Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can dogs sence when your a dog lover???

erykah1310
July 25th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Outta curiosity here, seeing as though while at work one of my biggest "dangers" is dogs. Almost every second house has one and I get messages on my handheld that there is a dog who may be aggressive and so on. However NONE of the "bad dog" warnings are true!?!?!! THey start off a bit on the uptight side but within minutes are rolling over so i can rub their bellies?!?!?!?! One of the guys I work with is a "sprayer":mad: Every dog that he doesnt trust he just gives a little squirt with pepper spray:mad:

Today however I had a 15 minute battle with a Huge St.Bernard, he was missing clumps of fur he was underweight and so on. After a few treats he decided that he was coming with me, and jumped in my work truck. Took me 15 minutes to get him out. He kept "flopping" around in the truck ( Well its a Ford Escape) from the back seat to the front seat and so on. He finally came out after a lot of coaxing. However, My truck will always show signs that he was there ( SLOBBER EVERYWHERE :yuck: )
Poor guy, I think he knew I was a dog lover and was coming to what he was certain to be a better life!! Who knows!!

Do you think they understand how much we care?

jiorji
July 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
i think they do. I think animal lovers present a different more calmer personality that animals can feel.

two incidents.... when i was growing up, me and the parents would always go on vacation and rent this apartment in this mountain region in Eastern Europe. The apartment also belonged(not officially) to this stray dog that lived there at the house for a long time. THis was a mutt/sheep dog cross, and he'd always sleep at the apartment door when we'd go visit. He'd get fed and come with us on trails in the forest and he'd let me (5+ year old) to pet him without saying anything. He was stray. He never once growled at me or showed any signs of annoyance.
My parents's friends' also vacationed there at that apartment and their son got bit by this dog. THe son, I grew up with and he was in no way an animal lover. He might've kicked he dog when he was sleeping. ANd how many times have I stepped over that dog as he lay sleeping in front of the apartment door and never gotten bitten?

incident 2....my aunt came to visit and she and my parents stayed at my apartment with the cats while I was away. My aunt does not like animals and she's proud to admit it. It's funny cos my cat would hiss at her all the time hahaha

so yes...i think animals can feel these things :love:

wdawson
July 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM
i go into 4-6 houses per day most with dogs and never a problem......sometimes i have a non pet owner helper and yes they can tell they seem to always sniff around and keep an eye on the nervous ones.

Prin
July 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM
The doggy wanted to escape in an Escape...

I believe that dogs sense your heart, and if your heart is not good, they'll know.

mastifflover
July 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
My mom used to say if your dog does not like someone show them the door they are not good souls. I truly believe that dogs know who is good and who is not. Buddy has a fear of men but I have a friend who I thought he might be scared of he is a really big guy no way Bud walked right up to him and let him pat him right away. He is a real dog lover, I think they know.

Weedle
July 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM
On the rare occasion that I help my "friend" take her (poor little) puppies for a walk in the park, other dogs will run straight up to me and let me stroke them and play ball with them, but they look wary of my friend....

I think dogs can tell your personality and how much you care just by looking at you :love: :pawprint:

Weedle :)

Maya
July 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I think they can tell how you feel about them. I'm more comfortable and friendly with cats and I notice they almost always come straight over for cuddles and compliments. I like dogs too but am more reserved with them for some reason, they usually want to socialize with me but when they do they almost always give me space. Animals are so intuitive:o

rainbow
July 29th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Dogs can definitely sense if you're a dog lover or not.

On the other hand, I once had a cat that sensed that a friend was allergic to cats and would always try and rub up against her. :D :evil:

Maxine
July 30th, 2006, 03:08 AM
IMO, they can sense it.
I had a few experiences with my dog.. He is VERY friendly and everytime he sees someone he wants to say hello... but when someone is scared, he gets nervous and barks at them (it makes me feel so bad, they are already scared and/or uncomfortable!!!):( :sorry:

And same thing with me, dogs and cats would come to me easily as im obviously a pet lover and i think they can feel it.:pawprint:

Is there any study on the subject?

Maxine

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2006, 06:58 AM
There's been many grown theories especially since the Asian tsunami disaster that animals have a sixth sense, an infrasound, a super sense? I just refer it to their natural intuition of their surroundings - their survival instinct.

"If we could walk with the animals, talk with the animals, what a safer place this world would be...." E von Muggenthaler, after the 2004 Indonesian earthquake and tsunami.

Most people who live with animals have seen their pets ability to sense what is going on. They can read our thoughts and feelings and we theirs. Animals do feel our understanding and love toward them which would explain why some stray animals tend to follow or camp out in our backyards. A perfect example ... Catsnacher's 5 :)
I think he knew I was a dog lover and was coming to what he was certain to be a better life!! Who knows!! Do you think they understand how much we care?Abosultely, wasn't he right ;)

Luvmypit
July 31st, 2006, 11:36 AM
This of the same topic but slightly off but I think a revelant story. :offtopic: :sorry:

My Aunt just died this past saturday from complications from a stroke. I have been ok considering and was in the kitchen yesterday and I got a little emotional. I wasn't making any noise, but out of no where comes capone looking up at me with concerned eyes. I felt bad for him, and got a cookie for him. I tried to give it to him and he wouldn't take it. VERY weird for any dog. I then sat down on the kitchen floor cross legged trying to put it in his mouth, coaxing him and telling him mommy is just a little nuts today. Instead he plopped his butt in my lap and looked back adoringly. He just touched my soul with his concern. He didn't want the cookie he wanted to make sure mommy was ok.
It was a small but amazing experience.

I dont need a study to tell me that. :o

Prin
July 31st, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad Capone is taking care of you.:love:

Luvmypit
July 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks Prin.

I just thought it was amazing. I have never offered a dog a cookie he didn't like.

I mean me and the hubby have gotten into fights and I may get teared up but he didn't act this way before. It seems he felt the pain was different.

Just makes me feel honoured to be loved like that. Animals are amazing

erykah1310
July 31st, 2006, 03:57 PM
It seems he felt the pain was different.

I believe that our pets are intuned with our inner most deepest feelings, I know what you are talking about with that 'story'.
Kita is very very comforting when there is something bothering me, even if i am not physically showing that something is bothering me.

I am also so sorry for your loss.

rainbow
August 1st, 2006, 10:35 AM
I am sorry for your loss as well. :grouphug: It truly is amazing how our dogs can read our feelings. :angel: :dog:

Luvmypit
August 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ya its amazing and thank you for the condolences

I also remember one owner on here and now I cant recall that said her dog barked violently at a sex offender in her neighbourhood.

Thing is its not just their owners feelings but others around you. I have been in situations where I felt fine but my dog was clearly uncomfortable with this person. That has only happened twice. Once with an old landlord that later gave me the creeps and another from some guy that wondered over to our campsite suddenly through the bushes and capone was so not impressed with him as many other people came through the site with no problems. Next day we found out peoples beer, coolers, chairs and food ect... were stolen. Not sure if it was the same guy but you never know.