Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what color are your dog's nails?

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM
so while trimming the beanie's nails tonight, i noticed that maika's were the color of milk chocolate, for some reason i had always thought nails were either white or black :rolleyes: obviously that is not the case, LOL! so what color are your dog's nails? let's see a rainbow!

:crazy:

Buddy's Heart
July 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Buddy's nails are white......;)

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Jemma and Boo have 18 black nails each.

Smiley14
July 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
LOL! Petey has some nails that are black and others that are a milky white. Not sure if that's normal for a dog to have multi-colored nails, but that's what he's got! And it's random on each foot too, lol.

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I know a couple like that.. You can see the quick on the white ones sometimes...

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM
My old mans nails are multi colour brown, black, and white, I like the white ones the best easy to cut. Now the big girls are all black, my Redtick(RIP) used to have very pretty nails but hard to cut they were all black with a thin rusty brown line down the middle

Smiley14
July 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Glad to know he's not the only doggie out there with multi-colors! :) I can see the quick on his white ones, which I love as it makes for much easier cutting. I hate trying to cut the black ones. I usually let the vet or groomers do his nails instead whenever possible. :) The cutters I have work pretty well though. They look kind of like scissors and have a nail guard thing on them that protects you from cutting too much of the nail at once. :thumbs up

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM
They look kind of like scissors and have a nail guard thing on them that protects you from I was hoping the end of the sentence was "getting nails in your eyes"...:o

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM
prin HOW many martinis have you had tonight?! LOL LOL must be the heat :D :crazy:

greaterdane
July 28th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Osiris has very light brown nails and white nails.

Sable has black and white nails

Vixen has black and white, and two that are both black and white

Gizmo has chocolate nails

Cyprus has both white and black, but the white has a hint of chocolate

and Atticus has all black nails. Is it odd that Atticus' nails do not grow? His nails have never been trimmed and they are always the same perfect length. He is not out on concrete, or running on concrete etc. I should ask the vet next time we are in.

Prin
July 28th, 2006, 12:56 AM
prin HOW many martinis have you had tonight?! LOL LOL must be the heat :D :crazy:
What? You never get nails in your eyes? Boo's nails are so hard, when I finally get through them, they fly around the room like darts... I get some in my eye sometimes if I'm not wearing protection.:o

Smiley14
July 28th, 2006, 01:03 AM
LOL! Can't say I've ever gotten them in my eyes...YET! But they do definitely go flying! :)
Here's a question for you, does anyone else's dog like to EAT their clippings?! GROSS! The first time I heard him crunching away I couldn't figure out what he was eating...took it a while to dawn on me, hehe. :D

greaterdane
July 28th, 2006, 01:39 AM
LOL! Can't say I've ever gotten them in my eyes...YET! But they do definitely go flying! :)
Here's a question for you, does anyone else's dog like to EAT their clippings?! GROSS! The first time I heard him crunching away I couldn't figure out what he was eating...took it a while to dawn on me, hehe. :D

Osiris loves to eat them! The chihuahuas do on occasion as well. They all like to go to the farm and eat the horse clippings as well :)

Skryker
July 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM
My BBDs (big black dogs) have all big black nails. I trim a tiny bit at a time to be sure not to get the quick.

Luckily, the cat has nice clearish claws-easy to trim since I can see the quick.

mafiaprincess
July 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Cider's back paws are so clear and white you can see the quick..

Front paws are pink nails and you can't easily see the quick.

jessi76
July 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Tucker has 11 white-ish ones, and 7 brown ones.

Prin
July 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I've gotten them in my eyes a few times.. Not pleasant. At all!

My old lab used to clean everything up after- made the clean up so easy for us. Jemma and Boo refuse.:frustrated: :D

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
let's see a rainbow!

Here I am !!! http://bestsmileys.com/rainbow/2.gif

Both mine have multi- coloured. :D

H.P.
July 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Sydney whose lower legs and feet are light, has black nails, but Jo (cat) who has 3 dark feet, has white/clear nails.

glasslass
July 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
It's on a thread like this that I miss CactusFlower & Raja. Raja had beautiful nails!:crazy:

technodoll
July 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM
awweee, love dem nails everyone! and rainbow, LOL that was funny!! :D

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
TD, glad you appreciate my sense of humour.....some people don't. :o

Puppyluv
July 29th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm glad Glasslass mentioned Raj, because I was going to if no one else did... last pic I saw, she had PINK nails!!
Layla has white. easy to see the quicks, and would be easy to cut if she wasn't so paw-shy.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16221&highlight=raj

glasslass
July 29th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for finding that link, Puppyluv. That was one of my favorite threads. Raj was a very ladylike Great Dane!:queen:

OntarioGreys
July 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Maya's is all black
Nikki's are all clear
Sunny has a combo(black, clear and horn(term used by breeders meaning opaque white or brownish colured)