Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about neutering

Snapper22
July 26th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I had my 4 year-old neutered today, but forgot to ask my vet a big important question. How long will it be before I can consider him "safe". When we brought him home today, I discovered that one of my females has just gone into "season" and we don't want to have an unwanted litter.
BTW - just to quell the questions - the reason the female isn't altered is because she is a champion show dog. She is 5 years old and had 1 litter of pups 2 years ago. We plan to have 1 more litter with her next year before she is spayed. He daughter (now 2 years old) is also a Champion. She has not had any pups yet. We will have a litter with her next year also. We will keep all of those puppies until we can determine the quality of her offspring. All of this to say that I consider that we are extremely responsible owners/breeders. We breed only to improve the quality of our line.
So - back to my original question. How long do I need to keep them seperated? Thanks for any information.

Snapper22

LavenderRott
July 26th, 2006, 10:16 PM
A whole month!

Thank goodness you thought to ask instead of just assuming that he was safe!

What kind of dogs?

Snapper22
July 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Doxie's - I have 4 wirehair dachshunds. 3 "showdogs" and 1 pet. Actually, the fella we just had neutered was shown and has 7 points, but I don't feel he is really the quality that I wanted to bring forth in future generations, so we decided to neuter him. He doesn't have any real faults - just isn't outstanding. But he is a cuddle bug and a real love. Our "pet" is the son of our older champion. He has an underbite, so he was neutered early. I started to place him in a "pet home" but was to in love with him to part with him. He is SUCH a sweetie!

LavenderRott
July 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Doxies are cute. If I ever got one though, it would have to be black and tan. :D

I have a black and tan pomeranian but I really love rottweilers. I lost my rottie girl a little over year ago. :sad:

Snapper22
July 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I'm sad for your loss. We lost a smooth red dachshund only about 3 weeks ago. He was 14 years old. Bless his heart, he got sick and died quickly of renal failure. We got him as a rescue when he was only 8 weeks old. Horrible story! Some awful man brought his dog into the vet to "put it down" because he was tired of taking care of "it". The vet examined the dog and told him that she was not only very healthy, but was also pregnant. The guy told the vet that he knew that and was tired of her having litters of puppies every 6 months! The vet told him to sign the paper giving up rights to the dog and the vet would "take care of it." As soon as the guy left, thinking the vet was going to put her down, the vet played with and loved her. He took her home, let her have her 6 puppies and found homes for all of the puppies and her. A good friend of mine took mama and called me. She said that they had found homes for everyone except one poor little boy. My heart melted. We took him and I must say, he was the sweetest doxie I have ever had to pleasure to love.
All of my brood is red, but I love the black and tans, too. A friend of mine recently got a chocolate and tan. She is really adorable. And of course, has PUPPY BREATH! The BEST smell in the whole world!

LavenderRott
July 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM
One of the ladies on one of my rottie boards just had a litter of 11!! She was kind enough to share pictures when they were just a couple of days old and just the other day we were treated to VIDEO!! Nothing in the world like watching those little rottie butts!!

I lost my girl to osteosarcoma last March. It was fairly sudden. There were a couple of days when she seemed stiff getting up but since she was fine within an hour or two, her appetite was good and she was rough-housing with our other dog, we shrugged it off as arthritis. She was somewhere between 10 and 12 years old (she was a shelter rescue when she was 2 or 4, depending on who you asked) and had never, ever been sick. The third day that she limped, it was afternoon when she started and the fact that she was in a lot of pain was evident.

The vet did x-rays that evening and the bone was sooo bad. He said that it was collapsing in upon itself and there was really nothing he could give her for the pain. There wasn't anything I could do but let her go.

Snapper22
July 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I believe the most difficult and the kindest decision in the world is the one to let them go. We grieve so much, but it is so kind to put them out of their pain when there is no hope.

BTW - I didn't say thanks for the length of time that we have to keep Pete away from the ladies! He isn't going to be a happy boy. That is the biggest reason that we had him neutered - with two intact females here, it was just torture to keep him away them them while they are in season. At least this will be the last time we have to worry about that. Now all of our guys are neutered so it should be a quieter household when gals are in!

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Awww....poor Pete. ;)

It's great to hear that you are such a responsible breeder. :thumbs up