Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lame Dog Owner Rant!

Weedle
July 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Right, here goes....

This is about a "friend" of mine and to get this whole situation, you have to understand that she is VERY self centered, VERY self obsessed, and is likes to be the dominant person in any relationship.

7 1/2 months ago, my friend bought a KC registered Golden Retriever pup (female) and bought her home at 8 weeks. :pawprint:

She lives in a 2nd floor 1 bed flat (it's small, I live on the floor below her) and lets her dog have the run of the flat.

She started the training fine and both were doing really well, but then she got bored after about 3 months and gave up. The dog still went tp toilet in the right place (they use "Puppy Pads") but now she chews EVERYTHING including me, barks to an annoying degree, jumps on the sofa and proceeds to trample over whoever is sitting on the sofa and tries (and sometimes suceeds) to steal food from your plate.

The plot thickens...

She works for a dog rescue center and likes to think she knows everything there is to know about dogs and enjoys putting me down when I talk about dogs because I've never actually owned one :(

4 weeks ago she got a call whilst she was off duty, they had found 5 Lab/Staffordshire Bull Terriers abandoned in a sack in a field, they were about 5 weeks old and they needed her to help take them back to the center, she rang me to let me know and 2 hours later, turned up on my doorstep with one of the pups (female). :pawprint:

Now, I know this is her business, but she walks the golden retriever three times a week, and is taking the lab X along with her....The pup is NINE WEEKS OLD and has only just had her first injection!

The golden retriever is getting very food agressive and has gone for the little one on more than one occasion, and beyond that, she now has TWO potentially large dogs in a one bed flat, isn't walking them correctly, isn't bothering to train EITHER of them, and is leaving them unnatended most days for 5-8 hours a time.....

What should I do???

:sorry: Sorry about the length but I felt I had to explain everything!!

Weedle :)

mastifflover
July 25th, 2006, 12:27 PM
7 1/2 months ago, my friend bought a KC registered Golden Retriever pup (female) and bought her home at 8 weeks.

The plot thickens...

She works for a dog rescue center and likes to think she knows everything there is to know about dogs and enjoys putting me down when I talk about dogs because I've never actually owned one

Kind of makes me go hmmm works in rescue and gets a dog from a breeder. Anyhow you sound like a much more responsible person is there anyway you can maybe spend sometime with these two poor dogs who I can see the Goldens fate already being dumped into the rescue. But this pup should not be put in this situation is it possible for you to foster it, would be the best possible solution especially for the pup it does not need to be attacked nor does it need to be taught aggression from her dog. If not I would call the rescue and speak to the person in charge and explain the situation and your relationship to her and that you do not want to cause tension between you and her since she lives above you. But are concerned for the pup and the other dog. The pup belongs to the rescue doesn't it? Or did she adopt it? And if she did why would she adopt a female and not a male is she looking for problems and I say that since her dog is showing food aggression and females are much more prone to get into it than males. I am guessing working in rescue is a job for her and not a true passion. But she does not sound like she really knows a lot about dogs, not more than your average dog owner and that is not always a lot.

Weedle
July 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Right, I'll try to answer all of your questions!

- I offer to walk the Retriever and carry the pup as her and her boyfriend both work long hours and I'm free in the evenings (cooler over here!!) She refuses and tell's me their fine without excercise for a couple of days or makes an excuse that the elder pup is "on heat"....I swear she's been in season for about 2 months now!! ;)

- She insits that she is going to take care of both dogs until they die, she won't let anyone take them off her. Since getting the Lab X she has bought 2 rabbits and gerbils, so I can't see them lasting that long either. I'd love to take one of the pup's from her, but she insits she's doing nothing wrong! :eek:

- She adopted the little'un (who I call Lucky, much to her disgust!!) and tells everyone that Female/Female mixes are better as you won't get mating problems or aggression. When I pointed out that two females are MORE likely to be aggressive I was told "Shut up, what would you know about it, after all, the only stuff you know is out of a book" :( :sad:

- I swear the only reason she works with the rescue center is so she can justify having two dogs in a flat and use her position to influence people. She parades around in her uniform on her days off and out of hours like she owns the place.

I really feel for the pup's and have tried talking to the rescue home but all they say is that they cannot talk about adoptions to parties not involved :(

Weedle :)

mastifflover
July 25th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I really feel for the pup's and have tried talking to the rescue home but all they say is that they cannot talk about adoptions to parties not involved
You would think they would be concerned about one of the pups from there rescue and especially if this girl works in rescue. This is not meant to be funny but she shows signs of being an animal horder and this can become a huge problem for the animals and her. Maybe you could call AC they may be able to offer some suggestions. Thanks for caring about these animals

mummummum
July 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Wow - how hard it must be to stand by and watch all of this unfold. When you say she "wears a uniform" does that mean she would be an employee say of a public health unit or animal control services associated with the City or Township in which you live? Or is your version of "rescue" the same as is ours - a volunteer / group of volunteers? I think you need to start going up the ladder as it were. If her supervisors aren't interested in your concerns ~ is there anyone in the City or township ~ even an elected official will do ~ you can turn to as Mastifflover has suggested for help in intervening ? Those poor dawgs!

Prin
July 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
That's sad. To me, you sound like more of an authority on dogs than she is. Poor doggies. Lucky they have you.

Weedle
July 26th, 2006, 05:15 AM
In the UK there are a few "Animal Chairty's" these take in stray and abandoned dogs and do one of three things with them:

1) Rehabilitate them and then put them up for adoption.
2) If they are un-suitable for rehoming, they allow people to "sponsor" them, which enables the charity to keep the dog in their kennels and to have it looked after by their staff.
3) If the dog is REALLY unwell or a high risk to the public, they will have it PTS :sad:

My "friend" works for one of these charities as a kennel hand and also walks the dogs.

We don't really have Animal Control or anything over here, and our laws, rules and regulations are no-where near as strict as in the US and Canada (I wish they were though) so even if I was to go to our local council, they would do nothing....

I don't think that there is much I can do, I just feel like I want to take the dogs and never give them back!! Everytime the doggies see me, they run up and nuzzle their head in my legs (I crouch down to them) and when they are called they look at me almost as if to say "Do we have to go back?"

Poor Puppies :pawprint: :pawprint:

TMac
August 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi Weedle,

Not sure if you are near London? What about Battersea Dogs Home? Maybe they can provide some advice or assistance? I've only heard about it because I'm addicted to the tv program about Battersea that I get through the Pet Network tv channel here!

LM1313
August 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
She's in animal rescue and her dog isn't spayed?? :eek:

OntarioGreys
August 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
We don't really have Animal Control or anything over here, and our laws, rules and regulations are no-where near as strict as in the US and Canada (I wish they were though) so even if I was to go to our local council, they would do nothing....

The laws here and in the US are by no means strict

The laws basically protect the animal from being tortured, denied food, water and shelter. that is basically it there is no lawsa to say how often a dog must be walked, how much attention must be paid to it.

It is quite legal to chain a dog for it's entire life outside alone as long as it has some form of shelter, and as long it has food and water. Not even rescues have legal authority to go in and take a dog that they placed as long as minimum care is given, If a there was a breech of contract they would have to hire a lawyer and go to court and hope they win inorder to reclaim the dog, at a cost of several thousand dollars. which most rescues cannot afford to do