Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

71/2 month old Lab/Pointer Diahrrea Problem

bosstang
July 24th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Hi I have a 7 and a 1/2 month old Lab/Pointer mix. A high energy Puppy. Last 3 nights he has had Diahrrea all over the house. He is eating well 2 cups in the morning a cup and a half in the evening. I am using the same food as the rescue was that I got him from at 12 weeks. He is still full of energy and seems to have no other complaints. He did get into his treat tin and consume maybe 7 or 8 cookies ( usuelly give him only 1 every other day). Hi morning stool is not as firm as usual but not bad and there is no blood present at any time. Not sure if I need to take him to the vet or if this is a result of his getting into the treats and it will take a couple of days to sort out. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

kaytris
July 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM
With diarrhea, I always fast for at least half a day - although a full day is preferable. Some will say don't fast, but feed them a bland meal of steamed rice with maybe a bit of boiled chicken. Plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, with sugar) can also help firm things up, but I prefer to let the system rest with the fast, and then feed one or two meals of rice. If that doesn't get things improving, or if there is blood, off to the vet

mastifflover
July 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I would give him a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin in his food. I find sometimes when it as hot as it has been it gets to some dogs. Give it another day and if not better a trip to the vet maybe in order

Prin
July 24th, 2006, 11:16 AM
If it's violent diarrhea, I'd head to the vet. Three days of it could lead to dehydration...

Otherwise, (if it's not violent) I'd fast for a day.

rainbow
July 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
his morning stool is not as firm as usual but not bad

Do you mean his poop is starting to firm up from when the diarrhea first started? If so, I would feed him boiled chicken and rice until it's normal. If his poop is still the same diarrhea and not firming up then I would take hime to the vet asap. :pawprint: