Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog food costs..

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM
I've been thinking about the whole "holistic is cheaper" overall thing, and after having a minor freakout about my visa bill and how in one month there are 3 bags of dog food: one on June 7th, one on the 22nd and one on the 12th of July. I thought, how- if one bag lasts 3 weeks, are there 3 bags on one bill?! lol (panic!) But I figure it's just the way I bought them. I bought one bag late, the other on time and the last early... (I know I bought the last early....)

But in 2004 I made a spreadsheet (NERD ALERT!) for my cousin who was thinking of getting a dog. I compiled 2 years of costs for both of my dogs, for food, vet bills, toys, etc... So I went back and did another one today for this year...

So, on Eukanuba (:yuck: ) at $67/40lb bag (including taxes) which lasted 3 weeks back then, food was $1,176.07 per year for the two of them.

Vet bills totalled $1070 for the two of them in one year too.

The total spent on both food and vet bills was $2246.07, or $6.15 a day.

On Solid Gold, say I average it out to 2.5 weeks/bag, then that's 20.8 bags a year at $77 (including tax) for a food total of $1601.60.

Vet bills, however are $626.50 (considering this is a vaccination year too).

The total for July 2005 to July 2006 is $2,228.10, or $6.10 a day.

Not a huge difference between the two, right?

But when you consider that in 2004, Jemma had her ears flushed by the vet 5 times (I only get them flushed when they are just too infected for me to fix myself) and got 3 cortisone shots for allergies and Boo went to the vet 4 times for antibiotic and antivomiting stuff shot into his belly (two shots each time), I would much rather have spent that money on the dog food rather than on fixing my doggies' ailments. This year, we've had Jemma's rash thing (from the duck), and Boo's anal gland thing (from too much flax) and that's it (as far as I remember) with the usual things- the heartgard, the estrogen pills etc all included in both vet calculations.

No more all night vomiting for Boo. No more unmanageable ear infections for Jemma. :thumbs up

Just thought I'd share it all.:o

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM
Oh, btw, the Euk and SG bags are different sizes too- Euk was 40-44lbs (they kept switching the sizes but not the price :rolleyes: ) and SG is 33lbs....

chico2
July 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Prin,I was also one day trying to figure out how much we spend on animals and it was astounding,we buy:
Cat-food:Solid Gold,CSFCLS+2 cans each day+treats+Cat-litter..(not food:D )
Bailey treats:Solid Gold dry food.
Birdseeds,delux with peanuts,Nigerseeds for finches.
20lb bags of dry corn-on-the cob for the squirrels+peanuts in the shell.
+vet-bills for 3 cats,shots,teeth-cleaning,Advantage etc.....
I don't even want to thing of how much we spend,but it's worth every penny:thumbs up

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
:thumbs up Exactly. But like I said, I'd rather spend it making my doggies healthy than treating them when they're sick.

glasslass
July 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
:thumbs up Exactly. But like I said, I'd rather spend it making my doggies healthy than treating them when they're sick.

AMEN!!!! And. . . . . . Happy Dogs!!!

rainbow
July 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbs up

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM
Eeek I dont even want to think about what we spend on dog food. Its all worth it though, and I even found a great place to get my food alot cheaper. I just go over the border and its about $20 off. Like the big bag of wolfking was only $36.99, my evo big bag is $38 and my just a wee bit is $36.99. Luckily the only vet bill besides vaccines this year was Osiris getting attacked and needing stiches. I figure, the love they give us is worth a heck of alot more then the amount I spend on them.

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, but imagine the vet bills for a dane on Ol' Roy? My god you'd have to feed him like 10 cups a day.:eek:

Note to self: buy home closer to border...

greaterdane
July 21st, 2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, but imagine the vet bills for a dane on Ol' Roy? My god you'd have to feed him like 10 cups a day.:eek:

Note to self: buy home closer to border...

Sooo true. I could only imagine what it would cost. When I got Cyps he was on puppy food (crap). His feet were flat, he was growing too fast and he just looked unhealthy. Now he has perfect kitty paws, great poops and his overall apperance is great. I could not imagine how much his vet bills would be if I kept him on the puppy food.

