Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horseback riding at 2 1/2

Rottielover
July 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
One of my friends owns a horse who is 20 years old, and has been raised with children. Today for the very first time, my 2 1/2 year old daughter will be riding a real horse, not just a little pony. The horse is 16.2 hands, which is really big for her, she will be having all her little riding gear on and of course a helmet.
If I can borrow a digi cam, I will take loads of pictures.
She is so excited, my little animal lover. Harley will be joining as he has a fondness of horses.

glasslass
July 23rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
I am by no means a horse expert. So much not so that my Pop would not allow me to use stirrips or bit, saying that I could easily injure a horse's mouth. He also worried I would fall off and get my foot caught in a stirrip. So, it was bareback and a hackamore for me. I wish I had learned to ride as a child. Your daughter is a lucky little girl!

LibbyP
July 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
You just have to watch as too much riding can be bad for little ones hips, I'm sure in moderation this will be a wonderful learning experience:D

greaterdane
July 24th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I started at that age and have been riding ever since. Its such a great sport to get into. Way to go little one :)

dtbmnec
July 24th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I've ridden a horse a grand total of three times...

First time was Blaze, my dad's friend's (now ex) wife's horse. Huge horse too. Unless I'm mistaken it was a jumping horse too. So I got to ride him at like 12 or something like that. I loved riding him but posing in a picture with him while he was trying to eat the flower print shirt I had on was not so fun (not when I came up to the horse's knees...well I was a bit taller than that...but still!)

Second and third time was for gym class. I HATED that horse with a passion. It was one of those horses that just plodded along at one pace whether I wanted it to or not. It was old and decrepit and was the shortest horse they had (and the easiest to control because apparently super skinny people can't handle a larger horse). If it was for longer and I could have spent mroe time I would have been much happier.

Megan