Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Persistent Cough

Mcatz
July 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I am going to buy a puppy. I have visited often while waiting to get her. She had Kennel cough and was given antibiotics and seperated from the other animals. She was very lethargic and wheezing also. It has been several weeks and she is now very playful. I've noticed that she still coughs when she's been playing. The owner said it was normal and something about scar tissue. Is this normal? Will she ever stop coughing? Should I forget about getting this puppy?

LavenderRott
July 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
How many "animals" does this breeder have?

Yes, you need to forget this pup. An ethical breeder doesn't have puppies with kennel cough. And puppies that are treated immediately shouldn't have "scar tissue".

bethaliz
July 28th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Unless that cough goes away and the BREEDERS vet gives a clean bill of health, I would not continue the purchase of the puppy. It does take a little while for the caough to go away (it can anyway) after tretment, but it should not persist for weeks. If the pup has scar tissue as the breeder claims, that dog will have some health issues later in life that will cause heart ache and large bills. YOur breeder needs to be upfront about any issues like that.

I know in the case of my breeder, if she has medical issues (VERYVERY rare) with her pups she will give the pup with out charge, to a loving home, to help compensate for some of the bills that may come up. She is always willing to take the dog back if it becomes too much. My dog had a puppy in her last litter that had only three legs (People sprayed thier lawns while she was prego and they didn't post signs so the posion affected 3 of the 5 pups). She took him to the vet got a clean bill of health. The lab tech wanted to purchase the pup and the breeder gave it to her and calls her regularly to make sure that there are no lasting side effects.

If you can handle the issues that may come from a pup with scar tissue, then by all means purchase the pup. But think about it very carefully, especially if the breeder is unwilling to share the cost of medical bills that relate to this problem.

mastifflover
July 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I would not get the pup that is too long for the cough to persist. If you are set on getting the pup tell her you want to take the dog to your vet and if she has a problem with that then run away. If you do take it to your vet give him or her the whole history so they have all the info to give you a diagnoisis or a clean bill of health.

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I agree with the others. Is this a reputable breeder or a BYB? :pawprint:

BMDLuver
July 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
It can take up to 6 weeks for Bronchisepta to clear. The remaining cough will last some time particuliarly when excited or overactive. If you wish to pursue having this pup, I would ask the breeder for permission to take this pup to your own vet for a thorough exam to make sure all is well. If the breeder says no, then walk away. It really is not an indicator of an unreputable breeder because they had kennel cough. They may show some of their dogs and picked it up at a show, brought it home ... it does take up to 2 weeks to incubate.

Mcatz
July 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM
There are 8 adult dogs and 8 puppies from 2 different litters. I would take the puppy to my vet immediately as I don't let any animals in my home unless they have been checked out first. I found out the hard way, when I adopted a kitten from the local animal shelter. I didn't notice any problems until after I brought it home and it started coughing and sneezing. Within 1 week my other 2 cats were infected. They got so sick, my male had to stay in the hospital for several days. That cheap kitten turned into a $300+ investment.

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Take her to your vet and then post with an update. :pawprint: