Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Large Breed Owners

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM
I looked through the forum and can't seem to find a place for my rant so I decide to stake my own claim (in dog terms pee on a post).

I have a Doberman and he does play with a bark. I took him to training school and the trainer told me that most dobermans are like that the way to keep that in tab is to make sure the bark doesn't turn into a bite. So my dog went to training school for two years and is at a point where I can make him stand down on command. I also never have him off leash at leashed park but I do bring him to dog beach where he can run free with other dogs that he choose to play with (I often have to carry my 80 pound dog to the car cause he would play to a point of no return and completely drained and won't be able to make that hike back to the parking lot).

So I was walking my dog one day at a park near by, the same one he has been to since he is a puppy. He used to socialize with other dogs but as he got older he seem to be more concern with his walk rather than his surroundings. I am not sayiing he is a saint if dogs are on my front lawn he will bark at them. A dog owner that had his puppy off leash yells at me from afar and ask if my dog is aggressive. I told him no but he does have a bark and that if a dog claws at his neck he would growl with and show his teeth. The puppy owner puts the leash back on his dog and actually walks over, so i let them sniff each other and things look fine for a bit until all of a sudden they both started to bark at each other.

The dog owner then yells at me saying that big dogs like mine don't belong in the city (I live in Richmond and my neighbourhood is very sub-burb like with big lawns and a quiet park). And that all "aggressive dogs" should be locked up and continue to harrass me in front of all my neighbours and offend them at the same time because there were another golden nearby. I can't believe I actually calmly explained to him that it wasn't an aggressive gesture since my dog stopped bark on command and is currently sitting at my left ready for the heal command so he'd start his walk again while his tiny dog continues to tug at the leash and barks and growls at my dog.

So my thing is, just cause a dog is small doesn't mean you are allowed to have it off leash at a leashed park. And just cause a bigger dog barked it doesn't make it an "aggressive bark" as supposed to a puppy who is doing the exact same thing (with lunges and hyperactivity). Sad to say the owner was actually more afraid of my dog than his puppy and he continued to spew venomus slurs at the park (which was attached to an elementry school that was still in session).

I feel so hurt and down. My dog is a doberman yes, but that doesn't mean he deserve to be "locked up" If he bit someone yes he should be punished but when I have him on leash and that I can stop his outbursts if I ever have to (once we saw a coyote I had to drag him back away all the way home so that he wont' attract the thing over to us). I felt like someone had hurled racial slurs at me.

So to all dog owners out there, follow the rules and stop being ignorant to other breeds, as dog owners we should know dogs well enough to tell what they are actually doing and how they communicate with each other.

If there are people out that there feels offended that dogs that are like mine is out there on the streets and that they deserve a chance at family life then :sorry: I am not going to stop being a large breed owner because with the right training dogs can live in harmony regardless of their size. :ca:

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM
That sucks. We all have met one of those, I think... Some people think that just because their dog is small, it doesn't have to be as trained because people aren't as threatened by it or afraid of it. :rolleyes:

All the dobies I have met have been sweet, gentle doggies. That person obviously doesn't know anything about anything, but unfortunately, they're the "squeaky wheels" that cause laws like BSL. :sad:

Dobies probably fit into a city setting more than Jack Russels do- it has nothing to do with size. :rolleyes:

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Totally understand your rant. I meet people like that on a weekly sometimes daily basis. I have 2 days, one being very large and the other is a pup. I have had people pack up and leave the dog park in fear of my dog hurting theirs. My big guy dosent even bark so it has become commical to see how scared people are. If anything, the little dogs would scare him and he would run away. I used to always say "he lives with chihuahuas its ok" but I have given up.

I myself loooove dobermans. My inlaws have a wonderful male. They babysit my chihuahuas all the time. The chihuahuas actually pick on the dobe, and he just ignores them.

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the support. I was so angry this morning but I had to keep my cool. I am just dreading seeing him again when I walk the dog. I know I have to ignore him but if he decides to pick a fight again I don't know what to do with myself. I am so much younger than him (he looks to be a retired man at my grandpa's age) I don't want to disrespect him but how can you stand down when he keeps on verbally attacking your dog which is a member of your family?

