Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have seen a vet, skinny pup, excessive shedding

mayamalamute
July 22nd, 2006, 02:25 AM
Hi there :ca:

As a newbie to the board, just wanted some feedback.

New malamute since May. He has lost weight, not generally a big eater (typical for Mals), and although it is shedding season, he is blowing coat way more than I would expect.

He was on IAMS as that WAS a great food years ago when I had a Malamute, but recently discovered that this is no longer a positive choice for us.

Vet reccommended Eukanuba or Science Diet....research did not leave me very happy with those either. We have recently changed to Nutro Natural Choice....

Any opinions as to how this may or may not be helpful for my pup?

Thanks

Prin
July 22nd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Nutro, while still better than Iams, Euk and Science Diet, is the bottom end of the holistic foods... Honestly, I think Wolf Cub would be a better choice... It's tasty, too- I only know one dog who didn't wolf it down. It's salmon based, so good for the coat and skin and it's made for large breeds, so your guy won't have to eat a ton to get what he needs and hopefully won't grow too quickly..
Wolf Cub (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=61&code=180)

Other good foods to consider:
Wellness Super5Mix Puppy (http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixPuppy)
Canidae All Life Stages Dry (http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html)

Good luck.:)

rainbow
July 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
I agree with Prin. I have a siberian husky (1 1/2 yr) and a lab (1 yr) that I am currently in the process of switching to Solid Gold Wolf King. I was feeding Timberwolf Organics, which is also top of the line, but the price kept going up every month so decided to switch. If I could get Canidae where I live I would feed that as it is also a good food that is cheaper still and I go through a large bag every 2 1/2 weeks.

we3beagles
July 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
did your vet do any blood work? Did they check his potassium levels?

OntarioGreys
July 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Bloodwork is a good idea, a basic blood profile may reveal something out of order like low T4 values(thyroid function) or indicate some other problem. It is a good diagonostic test to start with, as it can give hints if there are problems somewhere and give the vet ideas want further diagnostic test to run if some values are out of whack

Most hypothyroid dogs gain weight, though some do lose weight, when I had adopted a senior greyhound 4 years ago she had several symptoms, some which indicated it had been ongoing for a long while with the exception of weight gain instead she was very skinny, which lead ne to ask the vet to run a thyroid blood panel. Results came back that she was indeed hypothyroid, her weight remain low but many other of her other health problems cleared up, and she had a lot more energy and was happier.

mayamalamute
July 24th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks all.

Vet did get a stool sample...said wanted to check for parasites, and do a weight re-check in a month at which time if no improvement said would then take blood.

Should I be waiting or insisting on blood work now? No real other symptoms. No vomiting or diareah, just skinny and shedding and low appitite (for dog food that is).

Thanks.

Sweetgrass
July 24th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Hello, I have a cuple of northen type dogs and we have them on a combo of innova evo, dry and holistic hound raw combo, beef, bison, lamb and chicken varieties.
We started this because we adopted an Alaskan Sled dog who had similar hair loss, and weight loss. After tests we changed his diet and our husky crosses and they have been great. Love the food, even my picky husky who never liked the same meal, 3 days in a row.

mayamalamute
July 24th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Sweetgrass... What test did they do?

How long did it take to turn them around?

Any other info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

we3beagles
July 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I would insist on bloodwork now. In the case of my beagle the vet left it a little too late to test for addisons. He refused to eat eventually and we had to force feed him. In the end it wasn't enough. I would want to know sooner rather than later. If it is nothing great. If it is something it is better to catch it early.