Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hair staining

kitkat51
July 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM
:eek: my small dog has aquired reddish brown staining around eyes and toes of feet. what is this and how do i get rid of it? the dog is 4 yr.s old and till now never had this problem.

rainbow
July 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM
The staining around the eyes is common. Around the feet could be allergies. What are you feeding him/her? Here's a good website:

www.lowchensaustralia.com/grooming/grooming4.htm

glasslass
July 29th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Is "the dog" (he?/she?) licking it's paws alot?

bethaliz
July 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
IN small breed dogs such as Shih Tzu's, Lasha apo's, Maltee's, etc tear staining around the eyes is common. If you have not experienced it before or it is considerably worse, then you may need to take your dog to the vet as there maybe some trouble with your dogs eyes. slight staining is normal, but you will notic increased eye goopies, dark red staining, continual wet hair under the eyes, if there is a problem with the eyes. It could be ingrown lashes, allergies, dry eyes. The only way to know for sure is to see your vet. You may also want to take to the breeder you go the dog from, they may beable to tell you more.

The staining around your dog's paws is because your dog is licking and or chewing at his feet. There are only three causes that I have found for this.

1. your dog is left unattend for long periods of time with nothing to amuse him/her (like toys). Stevie (my breeders dog) did this a lot, because she was bored.

2. If you do not regularly clen and trim the hair at the pads of your dogs feet, they can become matted and get dirt or stone stuck in them. This will irritate the foot and the dog will lick and chew to stop the irritation.

3. The most common reason is due to a food allergy. With staining under the eyes and foot, I HIGHLY suspect that your dog has a food allergy. What are you feeding your dog? As the staining is new, did you change food brands?

I hope this helps.

Prin
July 31st, 2006, 01:01 AM
I agree, the food can definitely be a cause. Here's a thread where chocolatecoffee posted her before and after pics when she switched to Merrick food.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23727&highlight=stains