Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New website for FREE PETS....ugh...

lezzpezz
July 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
figure this can't be good:

FreePetsToOntarioLovingHomes. This is a freecycle/yahoo type of group that has sprung up:

Please Post Pets that need loving homes that you can no longer keep. A site where people who love animals and have homes to care for them can find the pefect pet. Please no breeders as this site is for Free pets. No posting of any pet that bites or attacks. No one should miss out on a loving pet because of lack of money to buy one.

What do you guys think? I am thinking that this is just way too scary and sad that it comes to this. "Lack of money to buy one" = lack of money to care for one. This is just wrong in so many ways......:(

we3beagles
July 26th, 2006, 01:34 PM
not only that, but they will attract every research group or dog fighting group that needs animals for their inhumane purposes. The dogs posted on this site have a really good chance at either a really really short life or a life of pain and misery in a cage. Perhaps this needs to be explained to the aministrators of the site. :mad:

lezzpezz
July 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I guess I have to sign up and be a registered "member" to do so, but if that what it takes, I will. I suggest everyone else who reads this consider doing this as well, and en masse, point out the error of their ways.....

ARE PEOPLE JUST PLAIN STUPID OR WHAT????? Do they not realize what they are doing by just giving away a pet to any Tom Dick or Harriet that comes along?? If you can't afford to own a pet, why on earth would I give one to you? How the H-E Double Hockey Sticks are you gonna feed it, vaccinate it, take care of it if it gets sick??? This just absolutely stuns me.....:confused:

technodoll
July 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
if there is no "value" attached to the acquisition of a pet... there will be no value in letting it go. hey it was free, not worth much, why bother kinda thing... people will pay money to have cable tv or order pizza, but they're too cheap to pay the adoption fee from a shelter for a living, breathing, feeling creature? makes me sick. :(

lezzpezz, perhaps if armed with this info, it would help?? http://www.theanimalspirit.com/free.html

Why "Free To Good Home" Ads Are A Bad Idea!

What Could Happen To An Animal From A "Free To Good Home" Ad?
Tortured or killed by animal abusers
Sold to research labs for experiments
Used as bait for fighting dogs
Victims of neglect

What Is A "Buncher?"
A buncher either steals or "adopts" companion animals for the purpose of selling the animal. Bunchers can sell animals for one or more of the following reasons:

To be used in research labs
To be used as bait, for example, to train dogs in fighting rings
To be used as breeding stock in puppy mills or catteries

"Bunchers" can be very deceptive and they prey on people who place "free to good home" ads. They will sometimes use children as part of the ploy and present themselves as a "perfect" family. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

What To Do If You See A "Free To Good Home" Ad
Whether it is in a newspaper or on the Internet, please take a moment and contact the person who is running the ad. Let them know about the dangers of "Free To Good Home" ads and tell them to proceed very carefully with the adoption, including copying identification (driver's license), checking references, performing a home check before the adoption, using a signed application and contract, and doing follow-ups.

Do not feel embarrassed to contact the person behind the ad. You will find that many people are grateful that you took the time to inform them of dangers they were unaware of. Click here for a sample letter (opens in a new window).

Moreover, please contact your local newspaper and ask them to run a warning about placing "Free To Good Home" ads

lezzpezz
July 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks Technodoll...I' have been surfing for the same info so I am ready to write a decent letter of complaint and hammer them with why their site and it's idea is morally and ethically wrong. I will post the result of my brainstorming here before I send my letter to these people. Please people, give me ammo and factual fodder so I write a good letter, not that it will help, BUT it may make some folks think....

Frenchy
July 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Well,this sucks big time,I can't help you with your letter,if it was in french I could!But if you need signatures,for a petition of some sort,I'm in!

lezzpezz
July 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM
this one has 71 members and growing, however, some of the names I recognize from various pet related organizations and they are using the site to provide valuable pet health info and tips. This group seems to be consiting of genuine animal lovers and reasonably responsible people......

HA! I just went back to see both of these groups and they seem to have been "removed"! I think I am losing it! Can't find either one under Yahoo Groups or Freecycle!
Interesting......

Ed U KayShawn
July 26th, 2006, 09:20 PM
unbelievable, frustrating and sad. but at least the sites look like they have been "removed' that is encouraging.

mastifflover
July 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Lezzpezz and you didn't even get to send one of your letters off boy you are getting good. They must have gotten wind that you found them and closed up shop.