Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A crow-baby gone

chico2
July 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Most of you know about my love-affair with my crows and how I feed them twice a day and have for many years.
This morning after the six (4 adult 2 babies)of them had brecki,they started an awful racket in unison,all pointing in one direction.I knew something was very wrong:(
There was a little baby-crow very dead on the side-walk,hubby went to pick it up,I was worried the crows would attack him,but they silently watched and followed us in to the backyard(flying,not walking:D ),where we buried the baby.
After it was done,they all flew off,as if mission accomplished.
They are amazing birds and I feel I know what they are trying to tell us,they'll be back later in the afternoon for dinner.
No more leftovers in my fridge!!
:rip: little crow:(

Mahealani770
July 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Awww (*(*(Chico)*)*) that is so sad!! I'm so sorry for the loss, do you know what happened to the sweet angel?
:candle: Fly to the bridge baby crow!!:candle:

Maya
July 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM
How sad, i'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet little friend :( :sad: It sounds like they appreciated that you and your husband gave the baby a proper burial.

chico2
July 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
We suspect a Hawk got it and dropped it when the crows were attacking..
Crows are actually amazingly smart and live a very long time...one old guy,lame in one leg has been here for about 8yrs,after 6 of them died from West Nile.
Most people think of them as pests,but can anyone imagine what it would be like,were there not chirpy and cawing birds out there:confused:

Maya
July 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I can't imagine the world without crows, they have so much character and I love the way they hop around. I saw a fledgling the other day with those bright blue eyes, how anyone can think of them as pests?? Actually once I saw a lady swinging her bag at some little birds that were just pecking at crumbs on the ground:confused: So I said "they are beautiful" in a sort of disbelief kind of way and she snapped back "not if you have a phobia of them" :rolleyes:

glasslass
July 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry Chico! Now that I've been caring for my mom's budgie, I'm becoming more and more aware of the cheerful little personalities birds have. West Nile has made it's way to this area now too. I hope there won't be a major loss of wild birds. Your little guy was too young to go!

chico2
July 29th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Maybe I have too much time on my hands:D but I read extensively about all the birds visiting out feeders and bird-houses,why they do the things they do,mating and nesting-habits,migrating or not,it's become a passion of mine:p
My all time favorite is the Crow and I hope they'll survive this years West Nile outbreak:fingerscr
GlassLass,one year we lost House-Finches,Crows,Chickadees and many others,really sad:sad: