Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat teeth-cleaning

MissPurryJess
July 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM
My kitties are turning 4 in September; they've never had their teeth cleaned.

I've made an appointment with our vet to have their teeth cleaned this fall. It will cost $360 per cat!

What are your thoughts on teeth cleanings for cats? Necessary? Unnecessary? My husband is incensed at the idea of spending so much on this procedure. As a child, I remember our cat having regular teeth cleanings (every 5 years or so), and it doesn't seem unusual to me, but he insists that his family has never had any of their cats' teeth cleaned, and that we should do some more research on the subject.

What do you think? The money is irrelevant when it comes to the well-being of my "children," so if this is indeed what is needed, they will get it. But I'd like to hear some opinions on this topic.

TIA!

rainbow
July 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I brush my cats teeth a couple times a week but I musn't do a very good job because they still have minor tartar buildup. :o

I know they will need to get their teeth cleaned eventually. To me, they are a part of the family. Therefore they and also my dogs are treated just like the human members are, so if their teeth need professional cleaning, it gets done. :love:

momof6
July 29th, 2006, 09:11 PM
My 20 yr old never had her teeth cleaned and I never regretted it till she got older. In the last few years she has had trouble, and lost quite a few teeth. It is hard for her to eat her crunchy food and her smile just looks odd. I now have regular dental work done. I do wish I had taken better care of her teeth, but when I was young there is no way I could have come up with $360 for a teeth cleaning. You'll have to do what works for you. I would at least try some home care and regular checks for problems.

MissPurryJess
July 30th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Well I agree with you both, and these are my BABIES, and they'll get whatever they need to live as long and happily as possible!

I just want to make sure it's worth it...I don't want to put them through that if they don't really need it, you know?