Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Being Harassed by phone company

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
We havent used our local telephone companies long distance for probably like two years now.

When I had that other job for a short time a while back we breifly switched long distance carriers - but have now switched back to a program through our credit card company (the choose whatever carrier is cheapest at the time) anyways we are happy with this this program and intend on just keeping us.

Now telus is calling us has called us 5 times in the last few days to try and get us to switch - and we say - no thank you everytime. They called one time on our house phone - hubby hung up and two seconds later they called him on his celphone. They phoned again last night - and I just said no please just leave us alone. :D

Isnt that total harrasment dont they know when to quit - do these people make huge commissions - just for the fact that they are so annoying I will never switch back to telus even if its free long distance. :evil:

jesse's mommy
July 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure about in Canada, but here when I get harassing calls I usually tell them that it's a crime to keep calling after I've requested that they stop. I tell them that I've documented each and every time they have called and if they call one more time I will be reporting them to the FCC (Federal Communication Commission). We have a thing here called the "Do Not Call" list and if you are on it, they can't call. I get very cranky about stuff like this.

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
Request that they put you on their "do not call list". Telling them "no" isn't enough, you have to be on the list. Once you've requested, and they've said ok, then you can go crazy on them if they keep calling.

glasslass
July 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Problem with the Do Not Call List is the wienie clause that they can't call UNLESS they have a relationship already established with you, which having recently been a customer of theirs, you have established. However, if you request that they don't call anymore, I would think they should have to honor it. When you call a phone company, they always have a recording saying that the call may be monitored. Switch this around. When you receive a call, ask them if they mind if you record the conversation because you've had some previous problems. Then fidget with the phone for a few seconds so they think you're doing it, and then go into Jesse's Mommy's spiel. They'll probably hang up on you though.:evil:

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
I would just get more abrupt... No more "thank yous". I'd switch to "No, for the 29th time, I never will switch ever again. Can I have your name, please?":evil: And if that didn't work, what worked once was giving the phone to my 2 year old cousin. :D "Yeah, hold on a second- I'll get my dad.":evil:

Or you could just leave it there. "Yeah, can you just hold on a second?" and just put the phone down.:evil:

Or you could just play dumb... "Switch... uhh... what do you mean? Uhh.. ok, I get that, but what do you mean?":evil:

oooo another one: "We don't have any phones here." :D

I dunno. We used to always have fun with them.:D You know all about when you work on the phone and your times are recorded and everything... :evil:

wdawson
July 23rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
file a complaint with your provincial consumer and commercial affairs office....there are laws in ontario anyway about telemarketing.

glasslass
July 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
oooo another one: "We don't have any phones here." :D

oooo my favorite!!!:evil: :D :D

jiorji
July 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
i hate telemarketers :mad:
if they call again ask to speak to a supervisor and complain that it's an invasion of privacy or something like that. You already said no, being annoying like that won't get them the sale.

Or make them discuss the plan with you for an hour and pretend you're interested then say..."oh shoot I have to go" and then hang up :evil:

There's these long distance companies that keep calling me and from my last name they ASSUME i call Romania...which i don't! So they always start off when they call me...in romaniana...."so we see here you make frequent calls to romania...well we have a good long distance plan for YOU!!"

next time they call i'll pretend I don't understand them :evil:

koalat
July 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
I kept receiving unwanted faxes on my home machine for months from a company in Montreal and I even sent them back faxes advising that I did not want to receive their junk.

When they still kept sending stuff, I got very upset and even went so far as to cc the CRTC, Competition Bureau and Strategis in an email to them asking them to immediately remove my number from their list and to no longer send me anything.

I received the following reply which has a few links that you may want to check out to help with your problems with these telemarketers. Sorry if you find this long and I don't want to hijack your thread just want to give you some information that I received for my problems.

"Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry. The Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has primary responsibility for regulation and policy pertaining to telemarketing. As a minimum, telemarketers must maintain "Do not call/fax lists" and provide customers with a fax or telephone number where a responsible person can be reached. For more information, please visit the following link: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t1022.htm

In addition, we would like to point out a useful service offered by the Canadian Marketing Association (CMA), created to address consumer concerns about the number of marketing offers they receive by mail and telephone. With its "Do Not Contact" service, consumers can register to have their names removed from mail and telephone marketing lists held by members of the CMA. Once registered, CMA members are obligated to delete these names from their marketing lists. You can find out more information or register for this service on the CMA website: http://www.the-cma.org

We hope that this information was useful.
Thank you for visiting Consumer Connection.

Regards,
Peter Murphy
Consumer Policy Analyst | Analyste des politiques en consommation
Office of Consumer Affairs | Bureau de la consommation
Industry Canada | Industrie Canada
Tel./TÚl. : (613) 952-2795
Fax : (613) 952-6927
E-mail/courriel : murphy.peter@ic.gc.ca
www.consumer.ic.gc.ca | www.consommateur.ic.gc.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
thanks guys I registered with the CMA - they did this to us about 2 years ago - kept calling and calling - and I told them not to call again - but I guess they are at it again.

If they call again today - I just gonna say just a minute and put the phone down - maybe I will let my kids talk to them.....or I will put peanut butter on the receiver and let Joey lick it. :D

Anyways I am off again in a few hours to go to Vancouver for another week of training - just in case anyone is wondering why I havent replied to this thread. :D

raingirl
July 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
As soon as I saw your title, I thought you were going to say it was Bell!

Just want to let you know that there is a good chance it probably isn't Telus calling you. There is some HUGE phone scam coming out of somewhere in the US right now (based on the phone number that pops up on my phone and other people's phones when they call) where people are calling pretending to be from Bell/Telus/Fido/Rogers/etc (any of the phone companies) trying to get you to switch services, asking for credit card info, etc.

IT IS A SCAM! beware. The people who are running it are super dumb. One day last week I got 5 calls in about 1 hour, some from a blocked number, some from the 870 number (from Texarcana, AR I think). Each time it was someone different asking me if my Bell service was ok, and whether I would like to try any new services. The reason I knew it was a scam is because I don't have a Bell phone!! I have a Rogers phone!

I have been getting the calls for about 2 months now. It may not be in the US, it just might be a "fake" number poping up on my cell, who knows. I know a bunch of other people who have been getting the same calls from the number as well, but they say they are from Telus or Rogers or Sprint or something else.

The reason I say they are dumb, is because you would think after about the 50th time they have called me and I have told them I DON"T HAVE A BELL LINE they would make a note of it, but no.

So...it may not be Telus calling. And because it isn't them, they don't have a do not call list, etc, so complaining to crtc or whatever won't help.

I would report to Telus directly what is happening and tell them you think it is a scam. Do you have call display on your home phone of cell? What is the number popping up?

raingirl
July 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
I kept receiving unwanted faxes on my home machine for months from a company in Montreal and I even sent them back faxes advising that I did not want to receive their junk.

When they still kept sending stuff, I got very upset and even went so far as to cc the CRTC, Competition Bureau and Strategis in an email to them asking them to immediately remove my number from their list and to no longer send me anything.

Just wanted to point this out, never call to ask to be taking off a fax ad list, because that just tells the company that the fax line is active, so THEY (may) stop sending them, but they will sell your number to 100's of other ad companies. Best thing to do is buy a new fax machine that has a number block set up, so you can block the number from sending faxes to you.

Same thing with spam, if you get spam, NEVER click on the link to be removed from the mailing list, because that tells the spammers that the email address is active, and they sell your email address to 1000's of other spammers.

Maxine
July 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
i hate telemarketers :mad: :
I understand your frustration, but with all due respect, i'm sure there is telemarketers that own pets and come here often :p

Prin you made me laugh tho :D

Maxine

rainbow
July 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
....or I will put peanut butter on the receiver and let Joey lick it.

ROFL.....Love it !!!! Thanks JECM, I think I'll use that tactic next time I get harrassed. :D