Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop In Chocolate Bars !!! BEWARE!

PEDPA
July 22nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Well I don't know if anyone else ever reads the Yahoo Home Page news .... but as an OCD victim to chocolate ..... I almost died when I read this ...

It had a warning out and a recall about Cadbury Chocolate abrs .. apparently they found a waste pipe that had been leaking into the chocolate vats ! GROSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I went to one of our small town stores here and asked if they were sending back their cadbury bars and they said they never heard anything about it and wouldn't until they got a letter straight from the dealer . GRRRRRRRRRROSSS! lol ....... it kills me to know crap like that .....

Let's talk nasty food secrets ... did you know that by law, there is a (disturbingly large) percentage of allowed maggot findings in pizza and tomatoe sauces because they just can't prevent it ..... umm gross.

Or did anyone see the news the one time they did a study on how much fecal matter is on grocery shopping carts >?????? OMG that was SOO nasty!

I am soo hungry right now ..... hahahah think I'll stick with a carrot from my garden ...... and not think about manure fertilizer hahahaha

joeysmama
July 22nd, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hmmm.. the percentage of blood and pus in milk. The fact that when a chicken goes through the assembly line and is splayed open they sometimes find a tumor growing so they slice out the tumor and the chicken proceeds on to your dinner table.

Yeah, I've heard some very disgusting things. :yuck:

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 02:58 AM
read fastfood nation... you may never eat meat again.
I don't eat bacon because of this storey: My mom's friend was moving out of an apartment and into a house. Her land lord was extremely anal, and her appt was white, so she bleached everything... the walls, the floors, the counters, appliances.... she then unplugged all of the appliances. She came back a week later to make sure everything was ok. She opened the fridge, and it was FULL of maggots. She had accidently left an UNOPENED package of bacon in the fridge, and they had all hatched from eggs in the bacon. She brought it into a lab to get tested (she works at the university) and they tested it, and yes, the eggs were IN the bacon, not elsewhere in the fridge....:yuck:

technodoll
July 23rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
oh the insects are there all right, and we're all eating them whether we want to or not... about one to two pounds of insect parts per year :eek: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ythfacts/bugfood/bugfood2.htm

Many foods we eat have insects or insect parts in them, that we don't see. The Department of Health and Human Services has set a standard called the Food Defect Action Levels, which (to quote a publication) "are set on the basis of no hazard to health... These levels are set because it is not possible, and never has been possible, to grow in open fields, harvest and process crops that are totally free of natural defects."

"The alternative to establishing natural defect levels in some foods would be to insist on increased utilization of chemical substances to control insects, rodents and other natural contaminants. The alternative is not satisfactory because of the very real danger of exposing consumers to potential hazards from residues of these chemicals, as opposed to the aesthetically unpleasant but harmless natural and unavoidable defects."

"Defect action levels do not represent an average of the defects that occur in any of the food categories (averages are much lower). They are the limit at or above which FDA will take legal action against the product and remove it from the market."

Product Action Level
Apple butter 5 insects per 100g
Berries 4 larvae per 500g OR 10 whole insects per 500g
Ground paprika 75 insect fragments per 25g
Chocolate 80 microscopic insect fragments per 100g
Canned sweet corn 2 3mm-length larvae, cast skins or fragments
Cornmeal 1 insect per 50g
Canned mushrooms 20 maggots per 100g
Peanut butter 60 fragments per 100g (136 per lb)
Tomato paste, pizza, and other sauces 30 eggs per 100g OR 2 maggots per 100g
Wheat flour 75 insect fragmnets per 50g
Source: The Food Defect Action Levels: Current Levels for Natural or Unavoidable Defects for Human Use that Present No Health Hazard. Department of Health & Human Services 1989.

here is another, more colorful & informative article: http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/29/how_many_insect_parts_and_rodent_hairs_are_allowed _in_your_food.htm

on the other hand, insect eating is huge in many parts of the world, it's often a diet staple... and what do you think caviar is, LOL! :rolleyes:

About the Cadbury chocolate recall, man that is just disgusting - why isn't this all over the news so people would know?? :eek:

gomez
July 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
The Cadbury news IS all over the place, especially here in the UK -

What you may not know is that it's not as bad as all that - the levels of e-coli that were found in the chocolate batch were LOWER than those allowed by the law, but Cadbury decided to recall the product anyway, just as a safeguard....

Considering all the other stuff we eat in general, I would not worry too much about this...

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 10:38 AM
on the other hand, insect eating is huge in many parts of the world, it's often a diet staple... and what do you think caviar is, LOL! :rolleyes:

uhhhh fish eggs....:confused:

technodoll
July 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
RAW fish eggs, of course :D yum yum! :D

glasslass
July 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
I haven't acquired a taste for caviar; only tasted it once, both black & red. I do like the flying fish roe that's used on sushi - the way it goes pop pop pop in your mouth!:D

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
RAW fish eggs, of course :D yum yum! :D
lol, ok I thought you were trying to draw some connection between caviar and insects :p

technodoll
July 23rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
nah, just pointing out that what some find repulsive, others find it a delicacy... except for waste in chocolate, now that is just so freaking *wrong*! :yuck: but i think i would eat that over bugs though! :eek:

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
haven't you ever been to the insectarium while they have their insect dellicacies? Cricket tacos, meal worm pizzas... mmmmmmm

technodoll
July 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
puppyluv, have YOU? :eek:

seriously, i know lots of people who have tasted insects and said they weren't too bad... including my BF who ate grubs, said they tasted like creamy cheese :yuck:

kids specially seem to like the insect candy...

http://www.hotlix.com/insect_candy/insect_candy.html

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Of course!!!
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/insectarium/fr/index.php?section=24&intParent=3

technodoll
July 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
and what did you eat? what was it like? oooh so creeepy! :crazy:

LianneCatherine
July 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Um....ew!!! Haven't you guys ever heard of "ignorance is bliss?" I could have gone on without hearing that!!! :sick:

PEDPA
July 24th, 2006, 10:52 AM
OMG ok that stuff is soon nasty! But the funny thing is I am workingon a Fear Factor/ Nasty Factor as a fundraiser and the list of things we have people eating is nasty lol. Has anyone ever heard about cheese slices and its one element that keeps it from being plastic????? I'm curious about that one.

Prin
July 24th, 2006, 11:37 AM
lol People love that "one element" stuff. One element is the difference between water (H20) and formaldehyde (CH2O). Or methane (CH4) and ammonium (NH4)... They're just not the same at all.

Shaykeija
July 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Ok so dinner is now no longer an option for tonight.........:sick: