Good Wife's Guide

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 10:49 PM
(( giggle)) good ol' 1955.... :D

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jul2006/GoodWifesGuide.jpg

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM
OMG that made me laugh out loud. Poor man I'm stuck with. :D :highfive:

The best- "IMMENSE personal satisfaction". Yeah, right.

erykah1310
July 27th, 2006, 10:52 PM
LOL!!! That is too much!!!!!
Im " domestically challenged" no man of mine is gonna get even half that treatment!!! Sorry Guys! :sorry:

heidiho
July 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM
OH MY GOD:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I WILL BE PRINTING THAT AND SHOWING MY BOYFRIEND SO HE CAN DREAM,THAT IS HILARIOUS......

heidiho
July 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Ok I Am Still Dying Over Here,that Is Unbelieveable:d :d

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Ok, my turn- snopes doesn't know if it's true or not. lol
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.htm

heidiho
July 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
oK I SWEAR I CANNOT GET OVER THAT,NO WAY IS THAT HOW IT USED TO BE.

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
tee hee i know... it was posted on a jokes site... :D still, someone had to make that crap up :eek: and i'll put my hand in the fire, in the '50's alot of the women believed in most of it (sadly), until woman's lib movement... i showed this to my bf and he said "you should take good example, yes this sounds good ha ha!" He sleeps on the couch tonight. :rip:

heidiho
July 27th, 2006, 11:06 PM
i KNOW IT IS FUNNY TODAY MY BOYFREIND WAS SAYING HOW HE NEEDS A GOOD DINNER COOKED FOR HIM,CAUSE WE WERE DISCUSSING THINGS WE NEED TO WORK ON WITH US,AND ONE IS THAT I DONT COOK...I CANT WAIT TO GET HOME AND SHOW HIM THIS(BIG GRIN AS I WRITE THIS)

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
lol My grandmother was the master of those 10 rules.:) :(

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
OVER MY DEAD BODY OR SHOULD I SAY OVER HIS DEAD BODY Ya right who am I kidding I do all these things for my man and I'll tell you I get immense personal satisfaction doing these duties for him. HA HA HA Not a chance here!!! But I do have to agree with Prin my grandma is the master of the ten rules, they just celebrated their 60th, wow, now that's a really long time to be married to the same person:eek:

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Being married that long must give immense pleasure. :D

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Well it must I cannot see any other reason why you would stay together that long if it weren't for the immense pleasure, I cannot even imagine be married to my hubby that long, like really thats a really long time wow only 58 more years to go

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM
lol I'm not even married to this guy yet. 60 years to go.:D

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Ha Ha Ha I'm half way there compared to you:p ;)

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM
lol and apparently I'm getting married this year according to my math... So uhh.. change that 60 to 75 or something.:o :shrug:

BoxerRescueMTL
July 27th, 2006, 11:51 PM
60 years to go here too. BUT Chris cooks for me so I think we'll make it - he's quite the chef ;)

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM
OMG if i got married now, and we both lasted 60 years in the marriage, we'd be like almost a hunnert years old when celebrating, ah ahahahhahaha! yeah... immense pleasure all right :crazy:

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Gotta LOVE a man that shares(does) domestic duties, cooking, cleaning, laundry, really what more could you ask for (other then immense pleasure) but that's just a given:o :thumbs up

BoxerRescueMTL
July 28th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Oh my dawg, I was the opposite of domestic when we met. If he didn't cook, I wouldn't eat! I am getting better now though - I have a garden! My friends don't believe I am keeping it alive and growing! I'll never cook though.. I am a good cleaner at least :D

dtbmnec
July 28th, 2006, 12:44 AM
O.o I can't believe that!? That's nutsoid....

O.o

Megan

LM1313
July 28th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays home all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day. It wasn't easy satisfying four prositutes at once, but he took pride in his job and did it! :evil:

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I can remember my mom being like that. :eek: Not me though. :D

heidiho
July 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
:thumbs up So i get home last night with a copy of this,i walk in the door(we have a studio)there is asparagas cooking on the stove salmon ready to cook in the fridge,home made guacamole,curtains drawn,what he thinks are real orchids that he went to the store and bought on the table,he didnt even realize they were fake,it was to adorable,and i show him this paper and just about dies,couldnt even keep reading he is laughing so hard,so i ahd to finish reading the thing,and he is wondering what the hell is wrong with this picture ,it was beyond funny,i must say he does spoil me with doing all the cooking and stuff,then i tell him the flowes are not real and how that is unlike him being as we live in maui to buy fake flowers and he does not believe me til he walks up to the table and touches it,he said he was qondering when he was riding his bike home with them how no leaves fell off and was pretty amazed,that paper made our night,thank you:thumbs up

glasslass
July 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I just read that to my hubby of 39years; 21years to go. He's still giggling. Does remind me of Archie & Edith Bunker.:D

joeysmama
July 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well that paper just describes my marriage EXACTLY !! I am EXACTLY like that. My home is always pristine--or wait, did my husband clean up dog pee first thing this morning? That's right. Cooper did a bad and Tom cleaned it up while I pretended to be busy on the computer.

But the dinner on the table thing, I do that every night. A lovely 5 course meal just this evening--or wait, did I throw a frozen soy cheese pizza in the microwave? That's right. With a side of mini hot dogs.

But I listen to every thing he says with rapt attention because what he says and thinks is so much more important than.....oh never mind. I can't even go on. I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy.:rolleyes:

But I still think that I'm a pretty good wife. I may not have the model home and I don't cook a good dinner every night, but I do make him things he likes a lot of the time. And I AM a good cook. I think I've been a good mom and I raised two wonderful young adults. Granted they are probably that way in SPITE of me, not because of me. But I didn't mess them up too badly though.

Oh, I almost did the ribbon in the hair thing. I put a clip in my hair before I started to make a jello mold for a party we're going to tomorrow. Does that count? I clipped my hair up. And jello molds are VERY 1950's. I think I should get credit for the jello. :p

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Does remind me of Archie & Edith Bunker.

Exactly. Or worse yet....June Cleaver from "Leave it to Beaver." :eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Well I am glad its not true - I hate to admit this but my mom told me last week that she believes a man should support her husband and the wife should stay home with the kids.

She doesnt realise the cost of living has gone way up and a lot of people need to have two income families - also she prides her self on never having a real job a day in her life - she is 86 now. Can you imagine never having a job ever :shrug:

hey new emoticons yipee :thumbs up

Prin
July 29th, 2006, 10:09 AM
she believes a man should support her husband well, ya, gay marriage is legal in Canada, and any man has to support his spouse.:D :shrug:

LibbyP
July 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Like I said before this fits my grandparents to a tee, they are Edith and Archie, or maybe the Cleaver's as they also had two boys (then a girl) But I will give my grandma credit she did work out of the home as well for many. many years. Now grandma on the other side new worked a day in her life, I cannot even imagine not working at all, crazy just crazy what would you do with all that spare time....? Oh I remember you'd be getting immense personal pleasure:eek: or was it satisfaction?:cloud9: Oh I almost forgot the best part after reading this to the hubby, he comes home from a hard day at work walks through the door 'Wife where's my beer', my response in the fridge downstairs where it always is hee hee hee nice try hubby.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM
oops typo :o :( my mom definatley does not believe in same spouse marriage :eek: ....

I meant to say she believes a man should support his wife

Prin
July 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I don't think it's fake- the snopes thing says because it says "advertising archives", it's fake. The gazette here has pics like that all the time- not ads, but "from file" or something meaning not new. On the news too, they have "from file" sometimes...:shrug:

