Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trouble with giving intravenous water through skin

stroker42
July 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
HELP !!

Me and my wife have been trying for over two hours to give Mona her water treatments through the skin(I can't remember the term). Anyway, we can't get the needle to stay in and Mona want be still. Anyone have any tricks they have used in the past.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Brian

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Did the vet show you how?

stroker42
July 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
She showed my wife but for some reason the needle does not seem to want to stay in. Were going to try in an hour and if no luck I will bring in some help to get this done. Maybe we both just need another lesson.

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
I only ever did it once (or even a half a time) on a cat, and the needle had to be held. If we let go, it would come out because of the pressure...

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Sub-Q i presume? I would mount the bag on a coat hanger or something elevated. Have her lay down on her tummy, and one of you brace her across her neck/upper back, with their chest, and one arm, and hold her two front paws/legs with their other arm. The other person pinch the flesh on the upper back, just below the bracing, and inject there. Once in, hold the needle with one hand, and plunge with the other.

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
yes, hold the needle the entire time. Inject the fluid (about 15 ml/kg) wait til it's absorbed (can take a few hours) then find a new site until all fluids are injected.

stroker42
July 23rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks you for your advice and help. That makes since. My wife was inserting the needle, plunging the bag while she help the bag. I was holding Mona trying to massage her neck where the needle was and that was not working.

Many, many thanks...

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
no prob, and good luck. I hope it works, keep us posted.

stroker42
July 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
SO if her dose is 300ml, I should give her what I can, let it settle through the body and continue on til all 300ml are administered?

Thanks,

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
What we did with the cat was move the needle around periodically so she didn't end up with huge sacs of fluid...

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
SO if her dose is 300ml, I should give her what I can, let it settle through the body and continue on til all 300ml are administered?

Thanks,
how much does she weigh? You should only give 5-10 ml/lb in one location. Basset... she weighs around 45 lbs? if that were the case, you can administer almost all of it in one location, but you may find it easier not to. If you decide to break it up (or if she is lighter than i estimated) then give her one injection, and before you give another in a new place, look at her belly. If she has not absorbed it all yet, it will sort of "pool" in her belly, and you'll see it. When this disapears, she'll be ready for another injection.

stroker42
July 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
I so very thankful to have found this site. I kind of feel that Mona's life is in my hands right now. I will do ANYTHING to make her happy and comfortable.

Thank Y'ALL very much !!!

OntarioGreys
July 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
You may find this site helpful, it has step by step pictures and explainations

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_fluids.asp

stroker42
July 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Thank you for that diagram. It really helped us along with all the other sweet people that offered advice. As hard as it is to go through this, it is so much easier with others around that can be of support. Thanks again..