I lived in my neighbourhood all my life and there are a ton of neighbours that watched my dobbie grow up. They call him the gentle giant because he is super human friendly. My neighbours are so good that they would walk him when I am away for a day or two and they would feed him for me.

yeah so I don't know what to do with this new dog owning neighbour who obviously know nothing about dogs or rules (i.e. leash please if you can't call back your dog cause when i walk to the bus I have seen teh same dog running onto the streets). Should I change my route?

Yeah GreaterDane, don't you just feel so tired explaining yourself when you really shouldn't have to. Great Danes are gorgeous. My neighbour has one (although the weather is really getting to the poor fella) and he plays with my dog all the time in a slow kind of manner they just kind of lounge together under the shades. But people do pack up when they see that there are two "aggressive dogs" around. Clearly the damage they can do sitting under the tree on leash with their owners... The funniest thing is that one yappy small dog actually bite a hole in my dog's nose when they were sniffing each other and the owner actually had the balls to say my dog must have scared it and brought it onto himself. My dog didn't even fight back and he was bleeding all over (soft part of his nose it's like he had his nose pierced).

babyrocky1
July 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM
Im sure youll find lots of empathy on this site Lexy11. Many of us are either large breed owners or medium breed "pit bull' owners! In Ontario one experiences interactions like you describe almost daily. The small dog owners here know there stuff so Im sure you wouldnt catch any of them behaving this way.
There seems to be an atmosphere of "dog hysteria" going around the country and if were not careful we will end up with dog breed bans of all sorts! Thats were these predudices undoubtably lead..at least thats how it starts.

Im sorry for your bad day and your very welcome to rant here anytime...we all do from time to time!:)

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
You might want to call animal control or whatever and tell them to monitor the park because you've seen people walking their dogs without a leash... It's mean, but rules are rules.:evil:

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
If that's the case then it's clear that once there are bans in place in Ontario it will spread to other provinces. Do you know if there are anything/clubs/petitions to sign to supprt education and acceptance?

A police dog died recently in the line of duty here, I read in the paper that people are actually pissed off that the dog got a blurb at the Vancouver Sun saying that dogs like that are just tools, If my hammer broke I am not gonig to cry about it. This new wave of unacceptable thoughtless spews have certainly angered a majority of dog owner and non dog owners but there are people out there that continue to see things that way.

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah, there's definitely a backlash. People who see pets as "things" are getting louder as more and more people see them as furry kids and others still choose to have pets instead of skinbabies completely.

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:04 PM
Yeah GreaterDane, don't you just feel so tired explaining yourself when you really shouldn't have to. Great Danes are gorgeous. My neighbour has one (although the weather is really getting to the poor fella) and he plays with my dog all the time in a slow kind of manner they just kind of lounge together under the shades. But people do pack up when they see that there are two "aggressive dogs" around. Clearly the damage they can do sitting under the tree on leash with their owners... The funniest thing is that one yappy small dog actually bite a hole in my dog's nose when they were sniffing each other and the owner actually had the balls to say my dog must have scared it and brought it onto himself. My dog didn't even fight back and he was bleeding all over (soft part of his nose it's like he had his nose pierced).

Oh I am so tired of explaining myself and my oldest dane is still under 2 years. I used to feel obligated to talk to everyone and stop etc, but not so much anymore. Some of the comments i hear make me sick though. Like when they say Atticus is aggresive and thats why they can't pet him, or those are mean dogs etc. The other one that bothers me that shouldnt is, when people walk up to me they ask if he bites. I feel like saying "would I have him in a crowded place with lots of kids and other dogs if he did bite". I realize people are just asking, but I have heard it soooo many times. Then when I say no, great danes are a very gentle breed, they look at me in a state of shock.

Your poor dobie and his nose :( My big guy has scars on his ears from the chis taking a quick nip. Big guys/girls are just so misunderstood.