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure it's real. For mothers day since I was about 16, I have bought my mom odd gifts. She always wants practical things, so I get her one practical thing (think "room collections": bathroom: toilet brush, plunger, flushable natural cleaning wipes, etc. kitchen: (this was the most expensive room) nigella lawson salt pig, chopping block with tray, egg cups, meashuring cups, etc... you get the idea) (No flowers or chocolates in our house!) But in addition I always get her a completely useless book. (I actually include one of these books at every holiday and birthday now)
Some of the books thus far:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1596910550/sr=1-1/qid=1154183099/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4326605-5321634?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0609607820/qid=996953577/sr=2-1/002-4326605-5321634?n=283155
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400082285/sr=1-1/qid=1154182939/ref=sr_1_1/002-4326605-5321634?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307238725/sr=1-3/qid=1154182939/ref=sr_1_3/002-4326605-5321634?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582343292/sr=1-1/qid=1154183000/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4326605-5321634?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582344493/sr=1-2/qid=1154183000/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-4326605-5321634?ie=UTF8&s=books

ANYWAYS... my point, is, that articles was in one of the books I bought my mom one year.. not one of these, as I can't find it on amazon right now, but the books all say that the articles etc they include are REAL specimens... soooo I think it's real.

papillonmama
July 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM
It probably is real, if it is post war then it was during the tumultuuous time when the men were coming back and wanted their jobs back, so women had to be retrained to love their domestic place.

I'm not surprised, I know some old-school families where some of those rules still apply. Those people have been married for at least 50 to 60 years, heck I know famillies whose parents had to serenade their wife-prospects from a window before they could even talk to them in person, with a chaperone of course. It really wasn't that long ago.

Thank goodness for feminism, and renewed domestic violence and abuse laws, because those also have a lot to do with the changes in our society. Back then a wife couldn't say no, not that far back, even in the 80's domestic abuse was mostly ignored. However with the increase of deaths resulting from abuse in relationships, police and the courts have made it more difficult for abusive relationships to reconcile, though they often do anyway, but now if you call the police because your husband beat you, or vice versa, they take him/her away and a restraining order is given, before what would often happen would be the police would show up, they would calm down the couple and leave them to go back into their homes. The times they are a changin'. :fingerscr

meb999
July 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM
well, ya, gay marriage is legal in Canada, and any man has to support his spouse.:D :shrug:

I guess that would fall with #3 of the Good Wife's guide : BE A LITTLE GAY!!!

I was lucky, my mom was quite the feminist. She spent our whole lives telling me and my sis NEVER to depend on a man for anything, to make our own place in life and that we could do anything we wanted (except drugs and prostitution!!)

glasslass
July 29th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Thank goodness for feminism, and renewed domestic violence and abuse laws, because those also have a lot to do with the changes in our society.
Thank goodness for birth control and women having choices!

mummummum
July 30th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Thank goodness for birth control and women having choices!
I dunno about that Glasslass - it sure looks like access to birth control, family planning information and a women's right to choose are all eroding very quickly throughout the States.

glasslass
July 31st, 2006, 12:31 AM
True, it has been taken too far. But my grandmother was a typical example - a child every year until she died having twins.

Prin
July 31st, 2006, 02:08 AM
I don't know about anybody else but I love reading the few feminist essays from way before the 20th century. They could have been written today- this is such an old fight. We might get there one day. The day where we aren't forced to stay home, but we aren't forced to work either, and we can actually choose what we want to do with ourselves without criticism or judgement.:cloud9:

glasslass
August 1st, 2006, 09:38 PM
I think "being forced to work" is an economic one. My hubby would have been ok with me staying home, even though we have no kids, or with me working. It's the cost of living that forced me to work. It takes two incomes nowadays.

jesse's mommy
August 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM
In some ways I'm very much a feminist because I do what I want when I want, but in other ways I hate the feminist movement because I bust my butt everyday when I could be sitting home, cleaning, cooking dinner (of course without high heels and pearls), and watching Montel everyday. But no, I have to work! Some ways I'm thankful for the movement, in other ways I think the movement ruined it for us. We had it made!

Prin
August 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM
lol If you followed the rules above, you wouldn't have time to watch montel. Real housewives are busy as hey. Real as in the ones who actually have a sanitary home despite the 1.2 kids leaving sandwiches between the sofa cushions and real as in not giving the kids McD's on a regular basis... The ones who see it as a career.