Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good Morning

Autumnsky
July 25th, 2006, 05:33 AM
[F][/FONT]
Good Morning,

Just found this site. So far I like what I see. I'm thrilled that it is a Canadian site. I was interested in the 'ask a vet' section. After quickly reviewing the archives I am almost certain that my question has not been asked. Perhaps somebody reading this post will have an answer. My dog loves watermelon, and raspberries. Are these safe for her to eat? Grapes seemed harmless, and she liked them, but I now know that they can cause renal failure. I know of somebody who's dog did die because of eating grapes. I would appreciate any info anybody could offer.
Cheers

Puppyluv
July 25th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Good Morning and Welcome!
As per the raspberries, there was a recent (short) thread on them: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28800&highlight=raspberry

for the watermelon, I'm pretty sure it's ok.

Buddy's Heart
July 25th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Welcome ....I am not sure on Watermelon..hope you find your answer;)

Autumnsky
July 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Thank you Puppyluv for the information. I appreciate it!

K9Friend
July 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I don't think a raspberry here and there is going to hurt them, no? I have quite a few plants and always give a few to my dog when I'm picking them. She loves them!

mastifflover
July 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi and welcome. Grapes are toxic to dogs they can cause kidney failure. This is a great link to plant, fruits, and vegetables that are toxic to dogs. Usually fruits with seed or pits tend to be toxic the poison to dogs is in the seeds. You will be surprised at some of the things that are poisonous
http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/toxic.htm

Puppyluv
July 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I don't think a raspberry here and there is going to hurt them, no? I have quite a few plants and always give a few to my dog when I'm picking them. She loves them!

No, probably not, and some dogs also have different tolerances. As an example, when she was younger, Layla ate a pound of yogurt covered raisins. When I realized what had happened, I freaked, took her to the vet, but she had already digested them. The vet checked her out, and she was fine. Never showed any discomfort or signs of illness, and the vet concluded that she is not sensitive to them. Despite that, I don't give her raisins or grapes, but it just goes to show that each dog is different when it comes to food tollerance.

Cruiser
July 26th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with Puppylove. Each dog is different,I have always been very careful what my dogs may or may not have.In saying this,I have a plum tree which my chesapeake has been enjoying for years,lol.
She's been plumming for 10 years now and has never gotten sick.She DOES NOT eat the pits however, which is a good thng.If she had of i would have had to fence the tree off.

Great site Mastifflover,everyone who owns pets should read this one.:thumbs up

RVT092481
July 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the site mastifflover! I printed it off and took into work as well for when people call up! Thanks so much! It's hard to find a detailed list with so many things.

Autumnsky
July 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Yes, thank you Mastifflover for the list. Although, after going through it I was a little afraid to let Asia outside.........:)