Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unwell Welsh Terrier

Duncadoo
July 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hi. I have a normally healthy 1 year old Welsh Terrier. Over the past few days, he's not been himself - droopy ears, hung-dog look. He still has a decent appetite but has had a few instances of dry-heaves and heavy panting (though it's been super hot outside). He's drinking well too - perhaps too much He started peeing in the house two days ago and although he doesn't have a fever (at least I don't think so) he sometimes shakes - sometimes when he's lying down on his side you can really see it in his legs. Today he has loose mucousy stools but that's likley due to the wet food I gave him last night to try to entice him to eat. Has anyone ever seen this type of shaking before?

Prin
July 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I think he needs to go to the vet asap. You can't really guess if a dog has a fever or not- they're already hotter than us and our sense of touch just isn't that sensitive.

rainbow
July 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I agree....a trip to the vet is necessary. Please post with an update. :pawprint:

LavenderRott
July 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, my dog did that once. I took her to the vet and was prescribed some medicine for the condition that he diagnosed after giving her a complete physical exam.

Duncadoo
July 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks to those who've replied thus far. He's been to the vet and since his urine was so diluted from all the water he's drinking, the test was not conclusive that it is a urinary infection. He's on meds though preliminary blood test results just came in that show his liver enzymes are extremely elevated. More thorough bloodwork tomorrow.

Prin
July 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Good luck!:)