Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little stray kitten

LM1313
July 28th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Today I drove over to my old apartment to move some stuff to my new one and no sooner did I bring one box down than I heard, "Meow . . . meow . . . meow."

So I looked around and across the street in a parking lot was this kitten! I went over and picked him up and I couldn't believe how light he was. I could feel every rib! Poor little guy, he was covered with dust, dirt, and bits of dried leaves, too. I took him home and he ate and ate! I'm so glad I found him before he starved or one of the people who has fighting dogs in the neighborhood found him!!

He's still really dusty . . . Should I do anything to clean him? A bath? Or should I just leave him to clean himself up?

Also, can anyone estimate how old he is?

You can see the dust on his footsies in this pic . . .

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/07_27_06/StrayKitten1.jpg

His eyes are oddly small, it makes him look like a tiny adult cat . . . but he's all kitten! :D

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/07_27_06/StrayKitten5.jpg

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/07_27_06/StrayKitten3.jpg

I love him to bits, but I can't keep him because of my apartment . . . They let you have pets, but you have to have them when you first start renting and can't get any new ones. :( So I'm trying to find a no-kill shelter . . . Poor little guy.

Skryker
July 28th, 2006, 04:15 AM
:cat: What a little sweet-heart! Poor little boy, wonder how he ended up on the street.

I would say try and brush or comb him first (if he will let you), rather than a bath. From the pictures, it looks like mostly surface dust, like he was rolling around on the ground. That way, too, you'll find out if he has fleas or not. :eek: If he's really stressed, a bath might just add too much more stress.

Unfortunately, there is a virus that cats can get that can cause their eyes to swell closed-has he got any discharge at all from eyes or nose? Not trying to scare you, but the semi-feral cats that my neighbour used to feed all had this virus, and it gave the kittens a squinty look.

JMO, since I'm no expert, but I'd say he looks around 4 months old? I think? :shrug:

Good luck with him, you stray kitten :angel: !

Did you have to fill out a form about existing pets? 'Cause it sounds like you are just moving in...do you think you might be able to say a friend was keeping him for you through your move?

LM1313
July 28th, 2006, 07:40 AM
No, no discharge . . . His main problem seems to be hunger. (Thankfully it's too dry here for fleas to survive.) I'm sure he'll let me brush and comb him, he's very friendly . . . I think he must've lived with people at some point, he's not feral at all.

I've already been here two months, so I can't add him to my lease, sadly. :( There's some "overlap" between my old lease and my new lease . . . It got so hot and my old place didn't have AC, so I couldn't bear to wait until the lease ran out!

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Awwww, poor little guy. Thank goodness he found you. :thumbs up

Whose parking lot is it? Did you ask there if anyone lost a kitten?

LM1313
July 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
It's a C.O.P. Shop parking lot. (I forget what C.O.P.S. stands for, it's a community police center thing.) I checked the newspaper, but there weren't any lost ads matching his description. He's so skinny he must have been lost/dumped a while ago. :(

The good news is that one of my coworkers told me that someone in the office has been seriously thinking about getting a cat. :cat: But she's not in the office again until Tuesday, argh!

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Can you hide him at your place until Tuesday? :D And, let's hope your co-worker wants to give him a forever home. :fingerscr

Oh, I just had a thought. Could you tell your landlord that it's your cat that you lost just before you moved? And you'd really appreciate if he'd let you keep him. :D

LM1313
July 28th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Here's my plan: I'll wait until Tuesday and see if my boss wants the kitty. If she doesn't, I'll beg the landlord to let me keep it. (I can't tell them it was mine to begin with because they grilled my previous landlords on how many pets I had, blah blah, and whether I had asked permission to have them, blah blah. If I could get away with it I'd be lying like a rug, though! :D ) I don't want to say anything to the landlords before Tuesday because then they'll know I have the kitten on the property and might demand a "housecheck" or whatever.

I am just praying the kitty will be a little quieter while he's by himself (as in, while I'm out of the room or away at work) because he meows and meows loudly and my neighbor directly below has previously complained about me walking too loudly at night. But I am going to go through with this and hope she thinks the kitten is one of my other cats being loud. If worse comes to worse, I can probably convince my parents to keep him at their house for a few days.

If neither me nor my coworker can keep him, I'll take him to the shelter, but pay most of his adoption fee as a donation.

I am praying that this kitty gets a wonderful home, he's so confident and upbeat for someone who's been through so much!

I'm taking him to the vet today for a check-up and to make sure he doesn't have communicable diseases like feline leukemia . . . He and Booster keep trying to play footsie under the door. Booster is fascinated by him, I think he wants a brother. ;)

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the negative/positive report on the common kitty diseases from the vet?

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Whenever I've had tests done for any of my furkids the vet has always phoned me the next day with the results. The samples are flown from here to Vancouver the day they're taken and the results faxed back the next day.

Good Luck with his check-up. :fingerscr :fingerscr

And more Good Luck with your landlord. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
July 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM
He is adorable,the tiny eyes,makes him look like a pretty little girl-kitty:D
I wish you could keep him,a shelter is very iffy,but of course better than the street.
Try to ask the Boss a few questions before handing him over if he wants him,like spaying and if he is going to be an outdoor cat?
I would have a really hard time giving him up,he is really beautiful,hopefully you can find a way to keep him,what's one more little kitty going to do?:cat:

glasslass
July 28th, 2006, 07:24 PM
His markings are so similar to those of my Puss-Puss (RIP). I hope you're able to work everything out. He's a cutie!

LM1313
July 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Well, they somehow do the tests right there and it only takes ten minutes! He's negative on the diseases, yay!

The bad news is . . . FLEAS! :yuck: Very weird because they usually aren't a problem here because it's so arid! He got dosed with Revolution and I'm going to take my cats in to get dosed with it tomorrow "just in case." Meanwhile I have to vacuum, yuck.

I'm confident that my boss will be a good kitty owner if she takes him (hope hope), she and her husband dote on their spaniels and when my dog died she sent me a sympathy card. :)

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Glad to hear the good newa about diseases, :highfive: but sorry to hear about the fleas. :( .... that's a bummer but definitely could have been worse. :D

Still have fingers crossed for his forever home. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

BTW, did you find out for sure if "he" is a "he"?

LM1313
July 29th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Yes, he is. :D

Maya
July 30th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Aawww, he's so cute and really lucky he found you!!! :cat: