Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy

H.P.
July 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Well I got a puppy. It is only 5 weeks old :eek: , much younger than I had planned on. The pregnant black lab mom had been dumped, and the man that has been caring for them needed to get rid of the pups this week. He is going to keep the mom. We have no idea who dad was, maybe GSD, husky, rottie mix? She cried almost all the way home, but has settled in pretty well. She does not mind her collar and is getting the hang of going potty outside pretty quick. She also usually comes when I whistle. I have not picked a name yet. She is rather stinky, from sleeping in a huge pile of 12 brothers and sisters. Would it be ok to bath her this young? THe shampoo that I have is all natural and says it is ok for puppies and cats over 4 weeks, but I have never bathed one this young.

glasslass
July 22nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
If you feel you can't wait a bit, I'd get some of those wipes for bathing a dog without water. But, I'd check first to be sure if safe for a wee pup. Maybe, safer yet, just rub gently with a warm washcloth using just water without any soap.

Smiley14
July 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Congratulations on your new baby!! :) Post pics if you can! :)

jiorji
July 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwww :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

Pictures please :D

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
oo you're going to have to socialize the crud out of this dog. 5 weeks is REALLY young. They should stay with the mother till at least 8 weeks, so learn social skills, etc.

Good luck.:)

H.P.
July 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM
oo you're going to have to socialize the crud out of this dog. 5 weeks is REALLY young. They should stay with the mother till at least 8 weeks, so learn social skills, etc.

Good luck.:)

Prin, I totally agree! I tried to talk the guy into keeping them a while longer, but he was of the mind set "they are weaned, they are going away"