Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tail problem

lgow
July 27th, 2006, 01:00 AM
my dog always bites at her tail. yesterday i noticed that she had bit off fur on it and there is what looks to be a cyst there however there is no puss comming from it and the lump is very hard. i was told that it could be an inbedded tick. has anyone ever seen what this would look like and if it's possible to remove it at home as she hates the vet.

LavenderRott
July 27th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I, personally, wouldn't mess with it.

I have never seen an imbedded tick but a lump like you describe could be anything from nothing major to something very serious. She should really see a vet.

lgow
July 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
yeah she has an appointment. the thing was is that she had a similar lump on her head when i got her 8 years ago (which still hasn't gone away) and the vet said it was just a cyst and i ended up with a $300 vet bill. i just think it's a waste of money if they don't plan on doing anything about it.

LavenderRott
July 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM
My dog had a limp one day that I blew off as arthritis as it was cold outside and she was old.

A month later, she couldn't put any weight on that same leg. She had oestosarcoma. While that month may not have made a huge difference in her survival, I would never have let her live in tha agony that was her last day.

Spend the money. While it maybe be nothing and you may be out some cash - it may well be something important.