Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

caught cat in garden shed...now what?

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM
my parents managed to catch the mother feral cat in their garden shed in their backyard. There's food there overnight but she's a bit squirmish and hopefully she'll calm down by the morning.

But how does one take her out of the shed? We're all worried once we open the shed door she'll make a run for it. I doubt she'll willingly go in the kitty carrier.

We need to get her in teh kitty carrier to then take her to the basement in the bathroom to stay there until we can catch her little kitten as well to take to the HS.

anyone have any suggestions regarding this? I an't think of a good plan. And the sooner we can think of one the better, as there's a little kitten out there without his mom now and who knows, hopefully he'll come around to look for her and get caught too so they can be together.

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM
i think i've posted in the wrong forum :sad:

i can't believe nobody has any ideas!:yell: <--that's me crying lol

H.P.
July 28th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Please don't cry! I managed to get one into a carrier by putting smelly wet food in the back of it (just kind of smeared it on the back wall, with some clumps at the bottom). I tied a string to the door, and ran it through the cage and out one of the holes in the back, then I hid and waited. You have to be able to see the trap from your hiding spot, but hopefully the cat can't see you. Once the cat is ALL the way in, pull the sting to close the door. It helps to have a second person to latch the door while you keep tension on the string. When they realize they are trapped, any slack on the string and they escape, and it takes a day or two for them to regain confidence to go in it again. I don't know if that will work in your situation or not, but it is all I have.:fingerscr

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 09:23 PM
well our concern is...what if the cat jumps over the carrier when we open the door?

or what if she runs between my parents' legs when we open the door??

we managed to trap her in the shed with food though and closed the door by pulling the string hehe

kaytris
July 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
rig up some kind of barrier/pen around the outside of the shed door, so that if she does bolt, you'll have a second chance of grabbing her. But I bet she's not going to bolt, she'll probably be hiding under something in the shed.

With two or three people (and I'd make sure everyone had gardening gloves and long sleeved shirts on) you should be able to slither through the partly opened door and then corner her inside

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I think if you just bang on the door before you go in that she will just go run and hide. The kitten should be easier to catch if you leave food out.

Good Luck :fingerscr and keep us posted.

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I think if you just bang on the door before you go in that she will just go run and hide. The kitten should be easier to catch if you leave food out.

Good Luck :fingerscr and keep us posted.

you think that'll work? I hope you're right.

the kitten is stupid for his own good and I think he'll get grabbed soon :D as I was told he came to eat when my dad was gardening near his full food bowl. so...:fingerscr for kitten

kaytris.....good idea too....plan A and a plan B for those sneaky cats.:cat:

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM
you think that'll work? I hope you're right.

If she is truly feral it will work. If you use the barrier/pen option make sure it is high enough otherwise she will just jump right over it. :eek:

Good Luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr

How old do you think the kitten is?

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
here is who I think is the mom..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/cat1.jpg

but then this could be the mom too.....:confused:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/cat2.jpg

this kitten got grabbed as she was climbing up the mosquito netting on the window hehe
and she now lives with a lovely lady
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/cat3.jpg

and this little fellow is the other kitten...who I hope tonight isn't panicky over being alone
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/cat4.jpg

my parents live in the Toronto area...if anyone here is interested....in the kitten and/or mom/dad(I don't know which my parents caught) you could PM me. THat way they won't have to go to the SPCA.

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
How old do you think the kitten is?

gosh the kitten is tiny! look at the kitten picture my mom is holding. It's about that size...maybe 3 months...skin and bones:(
but SOON!! someone will fatten him/her up :thumbs up :D :love: :pawprint:

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I'd say no more than three months and what a cutie? Blue eyes? Siamese cross?

The one that got caught in the mosquito netting is precious also but with an orange tabby dad?

And two mom suspects? Are they both in the shed? :confused:

Good Luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr

jiorji
July 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
no i think the eyes are green. They look blue from the plate reflection i think. Both kittens are fromt he same litter, so I'm not sure if those tabbies can both be parents.

only one adult cat is trapped in the shed. We hope to get them all before the winter.

jiorji
July 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM
never mind....the black kitten has already someone who wants to take him :)

I just hope he comes back, as he hasn't been spotten since his mom got caught.

chico2
July 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Jiorji,if I understand right,your parents and the kitties are in Toronto and you are in Montreal:confused:
The little black kitten looks very young,I hope they catch her/him,there are soo many dangers out there for a kitten.
Is bringing the mom to the THS the only solution??
If that is the case,your parents can call the HS and they will catch her.
The problem is,both the cats are regular brown Tabbies(which I love)however at the THS(Toronto Humane Society)they are a dime a dozen:sad: and not easily adopted out and their record is not great with unspayed stray females,unfortunately. Good Luck to your parents!

jiorji
July 29th, 2006, 04:49 PM
that's right.

Well I'm hoping someone from the board will want to take the mom tabby. She's a year and a few months old. SHe's my tabby's sister.

My mom called the SPCA and they said they won't catch her, but so far she's int eh shed now and my parents are waiting til she calms down a bit to move ehr to the basement bathroom to socialize her a bit, and hopefully someone will want to take her from them before she goes over to the HS in the Toronto area.

umm.......... anyone??:o :pawprint: :cat:

kaytris
July 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM
http://www.annexcatrescue.on.ca/

http://www.torontocatrescue.ca/store/index.asp

http://www.ora-animalsrescue.org/

some rescue groups that might be able to help...

scuba0095
July 30th, 2006, 03:25 PM
wow very nice looking cats id be interested if they were not feral tho :( I have never had a tabby

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I agree re HS ... feral + unspayed? If you can't find a home could you mom possibly have her fixed and re-released? In any event :fingerscr

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I don't know........I know the SPCA means well when they save animals and I'm sorry when I say this and mean no offense, but I hate visiting the SPCA. Most depressing place for animals. You walk in the room and they all start barking/meowing, extending their little paws for attention, an you just see the hopeless faces. It's very easy to spot the animals who have been there for a long time.

So this is why I'd rather have her not go to the SPCA, no matter how wonderful the Newmarket SPCA is(according to my friend).

I'm even considering fostering the kitty in Montreal until someone accepts her in their home. I'm not sure how to go about seeking potential owners for her. My mom has so far been the one who found people for the kittens, so I hope she finds another one. My parents don't want to keep her. Too much leather furniture :rolleyes:

I will have to call them later on tonight to see what the news is. If she's been moved to her new room in the basement ;)

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I agree re HS ... feral + unspayed? If you can't find a home could you mom possibly have her fixed and re-released? In any event :fingerscr

I hope that the fixed and rereleased to be a last resort plan. I hope that she gets a better life along with better health. If she goes back outside she'll continue being malnutritioned and full of mites and whatever else. So I'd rather find a good comfy couch for her instead :)

scuba0095
July 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM
but since shes a wild cat wont adapting to house life or being a pet be very hard? She would need a special home that is experienced with ferals wouldnt she? Also high risk of being bitten

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
well so far my dad hasn't managed to get her in teh kitty carrier. She's frieghtened and she's hissing and climbing up the walls...literally.

i'm not sure what to do in such a situation. My dad said he might let her go, but that's a step backward :frustrated:
maybe with more human contact as they go feed her everyday she'll get used to them and calm down.

The kitten hasn't been seen. :sad: I'm worried now that since the mom is "trapped" the kitten won't come back and is lost somewhere

this is all going wrong!! I'm so annoyed!:yell:

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
She's probably going crazy with worry over her kitten and vice versa Jiorji.

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 09:15 PM
yes probably:sad:

but I hope that in the end this is best for both of them. I hope she'll come around. She's over a year so she should get used to humans fairly fast, so that she can have a proper spoiled house cat life with Whiskas treats
:fingerscr

chico2
July 31st, 2006, 06:58 AM
Jiorji,the kitten will not survive on his own,unless someone else is feeding him:sad: and there are predators out there,hawks,dogs etc...
Maybe the other cat is the mom??:fingerscr Although he looks like a male..
The cat in the shed,might very well be a former housecat,my cats too would climb the walls,if they were trapped in a hot shed,that behaviour does not make her feral.
I swear every time I try to get Rocky and Chico in to the carrier,they are feral:D
Your parents are in a very difficult situation,I have no answers,but she cannot stay in that shed for long,I hear by Wednesday it's going to be +34C,she has to get out of that heat.
I am surprised the SPCA will not even attempt to catch her,catching her would save another batch of kittens from being born outdoors:cat:

About Leather Furniture,with three cats and having gone through several couches,leather-furniture is the best,cats do not like to get their claws into leather,the best thing for a cat-owner!

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM
I'm angry yet releaved. The cat has started allowing my mom to pet her. PHEW! I thought the day would never come.

So part of my little rant, as much as my mom has done for this cat it makes me quite angry as i feel she wants to do something but yet not put effort into it. Me and my mom have had some relationship issues and things recently started to improve, and I think she's helping the cat for me to help with our mending relationship, but only 85% the effort :yell:

She said it was good the cat's allowing her to pet her and she's worried the cat might be too hot in the shed. So i said..ok well try to put her in the carrier and move her to the basement. She said "no i can't do it". You didn't even try!!:frustrated: :yell: :frustrated: She says "tomorrow" It's always tomorrow with her! Why not now?? I said she might die from heat by tomorrow! So after telling her she's not putting full effort into this she agreed to try to put the cat in the carrier tonight. and HOPEFULLY i wasn't lied to!:yell:

My parents have their daily routine. After 9 pm nothing goes on but watching tv. I would dare ask them to take an hour to try to move the cat to the basement because you know they might miss their cable movies, that they play 20x a month on repeat :mad: :frustrated:

And then my dad says.. "well if we move her to the basement who's going to feed her when we leave for the long weekend?"
%^#$%@##$!!!!
So who's going to feed her in the shed???!! SOmeone come sin to feed the guinea pig when my parents are away why not the cat too?

So i'm probably going to have to drop everything (as if i have nothing better to do) and go house sit for them if they managed to move this cat to the basement where it's cooler . WEll I am angry! I work from home, I have to deliver a lot of paintings, I can't just drop everything and stay at my parents just because they can't take 1 hour to stuff a cat in a kitty carrier!

Ok so maybe I'm exagerrating a bit. Must be the heat!:evil:

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
ok...IGNORE MY PREVIOUS POSTING!!lol

The cat has been successfully moved to the basement bathroom. :love: Where she now is enjoying the luxury of A/C and a nice bed. Tomorrow she will be getting some toys which my dad will be shopping for. Lol I can picture my dad shopping for a cat. He's never owned a cat.

And she will get an autofeeder for the weekend.

PHEW!

And the kitten has been spotted as well, regularly coming to eat and drink milk. So now that the shed is empty he'll get caught soon :fingerscr

My mom is giving me a week to find a potential owner for this kitty, who is right now nameless. I think I'll call her Angelina. hehe

scuba0095
August 1st, 2006, 09:23 PM
jorri is it the black female kitten ur looking a home for?

jiorji
August 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
jorri is it the black female kitten ur looking a home for?

sorry should've specified. The black kitty already has a home set up for her with my mom's friend.

the cat that;s to be taken to the shelter is this one:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/cat1.jpg

She looks friendly doesn't she??:) I'll have update pictures as soon as my dad can take some photos for me

chico2
August 2nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Joirji,phew,I am glad she's out of the shed:cat:
With yesterdays +36C,47C with the humidity,the shed must have been 50C:sad:
If your parents can afford to have her spayed and vaccinated,it would probably be easier to find her a home,or if need be put her in one of the no-kill shelters provided in one of the posts,not THS.
She's a really pretty little tabby,looks a little cross-eyed.
Most cats out there on their own,are products of irresponsible jerks and often all they need is tender loving care to once again trust people.
Thank's for caring:love:

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
chico i think the heat worked to our advantage as I think she was a bit overheated to fight back to be moved to the house. I know that sounds bad but it worked out great in the end.
I'll have to email those rescues posted by kaytris, and hopefully they'll take her but they may not as we're not part of the GTA.:fingerscr

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwww look at the pretty face :love:

jiorji
August 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
this is so weird...I can almost swear this isn't the same cat in the previous pictures. Maybe it's the bad light that's making her look darker :confused:

jawert1
August 2nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
jiorji you gave me one h*&l of a fright, I thought for darn sure I was looking at my dear deceased Tigger in that pic. My late tabby terror looked JUST like that cat, I can only pray with time and love yours winds up with a better disposition (she was evil, but she was mine!) :cat:

chico2
August 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM
She definetly looks darker,but it probably is just the photo:confused:
I thought at first it was the other cat,but he/she has a nick in her ear..
If this is the mom,I would think she's not happy,missing her babies:sad:but she is safe,hopefully not pregnant again:eek:
Any more news of the black baby?