Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 pitbulls attack dog and owner London Ontario

lezzpezz
July 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry to bear bad news folks. Watched the news (A-Channel), last night at 11. A man returning home from a walk with his golden entered his yard and the 2 pb's that lived next door, worked their way under the fence and mauled the golden pretty badly, then attacked the owner who was trying to save his dog. The bloodsoaked man ran down his driveway screaming for help and 911 was summoned, one pb shot dead and the other captured and euthanized. As of 11 pm newscast, owner of golden still recieving treatment at hospital as was the dog. Both will survive. The man's forearm is severly injured. His dog looked absolutely terrified and drenched in blood as they carried it away on a stretcher. It broke my heart:sad:

Owner of pb's not currently residing at the house where mother was watching dogs for him. (I have my theory as to where this fella is....), and ACC has been called many times before to this woman's house. Too bad ACC couldn't intervene BEFORE all hell broke loose.....and prevent this tragedy.

Will update as I hear more....

Not a good day for dog owners in Ontario at all.....

mastifflover
July 27th, 2006, 10:27 AM
That sucks this idiots just make me so mad. That poor man and dog attacked in your own yard. You have people working so hard like Pit Bull Co-op to try and change the publics perception of these dogs. Thsy abide by the laws and try and set good examples of being responsible dog owners. Of course we don't hear much about the good.

Lissa
July 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Oh no that's awful. I hope that neither the owner or his dog won't have long lasting/debilitating injuries...Even if they don't the mental scars won't heal too quickly:sad:

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Perfect example of why dog aggressive dogs should not be adopted back out into society (IMO)This Retriever was in his own yard when the two dogs got under the fence, when police arrived,officers we're yelling at the owner to leave the backyard, 1st dog ran at the officers, shot once wounding, dog got back up and came at them again, the gun shot was enough to scare the second dog from the attack then that dog came at the officers as well, these dog aggressive dogs are a liability,and what did the officers do to have the dogs turn on them? I know alot of you will say I am wrong:shrug: , as you did when it came to Rayyes post, and alot will say 'but I'm a responsible owner they will never get out of my yard, this is a perfect example they went into the neighbours yard right next door, so unless you are going to go out with your dog EVERY time it has to do its business... Sad just sad that this had to happen. The Retriever is an older dog and with the vets recommendations it should be pts the owner is paying no expense to save his dog. Prin I still think what you and your family did for Roxy was the best:grouphug:

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM
That's why we did it... We couldn't 100% guarantee that she wouldn't get outside without my brother there, and being that he was deep in the city, where people were passing by all the time, we just couldn't risk it. And something like this could have happened and they would have blamed the breed, when it would have been us who were already told she was aggressive and did nothing about it. You know?

In stories like this, the breed shouldn't even be mentioned. It has nothing to do with the breed. They say pitties are more likely to kill- well these ones didn't, and as two, they could have if they really wanted to.

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I totally agree with not naming the breed, as far as killing I think the only reason the dogs did not do more damage is that the owner threw himself in the middle of the attack and put himself at risk shielding his dog, neighbours could hear him screaming from the backyard, I'm not sure if he ever left the backyard to get help, I think the adrenaline would be running so high at that time it wouldn't matter :thumbs up again Prin for putting Roxy at peace

lezzpezz
July 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Perfect example of why dog aggressive dogs should not be adopted back out into society (IMO)This Retriever was in his own yard when the two dogs got under the fence, when police arrived,officers we're yelling at the owner to leave the backyard, 1st dog ran at the officers, shot once wounding, dog got back up and came at them again, the gun shot was enough to scare the second dog from the attack then that dog came at the officers as well, these dog aggressive dogs are a liability,and what did the officers do to have the dogs turn on them? I know alot of you will say I am wrong:shrug: , as you did when it came to Rayyes post, and alot will say 'but I'm a responsible owner they will never get out of my yard, this is a perfect example they went into the neighbours yard right next door, so unless you are going to go out with your dog EVERY time it has to do its business... Sad just sad that this had to happen. The Retriever is an older dog and with the vets recommendations it should be pts the owner is paying no expense to save his dog. Prin I still think what you and your family did for Roxy was the best:grouphug:

you really have your finger on the pulse! You have more info than the news gave...was there more on the news today?:confused:

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM
lezzpezz check your pm I am not sure about the news I heard it on the radio

shandog1717
July 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM
thats terrible! i hate hearing about this stuff. i live in northern ny, on the canadian border. 2 years ago my puppy (a german shorthaired pointer) and myself were mauled by a pitbull. as soon as i saw the pit bull i picked my puppy up. it was too late it was on me in seconds and tore my puppy from my arms. my puppy was ripped apart, the whole time i tried to free her. the pitbull turn its attention on me and i was able to scoop my puppy up but is was too late. my puppy died and i was in the hospital. it took us 6 months in court to get the pitbull euthanized. it breaks my heart to hear that someone else has gone through this terrible ordeal. hope the owner and dog are okay.
shannon
o'burg, ny

lezzpezz
July 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
lezzpezz check your pm I am not sure about the news I heard it on the radio

will do...

Mahealani770
July 28th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Here in Atlanta, a 2 year old and her Mother got attacked by a friend's pitbull as they were stopping by for a visit. They were walking up the drive and out comes the dog. The dog practically ripped off the little girl's face. She is currently in the hospital and they have her in a medically induced coma because she needs her face reconstructed and her jaw bone is completely missing. She is unrecognizable at this point. They immediately put the dog to sleep. Nobody wins in this situation and it's very, very tragic.

lezzpezz
July 28th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Unfortunately, poor 10 yr. old Tasha the golden is not doing very well. She may never walk again. Her owner has not been able to eat or sleep since the attack and says he would have fought for Tasha to the death. The owner has bandages on his head and has had his ear bitten and torn. He has wrapped arm and fingers on both hands. He looks beaten and deflated.

I saw Tasha on the news last night and it made me cry. So sorrowful and scared and stitched from stem to stern. The vet said there were too many stitches to keep count. And they are everywhere. I have a feeling that she will be pts for compassionate reasons.

You are absolutely right Mahealani770, when you say no one wins in this situation. I feel very sad for all involved in cases such as this.

LibbyP
July 28th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I've heard that the only reason the dogs did not kill the older girl(10yrs) is because... well.. she was on the fattier side of the scale, had she been leaner, things might not have ended the same, poor girl:(

lezzpezz
July 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Huge headline story....

The last 2 lines, however, were not included in the paper version:

"A city official said there is a record that animal control officers made "a couple of visits" to the address in July and August 2001, and that police showed up on the second one.

Since then, said Jay Stanford, the city's manager of environmental services, there have been no calls or complaints about the pit bulls. "

The rest of the story describes the agony that the owner of Tasha is going thru and the expected cost of her recovery ($3000.00). It brushes on BSL, describes the attack and outcome, and quotes the neighbour's mom who was in charge of the dogs. She states how they are responsible dog owners and have taken precautions to ensure the dogs didn't threaten anyone, and extends her sympathy to Tasha and her owner.

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Oh, this is such a sad story. :sad: My heart goes out to poor Tasha and her owner. :grouphug:

Copper'sMom
July 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
hmmm.............well Michael Bryant's stupid law is really working these days isn't it? I'm sure glad he got to the root of the problem.:rolleyes: