Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat prefers to eat wild animals?

scuba0095
July 30th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Hello

I feed my cat good food Innova my vet said it was the best out there. ANyways My cat still catches and eats rabbits when she goes outside? SHe tries to eat the whole thing! Ive caught her eating one twice does anyone elses cat Actually hunt and eat animals even when u feed them the best food out there??

IF so what ?? ? She doesnt even touch her food if she gets her own wild rabbit.

Ed U KayShawn
July 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yes they do! Cats are amazing hunters, however, if you have an outdoor cat the best thing to do for the baby animals birds, bunnies etc is to put a bell on your cats neck. It must be a breakaway collar and expect to lose several of them but that is the sacrifice we must make to let our cats outside! Everyone has to co-habitat on this beautiful earth.

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
hunting wild animals has nothing to do with her diet i'm afraid. Some cats have the hunting instinct stronger than others. Especially if she's an outdoors cat. She can't restrain the urge to hunt. ANd if she eats them it's part of the job, not necessarly because she's hungry.

a bell is a good idea. There's collar bells that make noise to prevent birds and mice when a cat is approaching. This will make things more challenging for her. I'm sure she;ll love it

MyBirdIsEvil
July 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM
if you have an outdoor cat the best thing to do for the baby animals birds, bunnies etc is to put a bell on your cats neck

I second this, but I've known cats that just learned to put their chin down and muffle the bell, lol. Also, it may still catch older or sickly animals, because they won't be able to get away fast enough :( .

Some cats just have VERY strong hunting instincts. I used to have a big tabby cat that would catch baby rabbits and just eat the heads :yuck: . Who knows what some cats are thinking, lol.

badger
July 31st, 2006, 01:50 AM
My neighbour downstairs told me yesterday that Bill caught AND ate a squirrel last week!! I'm still not sure if I believe it...
If your cat is a good hunter and eats its prey, just remember to worm her a couple of times a year and make sure her vaccs are current (which doesn't necessarily mean every year; I hear the vet's handbook recommends every three years, even though most push for them annually. This issue is discussed at length elsewhere on the board).

PS Or at least have her tested for worms periodically.

chico2
July 31st, 2006, 08:28 AM
I second what Badger said,cats will get worms and possibly other problems from eating mice,bunnies etc...squirrels are also full of fleas.
My Rocky unfortunately caught a young sparrow yesterday when I was not watching,the bird died instantly from a broken neck:sad: once dead and not moving,Rocky did not bother with it anymore.
Even if they catch the odd mouse under my deck,they will not eat it,just torture it,which I put a stop to,even a little mouse feels pain..
Mostly my cats stick to bugs,which is fine with me,they've learned the hard way,bees are not good snacks:yell:

SunnysMum
July 31st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hunter instincts! Some cats have them more than others.

We were at a neighbours, in their backyard (we had to take Sunny out because we were having an open house to sell our house). Anyway, the indoor only cat, on a harness and leash, caught and killed a bird in about 3 seconds! My daughter tried to save the bird, but Sunny broke its neck almost immediately (this should not have surprised us - the way he attacks his toys sometimes!).

I don't know if he would have tried to eat it though -- we took it away from him quickly (we were not really willing to sit there at watch if he was going to eat it....:yuck: )

My daughter was a little upset - Sunny is well taken care of and not hungry so she figured he was "killing for sport". We all explained to her that it is in his nature to hunt and kill. He is our loving housepet, yes -- but he is a cat! :cat:

Kristin7
July 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM
I had a cat while growing up who did the same thing. We lived out in the country, she was taken as a kitten from my grandparents farm to live with us. We did feed her decent cat food, wet and dry, but for her entire 15 year lifespan she would supplement with wild animals as food (birds, mice, rabbits, and my dad even saw her stalking a pheasant once). We didn't have too many problems with her as far as parasites go, as I only remember one occasion of having to give her deworming medicine. She was very healthy until, as many cats do later in life, she developed kidney disease. Probably there are other more dangerous things outside to worry about than the food she eats. For the cats I have now, even though they are mostly indoor cats, I give them a topical flea medication, Revolution, I think, which also is good for preventing various worm infestations, so you might talk to your vet about getting something like that. It is applied once a month to their skin.

rainbow
July 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM
If you live in an area that has coyotes, I wouldn't put a bell on your cat. We had a cat that we belled because he was forever catching birds, etc. In fact he had three bells as he learned to walk so they wouldn't make a sound with just one on. Anyways, he didn't come home one day and we're pretty sure that a coyote got him. Several of our neighbours have lost cats that were belled as well and someone actually saw a coyote with a cat in its mouth. :eek: