Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BARF Diet

Murph's Mom
January 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Hi Ladies,

My husband and I have decided we would like to put Murphy on a natural diet instead of store bought puppy food.

Can I start him this early? Can you give me some detailed info on how to do it? Is there a site I can check?

Carina, it's you who does it with your dog, isn't it? Feel like sharing a little wisdom?:)

Lucky Rescue
January 24th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Here's some good info to get you started!
BARF (http://pub180.ezboard.com/fdogcommunityfrm2.showMessage?topicID=3.topic)

Murph's Mom
January 24th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I have heard that feeding raw meet is similar to biting; once they get the taste of blood they can become vicious. How true is this theory?:confused:

Luba
January 24th, 2004, 12:12 PM
This is gonna be an interesting thread
'silent observer' but loving the BARF link

lmaaao

LavenderRott
January 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Carina wrote an excellent book on the subject as a matter of fact. You can find it at rawdogs.com I believe.

My 120 lb. female rottweiler eats raw also. She is as far from viscious as they come. My beagle mix doesn't like to share her food, but other then that, she is a real sweety.

Lucky Rescue
January 24th, 2004, 03:04 PM
have heard that feeding raw meet is similar to biting; once they get the taste of blood they can become vicious. How true is this theory

In order for this to be true, you would have to have a dog who cannot tell the difference between a rabbit, squirrel, etc. and a human being. Mine sure can and I hope yours can too.;)

In fact, mine can tell the difference between a cat and a rabbit.

This belongs in the same file as "Pit bulls' brains outgrow their skulls and they become vicious."

File under "Stupid Nonsense and Idiotic Superstition".

LavenderRott
January 24th, 2004, 03:38 PM
I thought it was dobermans whose brains outgrew their skulls! Roflmao!

Carina
January 24th, 2004, 04:41 PM
This is the site for my book -
http://www.raw-dogs.com/default.htm
And a little brag here; it's just been nominated for an award by Dog Writers of America. :)

I'm currently updating the links (well my webmistress is) but there's some good ones there now.

Yes, puppies can be started on raw; since many people who breed & show are going to a raw diet, puppies are weaned on raw. Cooper's been on it since 8 weeks old.

And the "making them vicious" theory is a total old wives tale - heck even when Dutch has caught critters - rabbits, possums etc - he has no interest in eating them!

RDM
January 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Murph's Mom
I have heard that feeding raw meet is similar to biting; once they get the taste of blood they can become vicious. How true is this theory?:confused:

Well, let's put it this way ... I had a ham sandwich for lunch, and I have ZERO urge to bite YOU :) I don't even feel like chasing down a pig.

If you give a dog a carrot, he's not going to become a vegetarian. It's important, in all research, to draw reasonable conclusions of cause and effect, not random ones.

As much as people like to forget this is true, dogs are carnivores. They eat meat. Their teeth are designed for tearing, not chewing, and their digestive systems are extremely powerful, designed to digest bone.

Or think of it another way -if your cat hunts mice, as many cats do, does that make him a danger to you when you are sleeping? Absolutely not. There is no causal link between eating meat and becoming vicious. It still amazes me that people can draw that conclusion.

RDM

Lucky Rescue
January 24th, 2004, 06:37 PM
I thought it was dobermans whose brains outgrew their skulls! Roflmao

Yes, it used to be Dobies who had this alarming disorder, however it seems they have gotten their skull problem under control and passed it on to pit bulls.;)

I'm not worried - my pit bull's brain seems as tiny as ever - LOL!

Carina - congratulations on your book!:)

Carina
January 25th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Thanks LR!

RDM, right on. :)

I went to a BBQ in July 2002; a whole bunch of people who fed their dogs raw attended with their dogs. It was adjacent to a dog park & lake. There were about 20 dogs, all strangers to each other - including some intact show dogs. The smallest was a 6lb Pom, the largest a 130lb Great Dane. Plus all the other dogs in the park...and kids too. During the entire day there was not ONE incident, and most of the dogs spent all day off leash.

Murph's Mom
January 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the great info!! I knew you all would come through.

Now, you know why I had my other half post his question - me telling him the same things you ladies are didn't get through to him....he believes me now.

Carina, congrats...I guess I'd better get my hands on a copy!!

Murphy hasn't been eating his puppy food unless he is really starving and then he only eats part of it. He also isn't filling out. His weight is in a healthy range ( at 5 months he weighs 28lbs ), he's just very narrow through his flanks. My vet and I have checked him out and he's perfectly healthy apparently just picky. ;)

This is when I remebered the BARF diet and figured it was worth a shot. :)

I haven't checked the link yet but I am assuming it will tell me how to ease him into the diet?

Carina
January 25th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Here's a great "beginner" link:
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

If you go to the links page on my site, there's a list of different message boards & e-groups for raw feeding. The hands down best & friendliest one is "BARF-lite." It's a Yahoo group. Join up! I'll see you there. :)