Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Caught another one

erykah1310
July 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Well during the blackout I had little or nothing to do, so i set up the trap in the shed where Larry and Mia were caught ( seeing as though periodically food still goes missing in there) within an hour I had caught a VERY skiddish adult cat, I have no idea if it is a male or female, it is very scared of me right now.
For the sake of arguement we will now refer to the cat as a female OK?
Any who, i set her up comfortably in my spare room ( renamed Kitty haven) and she is hiding and eating well. She has used the litter box daily and is slowly coming out to show what I am calling her appreciation about me feeding her.

Since i havent ever delt with a cat who is this " wild" before, i was just wondering what i should do for her to keep her happy until i can earn enough of her trust to bring her in to the vet for a checkup and a spay or neuter??

Thanks for any advice and i will post a picture of her up when ever i can get a shot of her.

kaytris
July 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
what about the pheromene sprays, comfort zone feline version?

I know many that have had good success with the canine version...

badger
July 23rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
It sounds like you're doing just fine. Always let her take the initiative. Right now your presence alone is enough; talk to her quietly and move slowly when you're around her; gradually she will realize you're not a threat. Does she look like she's been on the lam for long (ie beat up, scabby, excessively thin)? The fact that although she's afraid of you, she's settling in, would suggest that she is not feral, just someone's lost pet who has managed to survive. Keeping her happy at the moment means food, a calm environment and human company, all the things she's been missing. Everything will unfold from there.
Until you get her to the vet, no contact with your other cats, for obvious reasons.
Good on ya!
Keep us posted.

glasslass
July 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Until we get to see a picture, can we get a description? Most rescue threads start out sad and then, sometimes, end up happily. This one is starting out great!:thumbs up

mastifflover
July 24th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Your an angel and seem to be doing great with her.

chico2
July 24th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Erykah,you are doing wonderful:thumbs up and are a true kitty:angel:
The fact "she"is using the litter-box,eating calmly and not climbing the walls,more likely means she just needs to be reminded of what a good life was like:love:
I don't know much about how feral cats react to capture,but I can imagine and her behaviour seems more like that of a domestic cat.
Kudos to you for helping"her"! :grouphug:

catsnatcher-CDN
July 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Couple of things I do to ease the transition:

1. I leave a radio or tv on a channel with non stop chatting so that they get use to human sounds.

2. I use 3 baby gates to make a door so that they can't get out of the room but still see our movements and habits. They can inspect it safely in their room and adjust to all the weird noises we make.

3. As weeks go by, I slowly give them a bit more space, always using babygates as a make-shift door.

4. Instead of reading on the sofa or bed, I read outloud in the room so that they get use to my voice.

It's all I can remember for now.

rainbow
July 24th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I agree with Chico and Badger and think that she once was someone's cat. I rescued a male cat once just after we moved here. He was living in the bush beside my neighbours and she said he'd been hanging around for at least six months. She (an old Russian woman) had been leaving milk and bread outside for him and he was also in her compost bin all the time.

I started taking him over bits of chicken and fish or whatever else we had left over. I got scratched a couple of times and bit once (not bad) but I persisted. Each day I would spend time talking to him and finally after about 2weeks he would come up to me and I could pet him.

The next step was I got our large pet carrier and place it at the edge of our property and started leaving cat food and water there. After a few days he was actually staying in the carrier so I moved it beside our garage. We had our two huskies (RIP :angel: ) at the time. Although they were used to a cat as we'd had one previosly (RIP :angel: ) I knew there would be a definite period of adjustment especially on the cat's part.

We had a large cage that we had built to fit in the back of our pick-up to transport our dogs when we moved across province. It was in the garage so we put a piece of plywood on top with a blanket and put the cat there with his food and water and litter box. After about three weeks of getting used to the dogs and realizing they weren't going to hurt him, he was finally ready to join us in the house.

We took him to the vet for shots and then to get him neutered. We couldn't keep him inside all day but he did always come back when called and he became very loving. I kept him in as much as possible but he just totally insisted on going out once a day. And then, you guessed it, one day he didn't come home. :sad: We searched and searched but to no avail. We presume a coyote got him. :sad:

So, Erykah, I'm sure within a couple of weeks of talking to her you will gain her trust and it was so nice of you to rescue her. :highfive:

erykah1310
July 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Have some pics, just got them,
I think "she" has been on the lam for a while, "she" is missing the tip of her right ear and has some big scabs on her nose and so on. Thats really all i can see as of now.
When I went in the room to clean her litter box out she came out of her hiding spot as if to check to see what i was up to.
I think she will eventually come around.
Heres the 2 pics i snapped today ( didnt want to overly stress her out)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/wildone.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/wildone2.jpg

Stacer
July 24th, 2006, 04:59 PM
She's pretty, she looks alot like my Finn. Good luck

rainbow
July 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Oh "she" is pretty. And checking you out already....I bet she's sitting in your lap within a week. :D

erykah1310
July 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM
:fingerscr

chico2
July 24th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Aww,what a lucky little"girl",she actually looks like a girl-kitty:love:

erykah1310
July 25th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well i just took 5 minutes away from the computer and went in to check on the cat.

I topped up his water dish and food and sat on the bed and talked to the cat ( who is most definately a HE :o )
He came over to my toes and sniffed me so i slowly put my hand down and after a bit if hesitation he sniffed my hand, looked at me and pushed up on my hand with his head ( the " pet me please" push)
So i did, and he started to purr. IM SOO HAPPY hes coming around, gotta call the vet tomorrow and set something up for next week.

glasslass
July 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Awww! I'm happy for him! I'm happy for you! :love: :love:

erykah1310
July 25th, 2006, 10:00 PM
WOW, I really think you all were right about him, being a once loved pet. Now that he understands that good things come from me he is one cuddle puss! I go in the room and he comes a slinking over ( he walks funny, all crouched like) then its purrs and cuddles the whole way.
All that may change after his prolly first visit to the vet for needles and a neuter appointment.:o

I have named him Moxy ( just popped in my head) and i think he likes it.
So... now .... for the next month or so.... I am up to 6 cats:eek: Thank GOD ( or who ever you chose to thank) that I got this great job :D

I am hoping that Moxy can start looking for a forever home in a month.:fingerscr
Lets all keep our :fingerscr that there isnt anything wrong with him ( illnesses and so on)

On a tad of a sadder note though, now that i can touch him, he is literally SKIN AND BONES.
Hopefully some good food and love will fix that up.

Stacer
July 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
That's awesome news. I'm glad he came around. Good luck finding him a forever home.

chico2
July 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Boy,was I wrong:D Most of the time you can tell if it's a boy or girl,by looking at their faces,it's just something girlie about a girl-kitty,but not this time:D
So you have 6 cats,hmmmm,that's a lot of cats,wish I could have 6..
I am so happy for Moxy,he's definetly one of the lucky ones:love:
Hopefully all he needs is food to fatten up,that there is nothing else wrong with him:fingerscr