Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

acid reflux

annie-22
July 24th, 2006, 08:32 PM
what can i give my 34 lb. cocker for some kind of acid reflux? it's a dry cough like he has to cough something up but doesn't. the vet said it's age and a kind of reflux. it goes on throughout the day.

Prin
July 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Really? He didn't suggest it was kennel cough or anything else? I've never heard a vet attribute a cough to acid reflux...:o

papillonmama
July 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Did the vet say reflux or reverse sneeze?

Try googling reverse sneeze, you can find some more info, I'm just assuming that your vet said it was this but if your dog hasn't had it's kennel cough vaccine I would check with your vet again.

Cymba's friend
July 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Is the vet certain that the dry cough is due to acid reflux? I cannot comment on the cough, but acid reflux can be treated with Zantac or Famotidine. Should you decide to do this, you should discuss it with your vet and get him or her to recommend it as well as the daily dosage. It is very effective in reducing acidity in the stomach, whether for reflux or other diseases that are related to stomach acidity (including ulcers).
Just a thought... good luck.

odindog
August 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM
Usually acid reflux is a dry cough which enduces vomiting. try pepto bismol. 12cc's for a 35lb dog. give water, limit food and keep an eye on it. Could be reverse sneezing, but thats usulay easy to tell b.c its like extended loud snorting. Prone in short faced dogs. TO check if its kennel cough, rub on either side of his asophogus(cant spell it) and if he starts coughing uncontroallbly, thats it... good luck. (look into a homeopathic vet too)