Any pictures of your dobie? I just love to look at them :)

Puppyluv
July 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about the cr@ppy attitude that you met today. :(
My dog is only 37 lbs and I still face such attitides. People look at me and ask me how can I dane to have such a large dog, while they pick up their little 7 lb-ers (nothing against the 7 lb-ers, just these specific owners I encounter) and coo at them,and hiss at my dog (yes I've actually had people hiss at her).
My parents' dog is a little larger, around 50 lbs, and when I used to live at home and walk her, there was this one day where a little white fluffy latched on to her neck and would not let go, I was trying to catch them to get the dog off, but my dog kept running in circles. The other owner just stood their screaming about how my dog was going to kill hers... in the end, her dog was fine, and mine/my parents' needed stitches :(
It's really unfortunate how many people have misconceptions about larger dogs, and how many have poorly trained small ones.
Fortunately, on this board, the misconceptions are rare, and quickly educated, and the small dogs (and the big ones too) are all well trained :D

babyrocky1
July 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM
There are loads but the first that comes to my mind are any of the Banned Aid groups but since you dont have one of the Banned breeds the Dog Legislation of Canada (DLCC)would be a group you may want to check out. The Banned Aid groups came together to hire Clayton Ruby to challenge the ban under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and yes many people think that the future of BSL will be determined by this court case.:fingerscr :ca: :pawprint:

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Glad you asked here is what he looks like... he doesn't have cropped ears.

Puppyluv
July 21st, 2006, 08:12 PM
heart melting RIGHT NOW!!!
He's absolutely gorgeous Lexy!!!

kaytris
July 21st, 2006, 08:13 PM
I always liked the Ann Landers' method of dealing with stupid comments... "Thank you for your opinion" said smiling.. if they continue, repeat. Repeat, repeat. don't engage, don't argue - simply "Thank you for your opinion".

Kill em with kindness.. or at least benign neglect. :evil:

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Oh he is gorgeous!!!!

And I love the kill them with kindness. I think I am going to use the thank you for your opinion next time we are out.

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
kaytris that is a wonderful line to use! thanks for the advice I will definintely try it.

Puppyluv, greaterdane thanks for that comment he is my favorite guy what can I say. His puppy pics are cuter but I don't have those in digital format. That's his watching me do my homework waiting for his walk look. But ya know what they say: Aggressive dog aggressive dog

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM
(nothing against the 7 lb-ers, just these specific owners I encounter) and coo at them,and hiss at my dog (yes I've actually had people hiss at her).Oh, just wait! In a week, I'm doggy sitting a 4.5lb min pin. :eek: We went to the fireworks with her last week and my god the reactions are different. People just didn't leave us alone. So many never asked if she was friendly, and just crouched and started petting her right away. And soooo many girls told their men they wanted one. :yuck: I love this little doggy but she comes from a very cleverly disguised, disgusting bad breeder and in no way does the owner of the dog ever advertise where or how she got the dog. She wouldn't get another one this size and is somewhat disappointed at how small she ended up (even if that is the style these days).

When I walk Jemma and Boo, most people comment from a distance and are very apprehensive and some even cross the street.

But what I realized walking this little dog after having had big dogs all my life, is that you get used to a bubble. You might think that you get a lot of attention walking big dogs, but you still have a fairly decent bubble around you that feels very safe compared to walking a little one and EVERYBODY asking questions and approaching you...

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Oh, he is adorable! So much sweetness in his face. :love: (Love the uncropped ears, btw)

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
But what I realized walking this little dog after having had big dogs all my life, is that you get used to a bubble. You might think that you get a lot of attention walking big dogs, but you still have a fairly decent bubble around you that feels very safe compared to walking a little one and EVERYBODY asking questions and approaching you...

Can I please borrow your bubble?? If I walk the danes I get mobbed, if I walk the chis..I get mobbed. The only way I can walk in peace is with Osiris or walking at 2am.

Writing4Fun
July 21st, 2006, 08:19 PM
:love: OMG he's BEAUTIFUL! I love a dobie with natural ears! :love:

LibbyP
July 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM
RANT AWAY Trust me, there are alot of caring and compassionate members on this board like babyrocky1 stated. :sorry: your day started off with such a smack in the face, the older man is very ignorant and belligerent and his behavior is not acceptable, did you say his dog was a puppy? Does he(the owner) not feel a need to take it to obedience? My big girl is a big chicken (actually if people knew she'd plow me down in a heartbeat trying to get away from a stranger - they'd LOL:o ) people have crossed the street when we are out walking saying all types of things under their breath but loud enough to hear about how she is dangerous, I have never seen her teeth (unless I physically lift her gums) the whole time I have owned her, she takes treats from toddlers etc... BUT she does growl at puppies. Puppies need to learn respect, she does not bite or bark she just warns them. I am afraid of what 'breeds' will be next to ban. :grouphug:

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
Hahah maybe the bubble isnt' the way to go. I say whoever wins the next big jackpot of 54 million we should just own an island where dogs can roam free and have a safe haven one without discrimination.

Yeah some puppies just don't know the limit where the big dogs can take. My dog after the nose thing and scratch that he endured as well he is very sensitive around his head and neck. I personally think that warning barks are a good thing so you know what they are thinking it's the quiet ones that will rip your arm off.

I usually offer my hand before petting to let the dog sniff and then i pet is that common practice? Or should I still ask the owner out of respect?

Funny story about kids and cookies. I was out with my aunt and her baby once and Rocky was still a pup so about 40 pounds he actually stole my cousin's baby cookie right out of his hand. My baby cousin was so confused that he started to cry and Rocky actually spat out the cookie back on the baby table and had his ears pulled back totally know that he did something wrong. It was the cutest moment (and bad since my aunt was laughing so hard that she gave him the cookie so she re-enforced a bad behavior) but cute nonetheless.

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
Can I please borrow your bubble?? If I walk the danes I get mobbed, if I walk the chis..I get mobbed. The only way I can walk in peace is with Osiris or walking at 2am.
lol you need BLACK dogs. :D Danes do get attention... Danes and greyhounds... But black doggies or even white doggies are SCARY!!:D

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:30 PM
lol you need BLACK dogs. :D Danes do get attention... Danes and greyhounds... But black doggies or even white doggies are SCARY!!:D

Ok then I am getting a can of paint and painting them black and I'll teach Atticus to slouch so hes not so tall lol.

My two chis are black...people still attack them..I will have to get them some padding and high heels to make them bigger. The chihuahuas are the ones I am worried about, especially sable, she bites little children. But people assume they are friendly because they are all under 5lbs Vixen only being 3lbs. Argh..I should just stay indoors lol.

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:32 PM
Just put muzzles on them... That scares people away :sad: (unless their really messed, in which case, survival of the fittest applies).

PetFriendly
July 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
So to all dog owners out there, follow the rules and stop being ignorant to other breeds, as dog owners we should know dogs well enough to tell what they are actually doing and how they communicate with each other.

If there are people out that there feels offended that dogs that are like mine is out there on the streets and that they deserve a chance at family life then :sorry: I am not going to stop being a large breed owner because with the right training dogs can live in harmony regardless of their size. :ca:

Hi There

Just wanted to let you know that my 15 lbs dog and I are putting as much effort into obedience than I would had he been a 75 lbs dog. I'm also more comfortable with him being around larger dogs than small ones.

I'm sure your dog's a doll and I would more than happily let it bark and play with Charley any day!

PetFriendly
July 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
The chihuahuas are the ones I am worried about, especially sable, she bites little children. But people assume they are friendly because they are all under 5lbs Vixen only being 3lbs. Argh..I should just stay indoors lol.

What is with that. I'm not sure how many times I've tried to explain to folks at work (all of which are rather well educated, scholastically that is) that they are more likely to get bit by a 10 lbs little dog, than a much larger dog. And picking up a little dog is a sure way of getting it to bite you... I mean how would you like to be lifted up by something 15 times larger than you... In the animal world, that usually means you're dinner!

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Just wanted to let you know that my 15 lbs dog and I are putting as much effort into obedience than I would had he been a 75 lbs dog. I'm also more comfortable with him being around larger dogs than small onesYey!!! I have to add the 4.5 lb doggy I'm doggy sitting had private lessons for months too. There are some responsible little doggy owners out there too, they're just not as noticeable...

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
What is with that. I'm not sure how many times I've tried to explain to folks at work (all of which are rather well educated, scholastically that is) that they are more likely to get bit by a 10 lbs little dog, than a much larger dog. And picking up a little dog is a sure way of getting it to bite you... I mean how would you like to be lifted up by something 15 times larger than you... In the animal world, that usually means you're dinner!

Ahh I agree! The other thing I see is people picking up and clutching their little dogs when I walk by with the danes. If my danes were to attack, they would now get the owner in the face as well as the dog. It bothers me to no end.

PetFriendly
July 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
There are some responsible little doggy owners out there too, they're just not as noticeable...

We aren't noticed because the dog isn't being carried or yapping! :)

PetFriendly
July 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Ahh I agree! The other thing I see is people picking up and clutching their little dogs when I walk by with the danes. If my danes were to attack, they would now get the owner in the face as well as the dog. It bothers me to no end.

And it actually offends me (and upsets Charley) if he's prevented from meeting larger dogs who's owner have been told by others to keep them away from the small ones

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 09:12 PM
I am so much younger than him (he looks to be a retired man at my grandpa's age) I don't want to disrespect him but how can you stand down when he keeps on verbally attacking your dog which is a member of your family?

Being older myself, and remembering my Pop after he had his stroke, I was wondering if this was the case while I was reading your initial post. Lexy, you have to understand this isn't really a dog issue. It's more a sad problem of ageing that happens to some people. My Pop was a total dog person all his life. In fact, his dogs provided his main source of joy the last years of his life. But he had dementia. If something hit him wrong, he would be horrible. An example: He and my Mom went to BurgerKing for lunch. It was horribly hot and my Mom was headed toward a shady parking spot when another car beat her to it and parked between 2 spots in the shade. My parents had to park in the sun. My Pop got so upset. He only ate half of his hamburger and then told Mom he was going to the car. She hurriedly cleaned their table and went after him only to discover him smearing the remains of his burger all over the windshield of the offending car. Mom hustled him into the car and took off before the car owner came out to confront them. The point I'm making here is that there may have been more going on than you realize. If he had a small dog, a large dog nearby might have triggered a reaction in him. You don't know what his day may have involved earlier. Please don't let it spoil your day. Tomorrow he may not even remember you.

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Sorry PetFriendly I didn't mean to make it sound like I am generalizing ALL owners. There are large breed owners that train their dog to hurt so that's no good either.

Rocky (my dobbie) was in a small dog/medium dog when he was a puppy due to his siize so there were a ton of little dog owners that take their dog to class. When he grew a bit and the trainer suggest going to the older bigger dog class the other owners actually asked for him to stay so that their dog can familiarize themselves with bigger ones and know how to behave. However since they grew up together Rocky never really seemed big to them since they continued to run between rocky's legs and play chase with him, it's so cute to see a giant doberman being chased by beagles. Rocky would slow down for them to catch up.

However the real world is nothing like the comfort of a class field.

technodoll
July 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
this is so funny... seeing as dobies are medium-sized dogs (by the breed standard, no less!) yet are seen as being BIG dogs. I guess it's all relative... must not be many mastiffs, great pyrenees or danes in your neighborhood :D and i feel your pain. i used to own two black beauties and people either crossed the street to come pet them, or cross the street to run away from them screaming in fear :mad: to me, dobes are one of the least threatening dogs out there, they're lambs! well the well-bred and well-socialised ones, anyways...

with time, you learn to build a sheild for the verbal diarrhea thrown your way, i mean who has time and energy to argue with morons who will never "get it" or change their minds, anyways? it's in their attitude... if you see a window of opportunity to educate through example, then go for it! if not... walk away and get a cold beer, come rant here and you'll feel all better :D

Lexy11
July 21st, 2006, 11:07 PM
Tomorrow he may not even remember you.

