy

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9943&highlight=dog+itchy