Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my new kitty nuts?

Mickey1981
July 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Hi all. I am new here, and I need some advice. I am a first time kitten mommy, and I am not sure if my cat is normal or not. She is about 9 weeks old, and is extremely aggressive. She scratches, hisses, bites, pounces, darts very fast all over, and all around kinda scares me. Should I be worried?

CyberKitten
July 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM
She sounds like a normal kitten to me - 9 weeks is almost too young to be away from her mom!! (tho I know some rescue groups do adopt kittens at 8 weeks, given all the cats they have). But breeders will only allow you to "adopt" when a kitten is at least 12 weeks. I doubt she is aggressive - she just sounds like a busy and playful kitten! I would not worry - tho don't let her become accustomed to biting you. That is a behaviour you can positively change, esp at her young age!

Play with her, get her lots of toys and keep her busy!! Enjoy her!

dtbmnec
July 26th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I have two kitties and sometimes I wonder when they manage to sleep! For the first few weeks I got them (and even now, though they've slowed down a bit) they were running allllll over the house; it sounds like I've got a herd of elephants up here! When they find flies in the house they chase them alllll over: up the windows, across my head (I have scratches to prove it...after all *I* was in *their* way when they went chasing after the fly), in the bedroom and out again, in the bathroom, etc. They chase each other constantly and tire themselves out quite a bit. :) They've even managed to chase each other *INTO* walls (that's always fun to watch...they sort of shake their heads after and run away from the wall to do it all over again in a month or two...they haven't figured out that the walls have been there since before they got here :p) and chair legs. They get into all sorts of mischief too.

Your cat sounds pretty normal to me, though while I am no expert I do have two of the little buggers. It makes it fun to sleep at night when they knock the door open (yes they've figured out how to do that!). :D

Megan

Mickey1981
July 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Glad to hear its normal. It kinda freaks me out, cause she seems to really only do it to me, when we're alone together. Maybe she senses that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm nervous?

Kristin7
July 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Most of that sounds normal to me, although I wonder about the hissing. Could be she is scared of something. If so, she'll most likely stop this when she is more used to her new surroundings and you.

MyBirdIsEvil
July 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM
LOL, sorry to laugh, but I've had LOTS of kittens, and this just sounds completely normal to me.
Small kittens go through a phase a lot of the time where they generally just hiss, scratch at you, run around a lot, try to climb up your legs, bite, etc..
It may seem angry and agressive, but most likely the kitten is just practicing it's ability to hunt and attack. It's just playing, but at that age, the kitten probably hasn't been taught social skills by it's mother (especially if it's mother wasn't well socialized with people).
Since the kitten is so young, it should just grow out of this phase.
Try having a whole LITTER of kittens around acting like this, now THAT gets annoying. 5 little kittens crawling up your leg and attacking your hands can kind of hurt :( .
If this behavior scares you, you could try getting some toys (best would be some kind of rod with a toy tied to a string), for the kitten to chase and play with. This would direct the kittens attention away from you and at the toy instead. If you kitten goes after hands instead, simply sit the kitten on the floor and distract it with the toy.
Hope this helps.

LibbyP
July 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM
(IMO) stay away from toys with feathers and foil, lets just say friends of mine little kitten while playing grabbed hold hold of the feather like they normally do, ripped alittle piece off and well... it didn't come out the other end, so please use caution while playing with feathers and foil. I also think this is normal kitten behavior, when your kitten starts to bite your hand stop play time, distract with a toy, enjoy the fun crazy times ahead with the new furbaby:thumbs up

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Sounds normal to me too....but I would get her a playmate. :D

Mickey1981
July 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate them. It makes me feel a lot better to know its pretty normal. The kitten came from a farm cat at my mother in law's place, and the daddy cat is wild, we think.
Al in all, she's a pretty cute little thing - kinda looks like a little bat when she's wet.:cat:

dtbmnec
July 28th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah they do look funny when wet huh? I've got some pics of my two when the boy and I ran a bath for US and the kitties decided that testing the water would be fun...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/Leo%20and%20Pawz/leowet3_320x240.jpg - This one is of Leo after his "dunk".

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/dtbmnec/Leo%20and%20Pawz/pawzwet4_320x240.jpg - And this is of Pawz...he only managed to get in halfway.

Leo's a farm cat as well and boy oh boy is he a handful! He's the crazy one of the two of them (and the little troublemaker) so if your kitty is anything like Leo, you will have lots of fun trying to keep her *OFF* of stuff!

Megan