Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newfoundland skin

Paula
January 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I have a 10 year old Landseer Newfie dog. He suffers from terrible itching and thick goop leaks constantly out of his skin. i am at wit's end and he is almost bald from the scratching. Can anybody help me. I bath the areas with epsom salts and I have tried everything. Please help me.

Luba
January 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Have u taken this dog to a vet?

Lucky Rescue
January 25th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I bath the areas with epsom salts and I have tried everything

Can you tell us what you tried?

Paula
January 25th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I have used desitin soap, several moisturizers, regular brushing. The last vet put him on cloxacillin and nothing changed. They don't know what it is either.

Luba
January 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Have they done skin scrapings?

Maybe you should talk to your breeder, where you got the dog from. It could be something common with the genes of the dog or the Newf's get!

Is the dog indoors/outdoors most of the time?

Is your home too dry for him? Try humidifying it.

Try putting your dog on some Omega 3fatty acids. I suggest cod liver oil capsuls in his food.

Don't put anything else on it to aggrivate it, it's probably very very tender.

The ONLY thing right now I may suggest is go to a health food store and get a bottle of pure ALOE VERA GEL. Use a cloth to pat it on the areas (full strength) Be sure the area is clean of any soaps or creams u may have used before by using a soft luke warm cloth to clean it up. Let it AIR DRY then put the aloe on.
DON'T use cotton swabs, you'll get strands of cotton in the skin.

This MAY be one giant hot spot or some sort of allergy. Where does the dog spend most of the time? Stop using any chemical cleansers u may have been using. Wash the dogs bedding in a Fragrance free natural soap. Rewash your floors with just water.

Have u shampoo'd your carpets or varnished your hardwood floors or anything lately?

How did this originally start off? Can you remember.

Also could help us if you took pictures and posted them for us to see.

Lucky Rescue
January 25th, 2004, 06:08 PM
What are you feeding him? Some foods can cause severe allergies, and in dogs allergies manifests as itching.