Yeah I am hoping that. I feel that something is wrong since most people don't say that kind of thing after an incident. Everyone was shocked and I was thinking maybe this older fellow had an episode of something. I kinda cooled down after a while, Vancouver had a slightly hotter day (30 degree) so maybe he was just on edge.

Thanks for the support on this forum though.

Yeah I know dobermans aren't even the biggest breed! Rocky isn't even on the large end of dobermans. The only thing is that he has a giant chest. I whever we try to get him a fleece for the few days of snow we get it would either be way too long so that his chest would fit or way too tighter (chest size is 33''). Do you guys know where i can shop for stuff for larger dogs (that's not petcetera or tisol)

technodoll
July 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM
a few of my favorite online shopping sites for dog stuff: ebay, http://www.petsupplyhouse.com/index.htm and http://www.morrco.com/ (in no particular order) :)

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM
walk away and get a cold bearI disagree. Cold bears are more likely to attack than hot ones. Definitely get a hot bear. The hotter the better (they move slower).

:clown:

technodoll
July 21st, 2006, 11:44 PM
ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! OMG!! what was i thinking!! ere, now that i have a cold vodka smoothie in my hands... let me go edit that!!

LOL :crazy:

mastifflover
July 21st, 2006, 11:48 PM
Totally understand your rant. I meet people like that on a weekly sometimes daily basis. I have 2 days, one being very large and the other is a pup. I have had people pack up and leave the dog park in fear of my dog hurting theirs. My big guy dosent even bark so it has become commical to see how scared people are. If anything, the little dogs would scare him and he would run away. I used to always say "he lives with chihuahuas its ok" but I have given up.

Been there, done that. I have one of these big vicious sucks. My dog is more scared of small dogs than I care to admit but he is a total suck. I have been told my dog should be leashed at the off leash park must be because he looks so intimidating standing beside me drooling. For him to go after a dog would require physical excertion that ain't going to happen. He saves his energy for his doggy pals that like to run and dive in puddles and roll in mud. I have stopped defending my dog and if they do not like him being there they can leave. But I find it funny because it is usually the owners that are scared not their dogs. Do maybe they are the problem

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 11:49 PM
ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa! OMG!! what was i thinking!! ere, now that i have a cold vodka smoothie in my hands... let me go edit that!!

LOL :crazy:
It's not your fault. I'm a sucka for the literal jokes.:o

technodoll
July 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
It's not your fault. I'm a sucka for the literal jokes

oh but it was a GOOD one! :highfive:

Lexy11
July 22nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
yeah mastifflover i find that it's the owners that are scared more than the dogs. I mean dogs have been handling themselves and got along fine. I think they can do it without us being overprotective parents.

siberian3
July 22nd, 2006, 02:08 AM
Lexy - that person sounds like a total idiot and you shouldn't let what they said about your dog get you down because they clearly don't know what they are talking about!

rainbow
July 22nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Rocky is certainly one handsome boy and I love that his ears were left natural. Lexy, you are absolutely right to feel the way you do.

And, Kaytris, thanks for posting your comment:

I always liked the Ann Landers' method of dealing with stupid comments... "Thank you for your opinion" said smiling.. if they continue, repeat. Repeat, repeat. don't engage, don't argue - simply "Thank you for your opinion".

I'll definitely remember that one. I'm sure it will come in handy some time. :D

LM1313
July 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM
What a beautiful dog! I love the uncropped ears, so pretty! (Errr . . . handsome? :D ) Some people just don't understand that large dogs are DOGS, not monsters. That they aren't going to spring at your throat and try to kill you just because they aren't a miniature poodle or cocker spaniel.

My brother-in-law and sister were always afraid of my dog in a passive sort of way even though they KNEW she was friendly and so their kids picked up that fear too . . . They stayed over at my parents' house for two weeks once while I was still living at home and acted like Ebony was the Big Bad Wolf come to gobble them up.

They did grow out of it as they got older and got to know her, though. Their grandparents on the other side of the family tree had a pack of untrained, vicious chihuahuas who would attack your feet and snarl, and one day while the youngest kid was visiting their house he pointedly announced, "Eb'ny is a good dog. Eb'ny LIKES me."

