Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Abusive dog owners on the street

Maya
July 25th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Well I just had to get this off my chest because I see this sort of thing a lot and I just don't know what to do about it. This example happened a while back and got me so upset I was shaking afterwards. I was on my rollerblades approaching an intersection. I was on the sidewalk going very slow as there is no possible way of going in the street here without risking getting killed. So anyway I am very controlled I have a lot of backround in ice skating dance etc so I slow down without a peep WAY BACK because there is a man standing waiting to cross at the light up ahead with a young pitbull that I didn't want to startle. As I'm waiting she decides to run behind him and start sniffing around in a flower bed and she has a short rope attached to her collar that I guess he wasn't holding. He turns around runs grabs her yanks her and starts hitting her really hard so that she is terrified and just trying not to get hit and crying and then he drags her back to the light. Then he turns around, I guess he noticed me while he was beating her, looks at me and says "can you not rollerblade near my dog it makes her nervous"!!!! I just glared I felt so angry I couldn't speak. So then he says "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO TELL ME HOW I SHOULD TREAT MY DOG NOW??" I just looked at him and said "I didn't say anything". Other people were standing around ignoring the whole thing. I've seen this with kids too they get hit or something and everyone just pretends they didn't see.:mad:

Prin
July 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Unbelievable. :sad: Poor dog has to live with that a**.

jiorji
July 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM
wow
that's some really angry man.

i always think of people like that who lash out on "lower lifeforms" as a way to control the anger they have. Perhaps someone else treats them like that and that's how they release that tension? By no means am i taking this moron's side but that's my only explanation. Too bad some innocent animals/kids gets stuck with anger management individuals who know nothing of how to control themselves. He probably treats his gf/wife the same.:mad:

erykah1310
July 25th, 2006, 04:57 PM
The one most disturbing thing i ever saw first hand was when i was like 11 or so, I was walking with my dog as i did every nite and when we walked by this one particular house the dog that was ALWAYS tied out started barking ( you know, as dogs do!) well the owner comes out ( i guess he didnt know i was there cause it was almost dark) he grabbed a shovel ( a spade one) and just started wailing on the dog! :eek:
I LOST IT!!!! I started bawling and ran over to him yelling the most vulgar things to him ( I startled him big time) I threw my bottle of iced tea at him ( glass one)
I ran home and called the spca IMMEDIATELY.
But they didnt do anything.:mad:
This particular guy still lives at that house and when i worked at the lumber yard he was on my crew. He kept trying to talk to me but there was no way i was going to say A DAMN WORD to him. ( I dont think he remembers who i am)
A**
I hate that guy sooo much
The dog is now long gone.... to where I dont know....
I like to think to a better place anyway

Some people are dispicable

mastifflover
July 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I can only imagine the things you wanted to say and do but good thing you did not. People like that are loose cannons and who knows what he may have done to you or the dog. I hate these a$$holes

Maya
July 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Yes I thought of all sorts of things I should have or could have said afterwards but decided it was probably best I didn't because he may have got quite abusive towards me. It is true he was possibly a victim at one time himself to be acting like that, some people turn it in some out. I just wish they wouldn't hurt inocent creatures. I've reported in a few cases but I don't feel like I can do it every time I see something. Thanks for the replys and stories, sometimes I feel like a bit of a freak because I can get so upset over these sort of things and it seems like so many others are able to just turn the other way or shrug it off. One thing I was thinking at the time was if only she had had some sort of licence number visible so it could have been reported easily and he be officially warned and required to take anger managment courses if he wanted to keep her. I can't really see that working though :(

Weedle
July 26th, 2006, 05:26 AM
The thing is, that pitbull is being taught that agression is an acceptable form of getting what you want, so one day it'll snap back and bite someone.

Not because it's a bad dog, but because it's all he/she knows.

It saddens me :sad:

Weedle :)

Golden Girls
July 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Maya - I can only imagine how upsetting that must of been but your certainly not a freak for caring. Other's may of seem to shrug it off but I'd be surprised if not most at least some of the witnesses had been affected as well. It kinda stuns you and your first instinct is naturally fear of the person (with reason)but like Mastiflover said you never know how they will react as their most likely "loose cannons" and just plain :sick:

This is generalizing ... and not directed in any way at you Maya :)

According to Dr. Harold S. Koplewicz, Director of the child study at New York University "Because domestic abuse is directed toward the powerless, animal abuse and child abuse often go hand in hand. Parents who neglect an animal’s need for proper care or abuse animals may also abuse or neglect their own children. Some abusive adults who know better than to abuse a child in public have no such qualms about abusing an animal publicly."

Because animal abuse is proven a cowardly act toward the powerless - more then not the abusers do become very submissive when challenged. It's true people don't think twice about hitting an animal in public - just like this a** they think it's their right :(

Personally I speak out especially when people are around ... mostly for back up if needed. I found many people want to speak out and if one person does they feel safe enough and want to help. There is more of us then them and having a witness is helpful if needed. Maybe one day I'll get **** but at that moment all my common sense goes right out the window anyway.

It is against the law to hit any animal and it's 911 you call - not the SPCA. You can remain annonomous and demand the police to press criminal charges. It is your right as a citizen to report abuse. It's actually against the law not to :o This being the reason the police do not know it's in the criminal code - Section 446 A + B. Most think it won't make a difference but every call is logged as well as all complaints/reports so the more complaints they receive about animal abuse the more likely they'll have no choice but to enforce law. It's not a perfect solution and it does take time out of day to involve yourself but it's worth it for the animals. They obviously can't :confused: If not us, who then?

Sorry it's a long post ... I just felt it was an important thing to say regarding the OP's witness to this way too often public abuse.

Maya
July 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
GG thank you for that information I did know it was against the law to not report child abuse I didn't know that it was the same for animals. I also had no idea you could call 911 either because I've heard stories of people calling 911 for injured pets and getting in trouble, the situation was probably different though. Actually your post has a lot of really good information. It is so true that people become stunned and I actually struggle with ptsd (due to abuse) so freeze up especially in abusive situations making it very difficult to act when I most want to. I think this guy did get the hint though when I didn't answer him just glared at him when he requested that I "not make his dog nervous by getting close" Indeed it would have been better to take it further and report the abuse because we need to work together to protect the inocent and helpless because they can't do it themselves. I think the majority of abuse does happen behind closed doors as well which is one reason it is such a problem, at least if it is in view there is an obvious opportunity for someone to intervene. criminal code - Section 446 A + B I will check this out!

Maya
July 29th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Thought I'd share this link, it is a really good explanation of where our laws are with regard to animal cruelty. Change for the better always seems to be impeded by the interests of those with money at stake. No pun intended:p

http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/articles/ddcananimalcrueltylegislation.htm

LM1313
July 29th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I hang out on a toy collector message board as well and one day someone started a thread in Off Topic called, "Did your parents hit you?" OMG, I couldn't believe how many people had been smacked by their parents . . . And I don't mean a little spank, it was things like, "My mom used to whip me with extension cords when she got mad" or "Yeah, one time my step-dad tried to choke me, but I kicked him and got away" . . . I was truly shaken, it had happened to SO MANY PEOPLE.

And if that happened secretly to so many children, imagine how often it must happen to animals, who can never tell anyone or run away to a relative's house or call 911. :(

rainbow
July 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Thought I'd share this link, it is a really good explanation of where our laws are with regard to animal cruelty. Change for the better always seems to be impeded by the interests of those with money at stake. No pun intended:p

http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/articles/ddcananimalcrueltylegislation.htm

It's time our laws were changed. Although, I don't like the man, Mr. Harper does seem to be an animal lover. I did post elsewhere, but I think maybe it's time to get on his a** about changing the laws. I'm not good at putting thoughts into words,so if anyone out there can start something, I'll back you 100%.

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Rainbow: Thank you for asking ... it just so happens something has recently been started :D Please, everyone's signature is greatly appreciated. It's all about numbers, the more people that involve themselves, the more the matter will be taking seriously. We got to try :fingerscr

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/683542106?ltl=1154040078

For anyone wishing to take it one step further: You might also like to respond to the letter below and send a copy to Pierre Barnoti/MSPCA, Anima Quebec and your MP - can't hurt :shrug:

Subject: Fw: Response to Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Minister Yvon Vallières

Hi Everyone,

Below is my email to M. Frederic Lagace (Claire.a.Lessard@mapaq.gouv.qc.ca ) which I also forwarded to Ms Julie Mac Murray, Political Attaché of the Premiere's Office (commentairesPM ) who answered my original email to Jean Charest. Any one writing them about this topic, should cc both addresses. Please take the time to write.

To: commentairesPM
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 2:17 PM
Subject: Response to Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Minister Yvon Vallières

Dear Mr. Lagace,

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge my email to our Premiere, however, your response in extremely vague and does not offer any concrete information as to what your offices are prepared to do about this very real and present problem. By not enforcing any animal protection laws here in Quebec, we are not only breeding a surplus of unwanted pets, but are also contributing to the development of cruel tendencies in people who later graduate to cruelty towards humans. This is a proven statistic, that most violent criminals do in fact start out with violence towards animals. Is this the kind of distinct society we are?

I would also like to point out that I was extremely insulted by the lackluster, generic response letter that I got from Ms
Julie Mac Murray, Political Attaché of the Premiere's Office. To quote her, "In this respect, we believe it is important to mention that, since January 2005, the Division of the Act respecting the health, safety and welfare of animals (L.R.Q., c. P-42) referring to animals’ safety and welfare is in force. Accordingly, inspection of dogs’ and cats’ places of custody and breeding is feasible in Quebec through this law." How much more ridiculous does this make us look considering that Quebec remains the leader in its incubation and nurturing of puppy mills? How much more ridiculous does this make us look every time we lead the way in national news with animal cruelty cases and the fact that no one is enforcing these laws? How "feasible" exactly is it for authorities to "inspect dogs' and cats' places of custody and breeding" and if so, why is it not being done properly?

To further quote Ms Mac Murray, "The inspection mandate has been referred to the Association nationale pour le mieux-être des animaux (ANIMA-Québec). We invite you to communicate with this agency to report a doubtful case or to get more information (1 866 321-1771 or www.animaquebec.com)." We all know about the existence of the famous ANIMA-Quebec, but they are never seen to be anywhere near when animal cruelty is found, including the latest husky case in St-Jean de Matha. Where were they then? The truth is, the entire animal welfare legislature has been thrown on the back burner, and is critically financially emaciated. It is an outright disgrace for our society, and with all due respect, our politicians who won't give the time of day to tax payers like us who spend ourselves cleaning up the mess left behind by not only those who thrive on their cruelty and exploitation of animals, but those in power who do not take the necessary and due action to exercise the enforcement of legislature that would help eradicate such inhumane behaviour.

I have had enough, and I will take this matter further through media into public attention. Believe me when I say there are many supporters for this just cause, and many of them voted for your office. I challenge the honorable Jean Charest to meet with myself at his convenience to discuss a concrete plan of action that will solve this problem once and for all. I challenge him to stop hiding behind his spokespersons and show himself as the caring human being that he wanted everyone to think he was when it was time to vote him into office. I challenge him to make a difference, to make a promise, and stand by it.

Furthermore, as mentioned in my original letter to the Premiere, I am prepared to work along side you and help raise funds if necessary to help propel this legislature and its enforcement forward. I am open to all your ideas and suggestions, and look forward to a speedy response from you.

Please be advised that this email is being copied to all my media contacts.

Sincerely Yours,

----- Original Message -----
To: *****
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:54 AM
Subject: Accusé de réception

July 18, 2006

Ms. ******

Dear Ms. *****

On behalf of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Minister Yvon Vallières, I hereby acknowledge receipt of your email of last June 26 transfered by Premier’s Office Minister concerning the puppy mills.

Rest assured that we took careful note of its content.

Sincerely,

Frédéric Lagacé
Political Attaché

Golden Girls
July 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Aaccording to Merriam Webster Online Dictionary: (breeding facilities)
puppy mill
One entry found for puppy mill.
Main Entry: puppy mill
Function: noun
: a commercial farming operation in which purebred dogs are raised in large numbers

mastifflover
July 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I agree everyone needs to put their signatures on this petition. We have to be proactive if we want change. Maybe if it gets enough media attention something may actually get done.

Maya
July 30th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I think our government is "afraid" to change the laws because of the meat industry, if they say puppy mills are cruel than it will threaten the industries that make huge money on treating animals as inanimate resource for profit. I just wanted to throw that out there for brainstorming purposes not to be negative:( The petition is certainly great though and I hope it helps:fingerscr

chico2
July 30th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Maya,what you are saying is actually the case...one of the reasons our 100yr old animal cruelty act has not been changed,has to do with very negative responses from Alberta and the other western provinces,where the livelyhood is often cattle.
Then we have the horrific pig-factoryfarms,chicken-farms etc...it's all about money,it would cost the owners and the slaughter houses too much money to change,to start treating our food-sources in a humane way,including transport from farm to slaughterhouses.
The Animal-Cruelty act is after all not only about cats and dogs.

jiorji
July 30th, 2006, 05:18 PM
some people are very confused about dog discipline it seems. Erikah that's disgusting to even think about. Poor dog.

My dad used to work with someone who just got a Rottweiler puppy and APPARENTLY, this man's obedience and house training required punishment. And by punishment I meant beating the dog so he'd know not to pee in the house next time :sad: :frustrated: That man one day will get bitten and he'll wonder why. Animals just like people have a limit to the abuse they take. And he's a puppy, poor baby getting all those shots for his lack of bladder control :sad:

I don't know what to say. SOme people are raised so disrespectful of animals.

rainbow
July 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Rainbow: Thank you for asking ... it just so happens something has recently been started Please, everyone's signature is greatly appreciated. It's all about numbers, the more people that involve themselves, the more the matter will be taking seriously. We got to try

Signed and forwarded to everyone on my email list. :pawprint: :dog:

Maya
July 31st, 2006, 02:40 PM
Maya,what you are saying is actually the case...one of the reasons our 100yr old animal cruelty act has not been changed,has to do with very negative responses from Alberta and the other western provinces,where the livelyhood is often cattle.
Then we have the horrific pig-factoryfarms,chicken-farms etc...it's all about money,it would cost the owners and the slaughter houses too much money to change,to start treating our food-sources in a humane way,including transport from farm to slaughterhouses.
The Animal-Cruelty act is after all not only about cats and dogs.

If we care enough we can all stop supporting the slaughterhouses when we go to the supermarket. Perhaps that would send a message they could understand since it is all about money. I suspect they are fairly wealthy people that could give up a few cars, cabins or vacations to reduce some suffering and if they lost enough money through a boycott they would have to change. Even if everyone who is not already vegetarian started eating meat only every other day they would be vegetarian for six months out of the year which I think would make a difference :o

[edit] And of course sign the petition too! :)