- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


A new member and in trouble with my 2yr old Bassett Hound

July 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM

I want to thank everyone in advance for giving me any advice or help that's available. I have not stopped crying all day. I have been told that my Bassett has had Kidney failure and that the other kidney is in trouble as well. The Dr. said we could bring her home and give her liquids, new diet, etc and she may live awhile. I don't know what Awhile means. Does anyone here have any experience with this area. Please help me if you can. Mona is only two years old and I am really about to stroke out. I need some resolution to either bring her home to hopefully keep her around for awhile and make her life as wonderful as I can. Or I need to know if putting her sown is better for her.

Please give me any advice you can. I need some help right now.

I hope to come back to the forum at a better time with happier topics.

Thanks to everyone in advance.. Brian

July 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
Hi I'm so sorry to hear about your little love one having kidney failure. I'm positive that every case is different, and with that being said I will just share the little bit I know from my experience and perhaps someone will chime in later who knows more about kidney failure. My kitty had kidney failure when he was about 5 yrs old. I don't recall what the vet said when he was sent home but I didn't have much hope he would live long after that because he had quite a bit of nausea and was very thin. I did everything I could for him with diet to keep him with me. I found homeopathy quite helpful also and he really loved canteloupe which I've heard "cools the kidneys" though I'm not sure if it is the same with dogs. He did end up staying with me till he was 14 but I regret not letting him go sooner because he was not very healthy or happy in the last few years of his life. It is so difficult to decide these things but I can tell by your post how much you love your little one and I'm positive that that will help guide you to make the best decisions for both of you. Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask the vet lots of question or research on your own for different possible courses to take. I hope that this is of a little help for now. Warm regards.

July 21st, 2006, 06:37 PM
Double Post. Thread closed to avoid confusion.