Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving with an indoor cat

SunnysMum
July 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but have a question for you all. Two years ago we adopted an adorable, clever (and a bit bossy) 3-legged cat from the HS. Sunny is a great big love-sponge and we love him right back. He is an indoor cat, but we do bring him out into the backyard with us on a harness (just shake the harness and that boy comes running!). He's a real "people cat" -- he loves to be where the people are, and hates to be left alone.

He is an important part of our family and we care very much for him. (OK, we spoil him. :rolleyes: But we figure he deserves it!) Anyway, we are moving soon (to a new house) and we've been trying to figure out a way for this to be as easy as possible on our little guy (and us!).

We really don't want to board him at the vets for the day (that would really upset Sunny - he's beside himself when we take him to the vet). But if it will be the safest, we will.

We're hoping for a nice day so our daughter can stay with him outside in the backyard (on his harness) for some of the time (both ends -- coming and going). Before (and after) that she can stay with him in a room that we'd ask the movers to pack last, and then unpack first on the other end.

What do you guys do when you are moving with your pets? Thanks in advance for your help!

Esaunders
July 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
See if you can borrow a large size wire dog crate for the day. Throw in some blankets, food and water dish, maybe something over the top for shade and voila. I did this with my 2 cats when I changed apartments earlier this month. Both cats in the dogs crate, happy and cozy as can be.

Best of all, it means your daughter's hands are free to help. :thumbs up

jessi76
July 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM
we moved our stuff in before we actually moved in. so when we closed, we packed up our last little things, grabbed the cat, and went to the new house.

I like Esaunders idea though. I'd try that.

jessymoka
July 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM
We moved with our six year old cat, Buzz.
First we moved everything in and then one of our last trips we moved Buzz too.
Almost immediately from the stress of the moving, people in and out, and then the car ride he start shedding more than usual.
When we got to the new house Buzz went straight to the basement and proceeded to do a horrible sounding MMEOEOEOEROROROROOOOOOEEEOEOEW
over and over most of the night. :cat:
It sounded like someone was killing him. My 6 year old kept saying Mom, what is wrong with Buzz???

The next day he came upstairs and had the usual family time.
I think he was trying to get his point across the first night.

In hind sight this is what I would have probably done...
#1 I probably would have moved one room 's boxes to the living room and then closed Buzz into that room so that all of the people moving his peoples belongings wasn't so stressful.
#2 I probably would have purchased some of those natural pills you can give your animals during stressful situations, like vet visits, fireworks, etc.

I would not have put him in his carrier because his carrier is a stressful situation for him.

My best advice is this. He will be stressed and there is nothing you can probably do to fix it.
I would just make sure he knows where his food and water are in the new house and make sure he knows where his litter box is. Maybe give him some extra treats or some catnip and keep petting him and giving him attention.
He will adjust. But if he is anything like my "boss":cat: he is gonna let you know vocally that he is not pleased.

Good luck!!!!

jiorji
July 27th, 2006, 11:19 PM
when I moved from Toronto to Montreal last year my kitty came with my parents in her kitty carrier and it took them about 7 hours. She's no fan of the carrier :yuck:
When i upacked my stuff my kitty was put in the bathroom to calm down and not freak out with all the humans around and the moving of furniture.

But what you can do is...put the cat in a room and close the door and then move everything else out...when you're done, take the cat out and put her in a different room and then move all the remaining stuff. When everything else is done, move the cat to the new place too, that way she'll spend the least amoung of time in a carrier.

SunnysMum
July 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I appreciate the feedback and the great suggestions. :thumbs up I think I will pick up some Rescue Remedy to help calm Sunny that day (and the day after.....)

I think setting up an empty room on both ends for him is a good idea and my husband will try to find a cage. We're a little nervous about the cage part -- he was in one for months at a shelter and no one wanted him. He's a great cat so our local HS rescued him and made him their office mascot. We adopted him from them. He's not a fan of being in the carrier, or in a cage.

But I think we can coordinate rooms on both ends that he can stay in while the moving takes place. I just want him safe. A client of mine told me about a new family moving in on her street and they lost their indoor cat the first day -- He slipped out....The did find him a few days later - but were extremely upset about the incident. That story really scared me! Many people roll their eyes at us about how much we worry about our cat, but we just do. I think the folks here can understand us though.

We unfortunately can't move in to our new house before the moving date and have to move all our stuff out of our current house at once (so the new people can move in....) so it is going to be one long and crazy day (it just worked out that way....I'll be glad when it's over!) We just want our boy to be safe and cause him the least bit of stress. He loves us :love:, so I think if he can be sure he's with us and that we're not going to abandon him, he'll be OK. Once we get a little settled in the new place and he sees that he has got lots of new places to check out, I'm sure he'll be alright.

Jessymoka - Sunny is also an extremely verbal and expressive cat, so I'm sure we'll get an earfull about all of this disruption from him! He is the supreme commander of the household (in his mind, anyway)...

Thanks again for your suggestions! Now, if we can just figure out a way to keep MY stress level down that day....;)

badger
July 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Rescue Remedy works for people too..a few drops for kitty, a few drops for you.

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I'm sure all will go well. We once moved from southeastern B.C. to northwestern B.C. with an indoor cat and two dogs. The trip took two days and we stayed in a motel overnight.

I was worried for days before the move but everything worked out fine and with no sedatives used....on any of us. :D

H.P.
July 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Every time Jo and I have moved (and when I left her with my parents for a week) she has hidden for 3 days. She would come out at night to eat, drink and potty, after that things start to get back to normal. Good luck wiht your move!