Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat giving birth....

2Weiss
July 25th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Our outside cat is in the process of having kittens. Is it okay to keep checking on her or will she move where she's from. When I go to check on her she hisses and growls at me which is not her usual self. Please help!!!!!

catsnatcher-CDN
July 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Her reaction is normal. She's trying to protect her babies. Keep a safe distance so that she doesn't feel threatened.

When you have a chance, after they're born, catch'em, and move them ALL inside. After 8 weeks, they'll be ready to be adopted. Have them all spayed/neutered so that this never happens again.

jiorji
July 25th, 2006, 04:11 PM
same as last post...let her be for now. SHe knows what to do. Have you ever met a woman giving birth who's up for chat and cuddles?? lol

don't forget to give her water and food and she'll be thankful for that. But right now she's more interested in protecting her kittens :love:

2Weiss
July 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM
How long does it usually take to deliver? She was at our door for breakfast this morning at 6:30am. At 12:00pm when I found her she had one kitten and so far no more. How will I know she's done so I can move them?

catsnatcher-CDN
July 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM
It's hard to tell. Just keep an eye on her that she isn't suffering and that nothing is going wrong. I don't know how friendly she is with you but if she feels like her babies are threatened, she may move them all away. Then again, she can aggressively defend them also. After you are sure she's done and fine, TRAP HER FIRST in a cage/pet carrier by feeding her inside the cage. Then move her babies. Move them all inside in a secure place where she won't be too disturbed and keep her there until they are all fixed and/or adopted.

As for how soon to move her, I can't answer that. I don't know. I would move her as soon as she's up and eating inside the pet carrier maybe.