Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New pup chasing my cats

Kristin7
July 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
My new 5 mo pup (rescued from shelter) seems to want to play with my cats, bows in front of them and barks, but unfortunately also chases one of them when she runs (the other one put him in his place!). I scold him and have been trying to keep him on a leash with my skittish cat around, but am wondering, will he perhaps outgrow this? He has been also giving them 'kisses' (which they don't seem to mind) and sniffing their butts (which they don't like). I think he only wants to be friends and not eat them, hopefully. Anyone have any training tips to help them all get along?

Lissa
July 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I would most definately keep him on-leash until he learns that chasing is not an option (you do not want him self-rewarding!).

You can teach him the gentle and leave it commands which will give you more "control" over the situation. Grentle can mean anything from giving a kiss or stepping around them carefully etc... And leave it obviously means to keep away entirely.

Aside from that, have your cat on your lap (you may need a helper) and give your dog treats for staying calm, ignoring and or obeying a command (sit/down/stay etc...) You can work up to putting your pup in a stay while the cat(s) gets a treat, walks by or plays with a toy.

My dog, Dodger was raised from 8 weeks old with my cat (she is 2 years older than him and is declawed:sad: ) and they have always chased, wrestled and groomed each other. There hasn't been any injuries and I doubt there ever will be! Different species can usually learn to co-exist peacefully if not happily, expecially when they are young and we help teach them manners!;)

Kristin7
July 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your reply, I will try rewarding him for good behaviour while she's around. I'm not sure she'll sit on my lap for it (everything like that is on her terms only!), but I would imagine this would still work if she is hanging out nearby. He's been quite responsive to training, so I do think eventually this will work out and they may even be friends. Right now, he's a pup and sometimes clumsy, and unfortunately my cat does have an injury from being chased :sad: Not sure, but either he stepped on her, or she hurt herself getting away. She's been limping around, poor girl. She's going back to the vet's tonight as they've not yet figured out what exactly is wrong. But since she's been less active, he's also been less interested in her. The good news is that the other day I saw my other cat run by him and he didn't follow, so hopefully once my injured cat recovers and is running around the house, this training will work.

Lissa
July 27th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Oh I am sorry to hear about the injury - I hope she will be okay, please let me know!:love:

It is very tempting for dogs let alone puppies to chase moving objects - if only we could train our cats to stay instead of run in these cases;)

You can always resort to squirting your pup with water or shaking a can of pennies if he continues chasing!

Kristin7
July 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, I'll let you know, thanks. My cat (Annie) just loves to play and run around and is very interactive. She's also sort of mean to my other cat, Micki, who is older and doesn't want to play with her. Annie has shown some interest in playing with my new pup and that is part of the problem. He scares her too, though. Especially after that incident. Yes, that would be great if she didn't run in front of him! I'm hoping to also redirect some of my pup's energy by having him play with other dogs, once he is old enough to go to the local dog park and/or day care. Right now, he's somewhat timid, so should be more socialized before going to a place like that. I don't want to scare him too bad.

jessi76
July 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM
you got great advice, so I'll try not to repeat anything... but if your pup is 5mths, and is timid, you may want to look into puppy playschool. (not the same as daycare) it's a class for puppies only, to teach dog-basics, to pup and owner. it's a great way to let your pup socialize w/ other pups his age. (and you get to meet other pup owners!) it's key to socialize when they are young, but do avoid the dog park. that's not entirely safe for a puppy. stick to puppy playschool, playdates, puppy socials, etc...

ETA: my dog started obedience level 1 around 5mths old. Obedience classes are great.

btw, I spritzed by dog w/ a water bottle until he understood the concept of LEAVE IT, in regards to my 2 cats.

Kristin7
July 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks so much, I had forgotten I was going to sign him up for a class, with all my worrying about Annie! I hope he can get into a puppy class. He's actually almost 6 mo, although they are just guessing at the Human Society. If not, I have a neighbor with a nice friendly dog for 'play dates'. For sure he's going to obedience class, too! He's doing well at home, but I want him to be better socialized and obey in different situations.

I'll have to try this water squirting trick, thanks.

Kristin7
July 31st, 2006, 08:05 AM
Annie's doing much better now, we went to a different vet and she got some good painkillers. He thought it most likely was not broke or a pinched nerve, but rather a sprain or soft tissue injury. Unfortunately their x-ray machine was down, so we didn't take a look that way. If she is still having a problem after she's done with the painkillers, I'll bring her back. Guinness seems to be making progress also, so we'll just keep working on it.

chico2
July 31st, 2006, 08:14 AM
Kristin,I don't really have any advice,just want to point out,it is absolutely essential that your cats have a safe place to get away from the pup.
You do not want to end up with overly stressed cats,who will show their fear by urinating in different places.
Hope your kitty will be ok:fingerscr

Lissa
July 31st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the update - I hope being pain free gives her body time to heal!

Good luck and Chico is right, even though Minnow and Dodger chase and wrestle all the time, she has her cat trees and the crawl space to retreat to when she needs peace (when Dodger was a puppy I made a swinging door for the crawl space, with a little hole for Minnow):)
This is the only picture I have that shows part of the "door":

Kristin7
July 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Beautiful cats, love the pic! Don't worry, my cats have LOTS of places to get away... the cat tree, the basement, the counters, chairs (the dog leaves them alone if they are on a piece of furniture), up on top of the cupboards in the kitchen, and the bathroom (dog is sort of afraid to go in it). I have him in the kitchen when i'm not around, but the cats have been able to go in and out of there. He pretty much leaves my Micki cat alone, but Annie is actually seeking him out and seems to want to play with him, in spite of her injury. I'd say she is part of the problem! Some of this, they will just have to work out on their own, but I have been supervising and he hasnt' chased either cat since that incident. He could probably chase a little in the kitchen while I'm away, but there is not enough room in there to get going so the cats don't tend to run in there, plus, they have many places to get away. I just hope we dont' have any more injuries and wish I had seen exactly what happened. Micki actually seems less stressed because Annie has been less focused on her and for awhile wasn't out and about as much. She is really quite mean to Micki and had been harassing her a lot so that Micki rarely would come out of the bedroom. Once Annie even ripped Micki's ear, poor cat.