Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

looking for right breed

stageboss
July 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Hi, Stageboss here looking for a good breed for my family with kids and a cat.
All suggestions welcome! Small breed, grooming well low maintance prefered.
How about a Pom or Papillon. How are they. Easy to train?:usa:

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM
Both breeds require grooming. The pom will need to be brushed out quite a bit, daily preferred. The Papillion will also need to be brushed often. Both dogs also shed, especially the pom. Neither are really low matience in my opinion.

Never buy a dog based on looks alone. Make sure you look into everything about your breed of choice. Also knowing more about your work/family life and how the dog will fit in, will also help everyone suggest a breed for yourself and family.

LavenderRott
July 21st, 2006, 09:54 PM
I have a pom and my mom bred poms when I was young. Don't bother looking at them. They don't handle young children well and they need grooming at least weekly.

Honestly, with two young children and a cat - and assuming that you don't have much dog experience (most dog people have a favorite breed and don't ask for breed advice :D )- i would go to the local shelter and look for a smallish, terrier mix. Not a puppy, a young adult would probably be better.

Tiny dogs like poms, papillions, pekes, chihuahuas, maltese, lhasa apso's and the like can be intimidated by inexperienced 6 year old children and can easily get nippy. Also, most of the smaller breeds can be a bit more difficult to housebreak.

If you have your heart set on a puppy - go to a dog show. Find something that you like the look of, talk to a handler or two, do your homework online. Don't pick a breeder from a website! Don't buy a puppy from a petstore.

If your intention is to get a puppy to be a companion to your children for a long time, please, make sure to do your homework. The better you do that, the better chance of getting a healthy, sound companion for your children.

kaytris
July 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
HOw old are your kids? Many toy dog breeders will not sell puppies to families with children under a certain age for safety reasons.. accidents happen and wee baby toy puppies are fairly fragile.

Some sturdy small dogs are:

any number of terriers - my favourites are border terriers and westies, friendly, low maintenance, fairly trainable, and not 'over the top' like some terriers. Jack Russels are another option, but they MUST be kept physically and mentally exercised.

pugs

boston terriers

doxies

basset hounds and PBGV's (fairly heavy in weight, but short and sturdy - not the world's most obedient breed, but friendly and easy going.)

miniature poodles

bichon frise

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 10:32 PM
A min-pin would require almost no grooming and has a great temperment. I helped find a forever home for one a year & 1/2 ago that a co-worker found. The owner is a primary school teacher that takes him with her to school. He sleeps in his carrier and the kids get to walk him at recess and lunch as a reward for good behavior - theirs, not his!:D He is high energy and smart as the dickens. He seems sturdier-built than some of the small breeds - better for young kids.

Prin
July 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
I don't know about a min pin... They can be dominant and very barky...

You don't want a bigger dog? They tend to go better with kids...

technodoll
July 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
these are not tooooo bad:

helps you choose the right dog for you depending on a series of lifestyle questions: http://www.petnet.com.au/dogselectapet.html

here is a page with a ton of links of such "tests": http://www.dogpage.us/choosing-a-dog.html

good luck! :thumbs up

gomez
July 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Norfolk Terriers are very sturdy, friendly and playful, good with kids, and easy to train - also the grooming is minimal, a brushing 1-2 times a week and hand stripping every 4 months, no haircuts for these guys, please, it ruins their coats! They don't shed very much and they can play and walk for hours -

Take a look here:
http://www.norfolkterrierclub.co.uk

If you want anymore info, let me know...

LibbyP
July 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
When we were looking to add a 'new' dog to the family with small children, we had 2 choices: #1 -small but not breakable - terriers, pugs, bostons, french bulldogs, beagle. I went to dog shows found acouple dogs that I was interested in went home and did alot of research, like already stated alot of rescue groups/breeders will not adopt fragile small breeds to families with small children. #2 -xlrg - great danes, saints,mastiffs, We also found the same problem there with having small children, I filled out the paper work anyways, coming from animal backgrounds thought it wouldn't hurt and my children will grow.... waited I only heard back positive words from F.B. & E.M. and the choice was made, I think the best bet for you is to go to dog shows and do alot of research, when you find the breed that is right for you you'll know it, have you ever thought of a beagle? Sturdy little dog, non-breakable, little grooming etc... good luck in your search

LavenderRott
July 22nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Whatever breed you decide on, make sure that your breeder will tell you both the good and bad of owning that breed. Because honestly, if one breed was perfect then we wouldn't have so many different breeds.

Beware of breeders telling you that their breed doesn't shed. Somebody once told my mom that Boston Terriers don't shed but when we went to look at their dogs, all of the furniture was covered in sheets that were covered in little black hairs! :eek:

Beagles are very nice dogs. They tend to be very sunny. They are smaller and if children have basic dog manners, then they are usually great with children. They have a short coat so actual grooming is minimal but they do shed so vacuuming the floor is a must do. (It has been my experience that short haired dogs "shed" more while long haired dogs need more brushing so they seem to shed less.) They are hunting dogs so they are ruled by their nose and a fenced yard or a good leash is a must. And they bark.

LibbyP
July 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Ya LavenderRott, I was told the same thing about Frenchies - WOW was I surprised:eek: , and ask about health problems pertaining to the breed

angie79
July 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
In my opinion for any one who likes small dogs (mine is over grown lol) Miniture Schnauzers are the way to go. They have lots of love to give they like to play, (they are a bit mouthy) but they are great companions with tons of personallity, but do require a shave down every 2 months or so and a good brushing but its well worth it!

LavenderRott
July 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Ya LavenderRott, I was told the same thing about Frenchies - WOW was I surprised:eek: , and ask about health problems pertaining to the breed

Those short haired dogs - there isn't a long undercoat to hold in the dead hairs so they just fall out onto your carpet!

You need to brush those long haired dogs, but that undercoat holds most of the dead hair so it isn't falling out onto your carpet as fast.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I discovered that my rottweiler shed worse then my rough coated collie! :eek: