Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Depressed Dog

helvetebrann
July 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM
A little over a year ago we were able to adopt a puppy from a good friend whose dog had just had a litter. We had an older dog at the time and we made sure that they were going to get along before we adopted the puppy. They became inseparable. However, in January we had to put the older dog down. Ever since, the puppy has been very depressed. It seemed that she got over it for awhile, but now she seems worse than ever. She was acting like her normal self until one random day where she just seemed to go back into it all. She doesn't like to play with other dogs anymore, even though we're constantly socializing her with other dogs. She doesn't like strangers, to the point where she runs away with her tail tucked from little kids. (As well as men and women she doesn't recognize.) Not only is this unusual for her based on her previous behavior, but she's a lab! They are known for their friendliness! Now she's not responding to our commands any more. It's almost like she does it to be defiant, that's the frustrating part. She will look you in the eye and sit instead of following the command. She'll then continue to sit there and keep direct eye contact. She's also started to have no interest in food and has become much more vocal since the loss. We have no idea what to do. We don't have the funds to pay for anti-depressants for the dog if that's the only option. We really miss the spunky ball of fur.

Prin
July 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Maybe she needs more doggy members in her pack...:D

Have you had any blood tests done to rule out a possible medical condition?

helvetebrann
July 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM
We've tried to run that idea (of another dog) past the homeowner (we rent) and it was a no go. Yes she's healthy other than this odd funk she's in.

Prin
July 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Maybe you all need a vacation?

helvetebrann
July 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM
We've tried that too. We've taken her camping and boating. It just seems like nothing is working.

Prin
July 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Aww. Maybe she just needs some cuddles and time to grieve then. Poor doggy. I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry your doggy is in a funk.:sad:

Mahealani770
July 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I think the only option here is to get another dog. Good luck! :fingerscr

jessi76
July 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
if you're SURE it's an emotional problem and not a medical condition, you could try a bach remedy. Please read up on them first, before trying. Bach remedies are available at places such as health food stores, and are inexpensive.

one book on the subject:
Bach Flower Remedies for Animals by Stefan Ball and Judy Howard - this illustrated book draws on insights from animal behaviourists and vets to produce the most authoritative guide to using the remedies for animals yet produced. Includes many real-life case studies.

OntarioGreys
July 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Do some bloodwork, thyroid conditions(which can be checked with bloodwork) can cause depression, it can also cause behavioural changes such as shyness in some and agression in others. Thyroid supplementation is very inexpensive, if this is what it is.

kaytris
July 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
How old is the dog? Did she get opportunity to socialize on her own, without the other dog, during the critical window of socialization (up to 4/5 months of age)?

Sweetgrass
July 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hi we have a similar makeup with our dogs. I have n 18 month old and a 13 year old and I know it will be inevitably horrific when we have to pts the older one. They are so bonded. We recently got a kitten to add some younger blood to the house and she and my youngest dog Niko are tighter than I could have imagined.

Perhaps another species might be okay with the homeowner?????a Cat species????? When they are both young, they can become lifelong friends.

I also think it is worth a check up. There are very real reasons that could be affecting your dog's behaviour.

Please keep us posted....

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g263/sweetgarss/eyegazing.jpg

pitgrrl
July 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM
if you're SURE it's an emotional problem and not a medical condition, you could try a bach remedy. Please read up on them first, before trying. Bach remedies are available at places such as health food stores, and are inexpensive.

one book on the subject:
Bach Flower Remedies for Animals by Stefan Ball and Judy Howard - this illustrated book draws on insights from animal behaviourists and vets to produce the most authoritative guide to using the remedies for animals yet produced. Includes many real-life case studies.

I was just reading that book the other day because someone had asked me about a dog depressed after losing one of his humans.
The one remedies you might want to look at are:

Honeysuckle-preoccupation with memories of the past, when the animal longs for what has gone, becomes introverted, loses appetite, etc.

Sweet Chestnut-uttter despair, good for animals who have become depressed as a result of grief, a dog pining for a dead master for example.

Usually, where ever they are sold will have descriptions of all the formulas and I know the company produces a pamphlet on the flower remedies use on animals, and a CD-ROM, so they might also be available.

I would get a check up at the vet though, you wouldn't want to miss something.

helvetebrann
July 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM
She's almost two years old. We made sure to follow all the socialization guidelines. We introduced her to over 100 different people before she turned 6 months old. We also introduced her to different dogs. We took her several times to the dog park as well as letting her play with the neighbor dogs, all of which was under our supervision. They were never too rough. She has an upcoming doctor's appointment, so we'll ask to get the blood work run. Thanks everyone for the advice, I will keep you updated!

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Just wanted to say Good Luck :fingerscr and keep us posted. :pawprint:

kenny115
July 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
i know what you're going through. we have and older dog(12) spanky and a younger dog(7) barney. this may we had to put barney down because of cancer and spanky hardly ate anything for a couple weeks. we took spanky to the vet and they said that depression in dogs is common when they are close and one passes away. he had all the symptoms, not eating, sleeping all day, etc. we ended up getting a puppy(toby) and it took a little time, but spanky perked back up, so after a long story i think it might just take a little time:sorry:

MyBirdIsEvil
July 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM
How are YOU doing as far as the other dog being pts? If you're still sad over the other dog maybe the younger one is sensing this.
If there are no other medical conditions, maybe you could think of antidepressants. I don't usually agree with this, but if you're dog is depressed enough that it's effecting her quality of life, I would definately ask the vet about it.
Also, maybe you're trying to snap her out of it a little too much. Maybe if she doesn't feel like playing with another dog, being petted at the moment by lots of people etc., don't push it on her, she could sense that you're worried and that when she doesn't respond how you think she should it bothers you.

helvetebrann
July 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM
We've handled the loss pretty well. Of course there was the normal mourning period, but after we were able to recover from that life has fallen into it's normal pattern.

rainbow
July 31st, 2006, 01:45 PM
How is your dog doing? :dog: