Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat's Glowing Eyes

MrsNorris151
July 26th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Hello. We have a huge lot and I have to take the flashlight out to find my cats. One cat, however, has one glowing eye. All the dogs and the other cat have both eyes that glow back with the flashlight. Does this mean that my cat with one glowing eye may be blind? Should I be concerned?

MrsNorris151
July 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I guess no one has answers for me. Maybe someone might have another pet forum they might direct me to. Thankx

dtbmnec
July 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I can't say that I would know....I'm sorry...maybe someone else will be able to help?

The cat with one glowing eye...can he/she see in daylight with the non-glowy eye? Maybe the beam of light didn't hit the eye right or something?

Megan

P.S. my kitten has been attempting to say hi while I type this lol

chico2
July 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Guerabe,I had one cat once,his eye had been damaged after a misshap with a car fan-belt:(
He was not completely blind on that eye,but it did not glow!!

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Why don't you call the vet? I'm sure they would be able to answer that question over the phone. :pawprint:

MyBirdIsEvil
July 28th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Maybe this will help:
http://www.agarman.dial.pipex.com/bco/fact4.htm
It talks about how a cats eyes work and why they glow.

Another feature, which enabled the amount of light hitting the retina to be increased, is the tapetum lucidum. This is positioned at the back of the eye, behind the retina and acts like a mirror, reflecting light back onto the light sensor cells in the retina. This gives the cats eyes the characteristic night-time glow when they are caught in a beam of light.

The only thing I could guess is there's something wrong with the tapetum lucidum. If this is the only thing effected it may only effect the cats night vision and nothing else. If there are also other parts of the eye effected, the cat could be partially or completely blind.

I would definately consult your vet though, no one can know what's wrong with its eye unless someone looks at it in person. It could be something that if caught now could save your cats eyesight, and if not checked may progress and cause him to go blind (if he's not already).