Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Small breeds and small children

jennypop3
July 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I have a 2 year old child, and we just bought a pomeranian. I've read that they aren't good with small children. I was just wondering if anyone has raised a pm with a small child.:pawprint:

LavenderRott
July 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
My mom raised poms when I was a child. We got our first bitch when I was 12. Whether or not they are good with young children depends, in large part, on the young children.

While you housebreak your puppy, teach your child basic doggy manners.

Don't chase the dog.
Don't take food from the dog.
Don't pull on the dog.
Don't sit on the dog.
Don't tease the dog.
Don't hit the dog.

Make sure that your pup has a safe place. Mine has a crate that he is free to go into at any time, and where he stays when I am not home. When he is in his crate, no one is allowed to mess with him.

And just because your child is strong enough to control the dog (maybe - my little guy drags me all over the place if I let him) doesn't mean that the child should be walking the dog on a leash. I know of one pup that got drug off a porch by a young child and ended up with a badly broken leg.

They are great little dogs, if handled right. I strongly suggest an obedience class - these guys are very bright and can get into mischief if bored.

SarahLynn123
July 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I have a 4 year old Pom, and although he is hyper and excited all the time, anytime someone let him out of the house accidently, I just listen for kids. I always find him in the middle of the biggest groups of kids, trying to kiss them and play with them all;) .

His home before ours was with two young boys and he was fantastic with them, they got rid of him because they didn't have anytime for him anymore. As long as you follow LavendeRotts rules, they should get along just fine!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
July 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I think any dog breed could be good with kids. Proper socialization, obediance training and -- I cannot stress it enough -- surpervision are key. The child needs to know how to treat a dog with respect, and the same goes for the dog.