Side note: I love being near the border, especially with our high dollar. The dogs are definatley spoiled because of it.

technodoll
July 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
i tried calculating the monthly food costs but just gave up, as their diet is sooooo varied and they never eat the same thing two days in a row... in my house their is a small chest-freezer full to brim with all kinds of RMBs and meat for the doggies (humans get the fridge freezer, LOL), i buy when on sale and freeze in bulk then forget what things cost when i pull it out to thaw... :o i have 3 kinds of kibble here (2 almost done and 1 almost new), canned fishies, how do you calculate eggs and yogurt and olive oil and canned meatball stew and bread and cheese and ... oh lord i have a headache already, LOL!

BUT if i had to throw a ballpark figure in there based on a loose eval... a 110 lbs male and a 70 lbs growing puppy are about $150 per month and they eat better than we do :cool:

Zero vet bills except for vaccinations & spay this year. no allergies, no tummy distresses, no anal glad problems, nuttin' :thumbs up So i'm happy.

Frenchy
July 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM
I won't even go there,food for 3 + foster most of the time,VET BILLS :eek: and people wonder why I'm skinny!The dogs defenetly have IT better than I!

Prin
July 21st, 2006, 11:52 PM
and people wonder why I'm skinny!I thought it was to get technodoll's bro?

:D

technodoll
July 22nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
i wonder if my bro's ears are buzzing right now, ha ha ha! :clown: for the record.. he's into fit and healthy, not into "oh i can't possibly eat that stick of celery, i already had two raisins for breakfast" :eek:

Prin
July 22nd, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well, ya, with so many doggies, Frenchy has to be fit.:) ooo and Puppyluv runs a trillion kms a day too.. ;)

Frenchy
July 22nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Oh no,I do eat!I'm just always doing something (kinda hyper).You want to talk about skinny,I pick up a new foster yesterday,she comes from a BYB (same as Wendy that I fostered 2 months ago) she is 3 years old,golden.I don't even think she's 50 pound.She looks like a 6 months old!:sad: But she will get to eat plenty here.:love:She already learn how to come up the patio stairs,and climb on the bed!She is less scared than Wendy,who would hide in my kitchen.When Kelly wants to hide,she goes under Sam!!:D

Prin
July 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
So many fosters! :eek: She's in paradise now, lucky doggy.:D

marko
July 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Let's get this thread back on track please - or it will be closed.

thx

Marko
ADMIN

glasslass
July 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
I don't keep track - I spend what I need to and what I want to. What do you spend to eat out and go to a movie? How long does the pleasure last? The happiness Den-Den and Corky show when they get a new toy gives me even more pleasure than anything I could buy for a comparable sum of money. I'm sure my blood pressure would be higher without them. I know my mental health would suffer. One thing I've learned is that you can't take things or money with you when you die. All that matters is the love you give and receive in life and I don't believe that dies. I pay my own bills and taxes. I helped my parents in their senior years. I have no children dependent on me that I'm neglecting. I contribute regularly to charity, as well as when my heartstrings are tugged. Everyone has their extravagances and personal necessities they can't do without. My furkids are mine! They're worth every dollar I spend on them. They ask for nothing but our love and our time. Even toys aren't played with until we join in with the play. We give them a share of what we have. They give us their all.

Prin
July 24th, 2006, 12:11 AM
We give them a share of what we have. They give us their all.

Exactly. :)

I give them some food, water, shelter and goodies and they give me the world.:love:

chico2
July 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Yes,unlike many humans I've dealt with in my life,my animals,be they pets or wild,never disappoint or decieve:love:
Women I know,have their nails done,eyebrows done,go to the hairdresser twice a month,nothing wrong with that,but we all have our priorities and those are not mine.
A night at a restaurant can cost $100+,almost never worth it to us...
Not that I need to defend how we spend our money:D we do what's right for us,nobody else:thumbs up