Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to Socalize

H.P.
July 28th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Sydney is doing well, she has reached the 6 week mark, we have been to the vet had 1st shots and been de-wormed. She and Jo are about to learn to get along. I know that she needs to be socailized with other dogs, but I am not sure when to begin this. I am thinking that I need to wait atleast until after her next set of shots? Is it ok for her to visit my sister's dogs, which are healthy and up to date on thier shots? or should that wait also? I would like to start as soon as possible. Here is a picture, and one of how Jo the cat felt about her new sibling at first.

H.P.
July 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM
This is Jo

MyBirdIsEvil
July 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM
We got our first puppy at 6 weeks old and started socializing her immediately with people and dogs. If you make sure the other dogs aren't rough with her and they're up to date on their shots there shouldn't be any problems. Also, just make sure you don't put her in a situation with the other dogs where they could scare her, as this could be traumatic to a small puppy.
As long as you take small steps (as in don't throw her into the middle of the other dogs to play or something), all should go well.

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Cute babies. :love:

Definitely wait until she has had all her shots before socializing her with other dogs that you know nothing about. :pawprint:

odindog
August 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
Its all amatter of opinion, but I strongly belive that socalizing is the best thing you can do to create a wellrounded dog. From day one, get them out there. If you are responsible you should have no issues. Try to limit exposure to fecal matter and entact dogs. Have fun!!

jessi76
August 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM
adorable pup & kitty! I think the sooner the better, just be cautious & supervise play. Only with dogs you KNOW, and you know are UTD on shots. only in safe areas (such as your home/yard, or homes/yards you are familiar with). I got my pup at 8wks, and as soon as he had his first shots, I started socializing him w/ other dogs (only dogs I knew) and kids. by 12 wks old, I enrolled him in puppy playschool for socializing with other puppies. socialization is very important, and it's smart of you to be thinking of it now.