RaYne
July 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I get the same rude comments.. you get used to them after awhile. I just ignore them now, unless I'm pms-ing. LOL

People also cross the street when they see us coming. It probably doesn't help that Bubba drools like crazy on walks and he pulls. I can't for the life of me teach that boy heel. So he probably doesn't create a 'friendly' picture. If I'm out with Lola we get mauled.. but she's still small-ish and 'cute'.

Another thing I noticed the adults, mainly men seem to associate Saint Bernards with "Cujo" While the kids all holler "Beethoven" LOL

mastifflover
July 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Rayne try a harness for Bubba. I had a rescue Bloodhound that had never been on a leash and he could pull me down the street any collars that I tried did nothing he just kept pulling. I spoke with a trainer and he suggest I try a lupi harness it worked like a charm and after a while of using it I went back to a collar and he walked perfectly. I understand what you are saying about the drooling Bud is a champion drooler. He can fling slingers clear across the street. Thank godness for Mr Clean Erasers

RaYne
July 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
mastifflover, I've tried a couple different harnesses. I can't recall the names of them though. He just attempted to chew them off instead of walk. I've also tried on a GL and he didn't like it either..he pauses while walking trying to remove it.. but he just may have to learn to like it. He's dislocated my shoulder once when he decided to take off and go say hi to someone. :o As it is right now I can't even take him into the vet without my hubby there to hang on the leash and my vet won't give me any heartworm meds for him until I bring him in for blood tests first. Problem is my hubby works all week and saturday.

The trainer I took him to couldn't teach him to heel either with distractions.. so I know it's not just me. LOL Since he is so easily distracted no amount of cookies or even bologna regains his focus. Meanwhile on our property or in the house he heels perfectly, as soon as we step out of the truck at the vet's office where there are all sorts of distractions he turns into a totally different dog. Frustrates the crap out of me.. LOL Gentle leader here I come. :thumbs up

Sorry I went slightly off topic. :o

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I get the same rude comments.. you get used to them after awhile. I just ignore them now, unless I'm pms-ing. LOL
lol that's the bigger danger- the large-breed owner's pms.:D

Try the newtrix before the gentle leader... It's less likely to crack the vertebrae...:o

RaYne
July 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Funny you mentioned the newtrix Prin. I was just looking at their website. :D The GIGA is $66 with shipping.. a little expensive but hey if it keeps my shoulders in their sockets I'm all for it. ;)

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Giga? :confused:

RaYne
July 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Giga is the size.. (GIGA 60-75 kg (130-160 lb)

http://newtrix.ca/docs/ourproducts03.php

Prin
July 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Oh- I'd only seen S,M,L before... Funny size names. The doggy I'm sitting now is a nano.:D

mastifflover
July 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Well good luck I hope it works for Bubba. Keep us posted

Stewart
July 28th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I undersand your upset and get strange looks at times when walking my large female GSD off leash :eek: She is really obediant and obeys my commands at all times so I just let comments go over my head nowadays. But a while back I spoke to our local dog warden and asked what breed do you get the most trouble with :confused: Well wait for it .................................................. ... The reply was Yorkshire Terriers Boy does that make me smile ! :) :) :)

RaYne
July 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Well good luck I hope it works for Bubba. Keep us posted

Thanks, I will. :) I haven't ordered it yet though.. waiting to see how much cash we have left after paying all our bills. :(

I can see people still avoiding him though because it looks muzzle-ish. As long as I can ignore those comments we will be fine. Just hope I'm not pms-ing then. LOL

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
RaYne, order it from the store here at pets.ca....that's where I got mine and it's only $44.95 including shipping. :thumbs up

RaYne
July 29th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Rainbow I checked the store and the size only goes up to the Mega. Bubba is over 130 pounds so I need the Giga. :(

jesse's mommy
July 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Why don't you pm Marko and ask him if a Giga is available?

Prin
July 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Marko is usually pretty accommodating.:)

rainbow
July 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I bet Marko would get one in for you. :thumbs up