Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pink spots?!? bladder issues?

bethaliz
July 28th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I was house sitting/ dog sitting over the last five days for my breeder/mentor. Other that a slight scare everythying went well. However I noticed that after I let the dogs out there would be little pink/red spots, like blood. Now I couldn't tell which dog it was and seeing as how Simone just had puppies that week I just figured it was from her and it was normal. Roxie did that for about a week after her pups were born.

However I came home yesterday, let Roxie out side and when she came in and sat down, there was a couple of pink/red spots. She had her pups 5 weeks ago today, so there I know this is not from that, she's been clean of all of that mess for a couple weeks now.

I took a urine sample to the vet and I have an appointment later this afternoon (by then they should have the results of the unrine).

Has anyone experienced that before? What should I expect at the vet? Is there anything that I should ask for (like blood work etc)?

Thanks

bethaliz
July 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
We went to the vet yesterday. $300.00....OUCH. After an examine and urine test, the vet told me that she has one of two things. Either she has a urinary tract infection or stones. Either way the treatment would be the same. Start her on antibiotic's and see if it clears. However for only $90 more I could get an xray just to be sure it's not stones. But even f it is stones we still start with antibiotics. After $300, who has "only" another $90.00 to do a test that wont change what you do for the dog?!?!

Anyway so we've had to wean the puppies a lot faster than usual. The vet put her on a milder antibiotic so that if the puppies get some milk it shouldn't hurt them. But the pups can only have milk from her when she sleeps with them at night. I'm having troulbe getting them to eat very much. Any ideas as to how get them to eat better? They get very wet mashed puppy food four times a day and breast milk at night.

mona_b
July 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Anyway so we've had to wean the puppies a lot faster than usual.

Actualy,most if not all breeders start weaning at 3-4 weeks.So weaning her pups at 5 weeks is not weaning them faster.:)

Have you asked your breeder to help you with this?That is what she is there for....:)

Here is a link that may help.

http://www.dogfocused.com/dog-training/weaning-and-feeding-puppies.php

bethaliz
July 29th, 2006, 06:28 PM
We had already started them on mashed food at four weeks. Because our breed is so small my breeder waits until week four or five to start weaning the pups. She usually keeps them longer than 8weeks tto before selling them.

Roxie was getting wet food in the evening and the puppies started trying to eat it, so we started them a little early at 4 weeks. However, pups are not usually put strictly on dog food until 7 or 8 weeks. So we are weaning them faster as they now only get breast milk at night. It's difficult to get them to understand that this is all they get ALL day. They normally have a couple weeks to figure that out