Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help honda pay for its ad

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM
(totally BRILLIANT! i've never see anything like it!) :thumbs up

And you thought those people that set up a room full of dominoes to knock over were amazing...There are no computer graphics or digital tricks in the film. Everything you see really happened in real time exactly as you see it.

The film took 606 takes. On the first 605 takes, something, usually very minor, didn't work. They would then have to set the whole thing up again. The crew spent weeks shooting night and day. By the time it was over, they were ready to change professions.

The film cost six million dollars and took three months to complete including full engineering of the sequence. In addition, it is two minutes long so every time Honda airs the film on British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep any one of us in clover for a lifetime.

However, it is fast becoming the most downloaded advertisement in Internet history. Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself.

CLICK BELOW: and enjoy

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/honda.php

dtbmnec
July 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
OMG I love it!

That is soooo awesome!

Megan

Puppyluv
July 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Good god, why do ads in the US and Canada have to suck so much compared to these foreign ones???

Though, knowing that it took 606 takes, it's kind of funny that their line is "isn't it nice when things just... work?" yeah... after 606 tries :p

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM
LOL puppyluv! i think the public is not supposed to know it took so much work... but by god, the engineering and planning that went into this... phew! i wonder how many people had a nervous breakdown after it was all done, LOL :crazy:

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Well, it is nice when things just work. They don't always work, so when they do, it's really nice. My Acura has 230,000kms on it and on a student budget (and all the stress that comes with being a student), I haven't been the nicest owner, but still, every morning, my car starts. I don't know why. It shouldn't even have any "run" left, but it runs anyway.

I'm a honda fan(atic) so I've seen that one before... Go Honda!

:love: Honda :love:

raingirl
July 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp

Sorry guys, but that's not all true.

THey only shot for 5 days, and the final commercial is comprised of 2 takes that were CGI'd together.

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 10:42 PM
i love snopes, thanks raingirl! however, MOST of that info is true...

One of the more surprising things about the ad is that it was not a cheat. Although it would have been much easier to fiddle the chain of events by using computer graphics, the seesaw and shunt of events really did happen, and in one, clean take. Wieden+Kennedy staffers swear that no trick photography was used and that the final successful run-through was filmed in real time. The Honda ad was created without special effects. It was split into two continuous takes only because no studio was big enough to accommodate the entire sequence. The only post-production trickery is the lighting on the car doors at the end.

Filming was done over four near-sleepless days in a Paris studio, after one month of script approval, two months of concept drawings and a further four months of development and testing.1

It took five months of production and design work before "Cog" was ready to shoot. Then the real work began. In the course of a week in a Paris studio, crews agonized through 605 takes.

i wonder how many bottles of Tylenol the crew went through! LOL :D

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
lol why does everybody insist on bringing reality into threads technodoll starts? Can't we just stay in a world of illusion and gullibility? :D

I say it took one take, and they didn't even have to try it out first. It just all worked.:angel:

technodoll
July 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM
LOL prin you crack me up! i got told once that the word "naive" was not in the dictionary and it took me a few seconds to catch it. after going "really??" :frustrated: :rolleyes: s'ok, i'll learn to check my sources before posting stuff cuz i get all excited cuz IT'S SO DANG COOL! :cloud9:

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 11:12 PM
lol even if it isn't true, it's still cool. I had to do one of those things for a physics project in grade 11... We had to use all the "tools" or whatever they're called (the levers and pullies and things) and in the end it had to water a plant. We couldn't figure out the plant part, so we ended up having something push the plant into water.:o